C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

*General Grand Sport Topic*

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:28 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
Our research shows there has been 2 changes and we went with the first change. It looks very much like yours.
It always seems to get the project moving when the paint work is done.

Jeff
I seem to have similar information. I also compared the paint to all the color pictures I've collected from Sebring 66 and this seems to be the closest color. Mongoose seems to paint their cars to the new Sunoco blue which is a lot lighter shade of blue.

Mongoose car:

Restore original:

Last edited by groovyjay; 06-24-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:32 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizzard
Nice job Jay. It's really going to look nice.
Larry
Thanks Larry, it's been a long way to this point and still a long way ahead but it's getting there.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

Just to let you know the Mongoose Penske car is no more . It became one of the Fast and Furious Cars for the movie. It's now silver !!! It was and my new car is now painted the current Sunoco Blue which came about in the late 60's about 68-69. Color change came from the Pew family which at that time controlled Sunoco. As far as my sources at Sun know there have only been two Sunoco Blues in the companies history. ----------Ken
Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Finally had a couple hours to see if the Acura Integra Type R seats I have will fit the car:

We will have to make some new seat-back pivots, as well as mounts, but they don't weigh any more than the Mongoose seats, and they hold you in place without looking too obnoxious.
Just as Honda, I plan to use suede and knit when they are recovered in the correct colors.
My new quick-steer rack also accepted the shorter 1984 tie-rods, so the steering may not require too much fabrication when I install the narrower front suspension pieces. The new Wilwood front brakes are due here this week, so if we can get enough shop work out of the way, we'll slap it all together in the first few days of July.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Those seats will help you when you really want to step on it. I'm using these seats with 4-point harness.

Of course I removed the head rests.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Jay,
If I could find a pair, I'd probably buy them.
My Wilwood brake set-up arrived today. This will make my work week a long one.....I put their boxes up on a shelf so I'm not so tempted to look at them!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by groovyjay
I would suspect that it is a home made modification to the MAI body. Here's a BIG picture showing the rear flares better.

Jay:

That color really "POPS", Awesome!

Do you have a link for a photo bucket or something?

I hope mine turns out that nice.

Ty
Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by groovyjay
Those seats will help you when you really want to step on it. I'm using these seats with 4-point harness.

Of course I removed the head rests.
Any pics of them in the car yet?? curious how they will look. Without the headrest, they would remind me of a more supportive version of a cobra seat....
Old 06-27-2012, 04:25 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FastEddy
Any pics of them in the car yet?? curious how they will look. Without the headrest, they would remind me of a more supportive version of a cobra seat....

I have couple of shots of them when I test fitted them. But I'm on my way to Goodwood Festival of Speed and will be touring Europe for the next two weeks, so I don't have access to the pics. I'll post some new ones once I get back home. Size-wise they are perfect for my Grand Sport and feel a lot more supportive than the stock C2 seats. Sparco stopped making those seats last year, so they are pretty hard to come by...
Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Just got back from my tour around Europe (in a Corvette of course) and had few boxes waiting for me. My custom made gauges finally arrived.

I try to get them mounted next weekend. Also got a lot of other goodies, so looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the shop again.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:55 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default First time with the Grand Sport at Hallett

Here is a video of my first time on a road course in the Grand Sport. The car did pretty well for the first time. Despite running a 3.08 gear, 330 horse iron motor, rear brakes locking way early and street tires.

We were able to run a few sessions before the 4 speed let go. I have a Dana 44 on its way with a 3.45 gear, that I am hoping to get in before the next time we go. Plus a brake bias adjustment valve to delay rear brake lock up a little.

I just couldn't catch the black Z06, but it was fun trying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjSmRDqaOzI
Jeff

Last edited by silverslashstreak; 07-19-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

What a great video Jeff!
Larry
Old 07-19-2012, 10:14 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizzard
What a great video Jeff!
Larry
Thanks Larry, it is much more technical than I anticipated but great fun.
The car seems like it handles very well given our limited knowledge of road racing. Along with the 3.45 gear that is going in we bought a low mile ctsv ls6 and t56 for the car. Can't wait to get it in the car, probably be a winter project.

Jeff
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Here is a video of my first time on a road course in the Grand Sport. The car did pretty well for the first time. Despite running a 3.08 gear, 330 horse iron motor, rear brakes locking way early and street tires.

We were able to run a few sessions before the 4 speed let go. I have a Dana 44 on its way with a 3.45 gear, that I am hoping to get in before the next time we go. Plus a brake bias adjustment valve to delay rear brake lock up a little.

I just couldn't catch the black Z06, but it was fun trying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjSmRDqaOzI
Jeff
Thanks for the ride Jeff, really enjoyed that!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:33 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Despite running a 3.08 gear,....

I have a Dana 44 on its way with a 3.45 gear,....
My first time ever on track with my #80 was with a 3.36 rear gear. What a dog. (The driver was pretty lousy too......)

When I got serious, I replaced the rear gears with a 3.73 ratio, about the same percent change as you will see in going from 3.08 to 3.45. What a difference! That change really woke up #80.

I predict you'll notice a huge change also when you get that new D44 installed.

Jim
Old 07-20-2012, 06:49 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

You sure are welcome Jay, now we are waiting for you to post a ride like that in your GS.

Jim, I am looking forward to running it with the 3.45, it is going to really wake the car up. I feel like we will end up going with a 3.70. We have a ls6 and a t56 out of a low mile ctsv coming and a 3.70 will be much more compatable with the .50 6 th gear.

Jeff
Old 07-21-2012, 04:53 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeff:

The video is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post it. With the new engine you are putting in it, how much horsepower will it have over your current engine?

Thanks again, I have watched it several times and dreamed.

Ty

Get notified of new replies

To *General Grand Sport Topic*

Old 07-21-2012, 12:11 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Originally Posted by tyoneal
Jeff:

The video is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post it. With the new engine you are putting in it, how much horsepower will it have over your current engine?

Thanks again, I have watched it several times and dreamed.

Ty
The LS6 was used in the 2001-2004 Z06 and was rated at 405 HP. We think with a few little tweaks it should go 425+ pretty easy. So it will be 100 HP more than the iron 350 we currently have, but the real key is the LS is suppose to be 125 lbs. lighter than a iron 350.

The road race forum guys all talk about the LS1 and LS6 as being very reliable without a lot of modification. The ctsv was the only combo we found to use the LS6 with the T56 mated to the engine.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2012, 02:20 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

The LS6 was used in the 2001-2004 Z06 and was rated at 405 HP. We think with a few little tweaks it should go 425+ pretty easy. So it will be 100 HP more than the iron 350 we currently have, but the real key is the LS is suppose to be 125 lbs. lighter than a iron 350.

The road race forum guys all talk about the LS1 and LS6 as being very reliable without a lot of modification. The ctsv was the only combo we found to use the LS6 with the T56 mated to the engine.

Jeff
I'm a firm believer in the LSX family. I've had small blocks and big blocks, I like them as well but c'mon they were designed back in the medieval times and are not the best starting point any longer. I just finished installing a LSX in my 65 coupe, it fired right up and man it pulls nice. It replaced 434ci Shafiroff small block. Even if the my new stock LS motor is down on power it sure feels just as fast and it pulls strong without any hick ups throughout the power band. And the LS motors also response really well to head/cam mods...

Smaller size, lighter weight, more reliable, better fuel efficiency, easy to get tons of power... What's not to like.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Jay I have been putting of learning the LS engine and it's operating systems. You hit the nail on the head tons of power, reliability and very light weight. Can't wait!
Jeff

Quick Reply: *General Grand Sport Topic*