C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

*General Grand Sport Topic*

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:24 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by tyoneal
Hello Again:

I will Continue to use the "EnGULFed" name and livery for my car, and would also like to go N/A with as close to a traditional Side Draft Cross Ram as I can. I want to run EFI and Drive by Wire (DBW) technology so I can incorporate as much equalization as I can from a technology standpoint.

The easiest way to make power appears to use an LS2 (408 CID) or LS3 (416 CID) engine with the compcams kit to bolt on Vintage Corvette Valve covers, and the Prior mentioned "weber" looking Side Draft EFI Cross Ram system. I guess a "Stack" if a Cross Ram is no available that looks halfway decent.

HP goal would be 580-650 with a Flat Torque curve.

First, who make the best looking Cross Ram with the DBW Technology? I want to try and hide as much of the technology as possible. Some of the offering from Hurricane for instance look good, but just not right for this application, other on the market like edelbrock share what amount to a common plenum prior to entering the Runners of the X-Ram. I might be wrong but that seems to defeat the purpose of the individual runners with the throttle bodies (2) one each side instead of (8). Am I wrong, or doesn't this just defeat the purpose altogether in having ITB for each cylinder?

Looks cool (Kind of) but it doesn't make sense and I'm surprised Edelbrock would sell such a thing. More expense for nothing.

Anyway it seems Technology is what is going to help me level the playing field against these much newer cars. The good thing, the field is usually smaller than the over 3200 pound, bad thing, there are some great handling cars in this section.

So exercise in futility, or a fun challenge?

Intakes, which company and model? (DBW & EFI)
LS2, or LS3? (I figure depends on the intake supplier)
Builder of engine?

Best Regards,

Ty O'Neal
With an LS3 this would be the icing on the cake: https://www.levelxms.com/jenvey-dyna...e-body-itb-kit

Last edited by groovyjay; 05-31-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:24 AM
slyvet63
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Old Skool

Well Ty,
All that stuff sounds really cool, all the tech and advancements to become competitive with the modern cars. But, I can't help but think about your original mission and what you started out to build. Remember the Grand Sports were the best tech of the day, in their day day. That's what made them what they were. Their day in the sun was short lived and they were quickly over come by a lot of new advancements that made them dinosaurs, but not before they got a chance to show their might and spirit.

Personally, I'm far more interested in the raw mechanics and brute force of the Grand Sport as they were. They were never the high tech modern fly/drive by wire cars loaded down with gizmos. They were Raw-Stripped-Down, Aggressive in your face monsters. Just go back and look at those black and white photos of them lined up at the starting lines in the Bahamas. They must have stood two feet taller than anything else out there. They never turned a single corner on the track....They drifted corners. It was raw power, seat of your pants kind of racing. That's what a Grand Sport is.

It's your car to do whatever turns you on and we respect that. Just show us lots of pictures..please.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:25 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by groovyjay
With an LS3 this would be the icing on the cake: https://www.levelxms.com/jenvey-dyna...e-body-itb-kit
Groovy Jay:

I agree I saw it and really liked it. With the GS "Daytona" hood I bet some longer Trumpets would even work underneath and help spread out the torque curve. (Unless I have this backwards)

The Two Questions I have are:

1) Is the Jenvey a "Drive by Wire" unit?

2) Does the Taper of the ITB's hurt the performance trying to get 600+hp/550+ Tq? They list (SFD58/45/0 taper throttle bodies with a solid linkage, two EFI inlet manifolds)

I'm guessing that is a 58 mm to 46 mm Taper? Is this just for packaging or is there a performance reason for this?

Thanks for the link, Very Beautiful!

Ty
Old 06-01-2017, 05:59 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by slyvet63
Well Ty,
All that stuff sounds really cool, all the tech and advancements to become competitive with the modern cars. But, I can't help but think about your original mission and what you started out to build. Remember the Grand Sports were the best tech of the day, in their day day. That's what made them what they were. Their day in the sun was short lived and they were quickly over come by a lot of new advancements that made them dinosaurs, but not before they got a chance to show their might and spirit.

Personally, I'm far more interested in the raw mechanics and brute force of the Grand Sport as they were. They were never the high tech modern fly/drive by wire cars loaded down with gizmos. They were Raw-Stripped-Down, Aggressive in your face monsters. Just go back and look at those black and white photos of them lined up at the starting lines in the Bahamas. They must have stood two feet taller than anything else out there. They never turned a single corner on the track....They drifted corners. It was raw power, seat of your pants kind of racing. That's what a Grand Sport is.

It's your car to do whatever turns you on and we respect that. Just show us lots of pictures..please.
================================
slyvet63:

10-4 Loud and Clear:

I think the raw power vs. the weight will not be a major issue. The rules of the the contest dictate that certain type of technology are aloud. I would rather utilize what is allowed and have a chance at a 55 y/o car beating a new car, or at least some new cars, one could always disconnect ABS.Traction Control etc. for the raw experience of driving, however since my driving skills are unlikely to be able to make up for the difference, I would rather have a good showing amongst some obviously newer cars, than come in dead last with a Corvette ICON being truly handicapped against the competition.

