C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61 with no reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:58 PM
gzvette61
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 61 with no reverse

Put the HT on my 4 spd 61 for the first time on Sunday to go for a spin. Backed the car onto my downward sloping driveway, installed the top (almost, got 3 of 4 bolts to fit!) and went for a spin. Started drifting down the driveway as I was leaving, put the car into reverse and it ground a little since I was drifting backward, but went in and I backed up. Came home and had to do some dirty work in the garage, so I left the car pointing up on the driveway. Went out a few hours later to move the car, and when I shifted into reverse, the car went forward in first. First gear also seems to be first. Just pulled it into the garage for now.

With the to-do list around the holidays, I haven't gotten in to check it out, but does anyone have any thoughts on this? Shifter or linkage snafu, I'm guessing (hoping). The PO has the "T" installed for appearance, but the reverse lock wasn't put in, since the strong spring detent kept you from choosing the wrong gear. Any thoughts?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:45 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by leadking
Linkage, sometimes the shifting finger gets between the linkage. I've had the transmission in two gears at once, the car won't move!
YEP....it's an old T-10 problem. Linkage needs adjstment and maybe a rebuilt. HURST makes a nice conversion where the linkage is theirs with the factory old shifter handle.

Quick Reply: 61 with no reverse