C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

*General Grand Sport Topic*

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:55 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by groovyjay
Reason I went with those doors is because my stock door went up in flames when the car burned down. Although they are not correct for roadsters, I'm still happy with them and it's another unique GS feature.
=====================================

Groovy:

I think that's a great idea. I to can't imagine why they would not be built that way from the beginning.

Obviously you have Grand Sport Convertible 2.0.

I would do the same thing.

Keep on rocking,

Ty O'Neal
Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Jay your roadster is looking very good. The cool thing about the GS is there really isn't only one way to build them since they seemed to change about every time they raced.
I am curious which ls and trans you are using?

Jeff
Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I think the recessed handles look better myself.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Default Auto crossing our new GS

We worked a couple bugs out of our new GS and took it to Texas vette show. My son drove it in this vid and ended up about a second and a half off the fast time. The brake pedal is to close to the gas pedal plus the power steering pump wont keep up with the rack causing the steering to freeze in quick turns. We have plenty to work on.

I hope this video transfers.

JEFF

The you tube link to video disappears for some reason, I"ll get some technical help tomorrow.

Last edited by silverslashstreak; 06-14-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:04 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

This Grand Sport was at the SVRA race at Watkins Glen last weekend.

I believe this is the car that Forum member "grandsport guy" was building last year. The body came from Kerry Hitt of Advanced Composites in Harrisburg PA, while the frame was from All Pro Cars, also of PA. I went by once to look it over, but no one was there to talk to, and since we were busy trying to keep a couple cars on the track, I never got back over again.

There were actually 2 Grand Sports competing at The Glen. The second one was this one belonging to Ken Mennello of NY. Ken's been racing this car for a few years now.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Great pictures, thanks for posting.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2012, 01:39 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

That blue MAI roadster has had its rear flares widened about an inch on each side. It looks really wide now!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:57 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by groovyjay
That blue MAI roadster has had its rear flares widened about an inch on each side. It looks really wide now!
============================

Jay are the fenders to do that offered somewhere or were they just modifications of the original MAI?

I'm wondering how much modification you can do and still run with the Vintage people?

Ty
Old 06-14-2012, 02:41 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tyoneal
============================

Jay are the fenders to do that offered somewhere or were they just modifications of the original MAI?

I'm wondering how much modification you can do and still run with the Vintage people?

Ty
I would suspect that it is a home made modification to the MAI body. Here's a BIG picture showing the rear flares better.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:47 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Here's another shot.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

I saw the white GS coupe at the Carlisle Kit car show last month. Interesting to see what the flares on the roadster look like widened . When Gary at Mongoose and I were talking about my new GS one option to get the tires under the body more was to widen both the front and rear flares by about 1-2''. Since Gary had my D&D car at the time after looking how they narrowed the suspension mounts he decided that a narrowed suspension versus widened flares would be the way to go. If you look at the front flares on a GS you realize that they really aren't much wider than a stock Corvette fender. Mainly they have a larger radius to allow tire clearance. The rears are wider but strangely enough are still about 2'' less than the SCCA legal ones I have on my 66 coupe.
I definitely like the look of 15'' tires with a offset wheel on a GS . It's a shame that there are no longer any 45 series 17'' tires out there as they also looked good with a bit more sidewall showing. Wheels and tires on a GS with C-4 suspension becomes an subject all it's own !!!!!! I just noticed that the roadster appears to have fresh air under it's RR tire !!! Good hook up !!!! ----------------Ken

Last edited by keystonefarm; 06-14-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:05 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Default consumer alert

Um, when I click on the bar above the images of Ken's Grand Sport to enlarge them, my browser opens a new window to a truly strange web page.

Caveat emptor.

Jim
Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

We have been working out a few of the areas that Dean and his crew missed on and just trying to improve on the over all driveability of the car.

First thing we did was to raise the body a big quarter inch. The ujoints at the front were hitting the tunnel plus the body was laying on the brake lines and the shifter was hitting the tunnel. We made some hard rubber body cushions.

Next thing, the rear coil over shocks were bad and the coils were rubbing on the frame causing alot of beating and banging.. We found a 95 stock spring and installed it. Much smoother ride. Currently have new Bilsteins but have some more shocks coming tomorrow to try and tune the ride. Currently have the rear bar off, just dont like listening to urethane bushings squeak.

Next thing we installed a set of 93 vette seats. They are much more comfortable, hold you in place in hard corners and give more head and leg room than the original style seats. Have another set being covered in the correct blue color.

Next thing to go was the original style gas cap. It was very hard to open plus it leaked very badly in a hard left hander. So we bought a Lemans style cap made a new back plate and welded a new neck on
it. I really like the look but it is so much easier to open plus I don't worry about tearing up the fender every time I open it..

Also put door weather strip around doors stopping a lot of hot air and quieting things down. Still have one door latch not working to smoothly. Thinking about going to C2 style latches.

Fixed a ton of small things but over all a very solid good car.

Our goal is to make a true GT car that will be good for track days plus taking real trips. Who knows may be asking a lot but I think it is doable.

It truly is a dream come true having a Grand Sport in the family.

Jeff
Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Some good Grand Sport content in this video about the '64 Sebring race.

Sebring 1964

Pay particular attention to what the announcer says about A.J. Foyt, starting at 6:15 into the video clip.

Yes, you heard the announcer say "fifty" (50).

Jim
Old 06-23-2012, 02:14 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Some good Grand Sport content in this video about the '64 Sebring race.

Sebring 1964

Pay particular attention to what the announcer says about A.J. Foyt, starting at 6:15 into the video clip.

Yes, you heard the announcer say "fifty" (50).

Jim
Wow, I think it was 1965 when they had the heavy rain in Sebring, I've seen some footage of that race and it looked pretty interesting racing in the rain.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:42 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Couple of new shots...

Old 06-23-2012, 10:40 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

It is looking great Jay. Did you use 1 of the sunoco blues?

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To *General Grand Sport Topic*

Old 06-24-2012, 04:31 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
It is looking great Jay. Did you use 1 of the sunoco blues?

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, the paint is the old sunoco blue and it should look ok once we get all the parts bolted on and the penske decals on it
Old 06-24-2012, 09:34 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Our research shows there has been 2 changes and we went with the first change. It looks very much like yours.
It always seems to get the project moving when the paint work is done.

Jeff
Old 06-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice job Jay. It's really going to look nice.
Larry

Quick Reply: *General Grand Sport Topic*