Plus they wouldn't know I was running the technology automatically. I can always turn it off, or remove it at a later date, but the GS was slated to have 125 "Street Versions" of the car that would have not been near as raw as the racing version, and since a full interior, streetable tires, inspection, and insurance, and 200 Treadware Tires, are a requirement for competition, might as well use what is allowable for the "Game".

As far as I can tell having a Vintage car that tries to hold onto a 55 y/o heritage is still something very cool. Anyone can go and buy a new EVO, making an old Corvette be able to not be embarrassed would be quite a feat. Plus, think of all the people who have never seen a GS. They could be introduced to something we grew up with AND they saw it kick some serious rear end.

Everyone who has a "Reproduction" which is just about everyone, and those that are licensed for the street, have all made sacrifices, some like A/C, and an engine that will idle, and tires you can drive on wet streets. A 2600 pound car with 600 hp will have 4.3 ponds per horsepower!

That in and of itself will produce a Very Raw, Hellacious ride like very few others in the world. Drifting around corners in my 3200 pound Porsche with 320 horse power is enough to scare the hell out of most people and that is @ 10 pounds per horsepower.

Anyway, with regards to the questions I asked as to how to get my car prepared to be competitive against other lightweight vehicles, how can I get there?

Suggestions or ideas on how to prep for this contest?

I am open and want to learn, what do you know, and how can I accomplish the best preparation possible without going crazy?

As I did when I was a kid, I wanted to compete in real competition, in as close to a Corvette GS as I possibility can.

Ty O'Neal
"EnGULFed" with one life to live, as much as I can, with what time I have. What else could be more fun than that?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Groovy Jay:

I agree I saw it and really liked it. With the GS "Daytona" hood I bet some longer Trumpets would even work underneath and help spread out the torque curve. (Unless I have this backwards)

The Two Questions I have are:

1) Is the Jenvey a "Drive by Wire" unit?

2) Does the Taper of the ITB's hurt the performance trying to get 600+hp/550+ Tq? They list (SFD58/45/0 taper throttle bodies with a solid linkage, two EFI inlet manifolds)

I'm guessing that is a 58 mm to 46 mm Taper? Is this just for packaging or is there a performance reason for this?

Thanks for the link, Very Beautiful!

Ty
The jenvey's meet the head's intake ports at the wrong angle for best efficiency.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:01 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizzard
The jenvey's meet the head's intake ports at the wrong angle for best efficiency.
======================================
Mr Wizzard:

Good Call!

Thank you.

What Brand is the most efficient?

Ty
Old 06-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

======================================
Mr Wizzard:

Good Call!

Thank you.

What Brand is the most efficient?

Ty
There are only a couple of choices at present. Kinsler, and Harrop. I own a set of Kinsler's for my big engine project, and I have a Harrop set-up on the way for my LS3.
I also have a set of the Jenvey's for my LS3, but I decided not to fool with them once I mocked things up and saw the awful port alignment issue. Their throttle linkage is also mickey-mouse.
I think Kinsler sells a drive-by-wire throttle set-up now, and the Harrop's are also available with drive-by-wire. (https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/autom...e-manifold-etc)

Last edited by Mr. Wizzard; 06-02-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:38 AM
zoraarcus
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default My #004 Off To Paint

All the holes drilled, hood support moved, interior mods done, interior windshield trim thrown across garage a few times so load in trailer and off to get orange peel dull lacquer like paint.
Larry T.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:46 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

There are only a couple of choices at present. Kinsler, and Harrop. I own a set of Kinsler's for my big engine project, and I have a Harrop set-up on the way for my LS3.
I also have a set of the Jenvey's for my LS3, but I decided not to fool with them once I mocked things up and saw the awful port alignment issue. Their throttle linkage is also mickey-mouse.
I think Kinsler sells a drive-by-wire throttle set-up now, and the Harrop's are also available with drive-by-wire. (https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/autom...e-manifold-etc)
Do you know if the LS7 Heads would work better with the Jenvey? I know the Harrop is a good unit, but I was wanting to find something if possible that looked a bit more Vintage Looking.

Of course Kinsler I guess will do anything one is willing to pay for.

Ty
Old 07-04-2017, 09:12 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Do you have any thoughts on the Speedmaster Intake?

https://speedmaster79.com/pce1481056...omplete-satin/

Thanks as always,

Ty
Old 07-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Do you have any thoughts on the Speedmaster Intake?

https://speedmaster79.com/pce1481056...omplete-satin/

Thanks as always,

Ty
It's identical to the Jenvey set-up, just cheaper. Got one of them as well...There's no way to aim the runners to make them more efficient...
Note the angle of the manifold runner where it meets the intake port. Air/fuel don't like to make that sort of bend without serious losses.

Last edited by Mr. Wizzard; 09-19-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:55 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Default GS #003 at Road America

I have in-car video of Bob Paterson driving #003 at Road America. I've had it for decades but have only recently digitized it from VHS tape. For anyone who has interest, I'm willing to make a *few* DVDs of this video.

Wait, though. Before you say you want one, let me tell you why you might not:

1. The video quality is terrible.
-There is a ghastly green hue to the video
- The camera (and hence the video) vibrates
- Low resolution.... typical of consumer grade recording equipment 35 years ago
- The video goes completely black at important moments

2. The audio quality is terrible.... raspy and generally unpleasant

3. The GS stalls on the pre-grid. The rest of the field has a 4 minute head start

4. The GS DNFs due to clutch failure.

So why might you want this video anyway?

Better than anything else I've seen, this video shows the incredible capability of the Grand Sports. Bob Paterson was, for my nickle, the best driver these cars ever had and this is your chance to see him at work. At one point he gets the GS sideways, never lifts, and keeps racing.

Total run time is a little over an hour. There is a practice session and the race. Media format is a .wmv file on a DVD+R.

$10 will cover my cost to duplicate, package, and mail these out if you want one.

I have other priorities so it might take me a couple of weeks or more to make your copy. Be patient.

Use the CF email option to contact me and indicate your interest.

Moderators: I ain't makin' money doing this so don't get your panties in a twist. I'm just offering to share with other GS owners something I think they will enjoy and I'm not willing to shoulder the cost of doing so.

Jim
Old 07-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Out me down for one Jim. Let me know how you'd like payment and I'll get it to you.
Larry
Old 07-14-2017, 02:29 PM
Kyle DePretis
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I remember your car well and the damage it suffered. I hope it's completely repaired and working well now. And, I knew Rick, the fellow from whom you bought it.

I believe yours was the 2nd roadster built. #020 is a maroon roadster out of Florida and it is the earliest serial numbered D&D I know about.

(Before serial numbers were assigned, D&D Grand Sports were assigned VINs based on a Julian date.)

Jim
Hi my name is Kyle depretis. Lou depretis was my father. I now road race corvettes I Renner this car from my youth 4 weeks ago my father fell on his gun and it discharged into his chest he is no longer with us. Please find me on Facebook I will pay top dollar to ride around the track in this car with my mother it would mean the world yo my family he won the vintage grad pri in this car. You name your price and I will pay it you can find me on Facebook and I will give you my number please get this message to the owner of this car it made my day to find this thread. Please get in contact with me this would finally be something to put a smile on her face through all this please.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Kyle DePretis
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Kyle DePretis
Hi my name is Kyle depretis. Lou depretis was my father. I now road race corvettes I Renner this car from my youth 4 weeks ago my father fell on his gun and it discharged into his chest he is no longer with us. Please find me on Facebook I will pay top dollar to ride around the track in this car with my mother it would mean the world yo my family he won the vintage grad pri in this car. You name your price and I will pay it you can find me on Faceb4ook and I will give you my number please get this message to the owner of this car it made my day to find this thread. Please get in contact with me this would finally be something to put a smile on her face through all this please.
I'm new to this forum and replied to the wrong post I'm sorry but my father's car was the one that said Lou depretis on the door we had 2 a coupe and convertible. Please find me on Facebook. I will pay you. I want a picture of me in this car. I would love to take a ride in it and for my mom to see. Please name your price please.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Kyle DePretis
3rd Gear

Just call me 412 551 0442 I will answer day or night please
Old 07-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Who DAT
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grand Sport to purchase

I've been reading post on the Corvette Forum for awhile and have never posted a comment to forgive me if I'm going about this the wrong way.
I've been searching the internet for a GS Replica coupe and everything I find is an old listing of a car that was sold a long time ago. If anyone knows of a GS Replica coupe for sale and could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To *General Grand Sport Topic*

Old 07-15-2017, 05:45 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Who DAT
I've been reading post on the Corvette Forum for awhile and have never posted a comment to forgive me if I'm going about this the wrong way.
I've been searching the internet for a GS Replica coupe and everything I find is an old listing of a car that was sold a long time ago. If anyone knows of a GS Replica coupe for sale and could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. Thanks!
What type of GS are you looking for ? More original, modern ? Street car with a/c ? Or old school. ---- Ken
Old 07-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Who DAT
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer a GS like the Mid America cars with donor bird cages but not opposed to the newer designs. Street first, but able to make occasional trips to a road course. AC and radio is not important. I found the following post on the internet and the car listed there would be perfect....but like everything else I've found it was sold a year ago. Thanks Ken

https://myclassicgarage.com/marketpl.../media/3441501
The following users liked this post:
flared66 (07-15-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 PM
pvk308
3rd Gear

Hi guys new to the forum and from the land down under..... I am an avid plastic model car kit builder and currently i am undertaking a project making or converting a 1/8 65 corvette kit into a Grand Sport....... I have managed to find the measurements for the chassis in 1/1 scale and converted it into 1/8 scale my only issue is I am unable to find the size of the tubing used in the front suspension on the original chassis that housed the coil over shocks and springs is any one able to assist or help me find the measurement please find a picture with the area I am talking about sorry for its poor quality

Last edited by pvk308; 08-04-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: *General Grand Sport Topic*