C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear Quarter Panels

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 PM
a66bbvet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Quarter Panels

Echlers has a new product for the mid year vets. It is a stock looking rear quarter panel that is 1.5 inches wider than the stock panel. The body line is still there and they say it will allow you to run wider tires. The main difference is the stock panels are molded but the wider panels are hand laid fiberglass.

Has anyone in the forum used these new panels and did they work as advertised? Do they look straight or do they have a waveiness?
Old 02-13-2011, 02:50 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Look at this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...resto-rod.html

Mike Stockdale's guys put them on at SRIII. I finished and painted them. They are pretty good. You want to watch the bottom curl, in front of the wheel, to make sure that your rocker molding will be straight. I'm putting them on my next restomod-----BIG MEAT!!!!!!!

Mike Coletta

Last edited by mike coletta; 02-13-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:01 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

When properly installed and viewed from the rear you won't even notice them. From the front a familiar eye will be able to tell that they are pushing out in front of the rear wheel well but they still look good.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 AM
a66bbvet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"61RETRO" I read your link and they said that they used the GTS rear quarters. Is that where Echlers get their's from? GTS said their midyear's were only "1" inch wider and the Echler's said their's are "1.5" inches wider.

Just questioning and trying to antisipate the issues I am going to run into.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:47 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I'm sure they do. I doubt that Ecklers has tooled up to make this part. The GTS part has been around for quite some time. You can actually get more than 1.5" out of them, depending on how they are installed. Greg T (at GTS), says that they fit "naturally" at about 1.5", but if you block it out at the center, while you're gluing????? Call Greg, he'll give you the lowdown. 805-582-0276

Mike Coletta
Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 AM
KD pro
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rear 1.5" wider quarter panels for '63 to '67 at Ecklers

Hello everyone. To introduce myself, I am the vendor that provides Ecklers with these new quarter panels. They were created by hand by professionals at great cost and shaped up from urethane foam on a car (much like in the fashion the clay models were (are) done in Detroit). A completely new mold was made for both left and right parts.

They are similar to the old GTS quarters but of course they are 1.5" wider and lay on the car nicely-- no tweeking to gain the extra tire clearance. They are very nice high quality hand laid pieces and since they are made from new molds the fit is exceptional.

They have been purposely made and trimmed to allow the home do it your self guy to install them correctly by leaving tel-tale features in the mold for proper alignments.

And they are made with pride right here in the USA!

FWIW , thanks!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KD pro
Hello everyone. To introduce myself, I am the vendor that provides Ecklers with these new quarter panels. They were created by hand by professionals at great cost and shaped up from urethane foam on a car (much like in the fashion the clay models were (are) done in Detroit). A completely new mold was made for both left and right parts.

They are similar to the old GTS quarters but of course they are 1.5" wider and lay on the car nicely-- no tweeking to gain the extra tire clearance. They are very nice high quality hand laid pieces and since they are made from new molds the fit is exceptional.

They have been purposely made and trimmed to allow the home do it your self guy to install them correctly by leaving tel-tale features in the mold for proper alignments.

And they are made with pride right here in the USA!

FWIW , thanks!
now that's a good thing! ...
Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vt65
now that's a good thing! ...
Well you know the next question: .... do you retail them to Forum members? ...
Old 04-14-2011, 10:16 PM
KD pro
4th Gear

Our agreement with Ecklers does not allow us to sell them at this time directly to customers, sorry.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 PM
KD pro
4th Gear

also to add... the OEM rear bumpers fit back onto the car with no problems or mods.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:30 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,046 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Are they the full 1/4 panel? I have seen some that are 3/4 of the panel. Thanks
Old 04-15-2011, 05:58 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,046 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
Are they the full 1/4 panel? I have seen some that are 3/4 of the panel. Thanks
I think I answered my own question, I went on eckelers web site and found them and in side view they look like full panels, but in the back view you can see they are cut short of the factory seams at the tail light panel and rear valance, so you would need to modity the back to fit. I did a search and found a guy who makes the full panel.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:48 PM
KD pro
4th Gear

Be careful.
There was a customer that had purchased a pair of "full panel" replacement wider quarter panels that was described to me as very disappointing (his words were much less cordial). He sent them back.

I had the opportunity to speak with him since his initial order was for only one of our 1.5" wider rear quarter panels. We contacted him to be sure he had not mis-ordered thinking he was getting an OEM replacement non-widened panel-- since obviously he would need a pair of our wider ones to match.

He related his story to me and he explained that he only wanted to order one of ours to be sure the quality was of his satisfaction before ordering the other side.

I assure you, if you still have quarter panels on the car the ones we sell will be a pleasant surprise given the current quality on the market when it comes to a 1.5" wider panel.

Regarding the place where our panels end-- it was a decision made to reach a "happy medium" when it came to ease of installment for many who may not have the expertise to make sure the panel is properly aligned before any cutting is done. Additionally, it becomes a much easier process to make what is in effect a fender "repair" instead of the more time intensive full quarter panel replacement. Unfortunately, some guys still wish it was a full panel.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

I'd rather replace an entire panel before a splice, its much cleaner and easier in the long run.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:07 PM
bert54
Cruising

Default SR III quarter panels

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
I'd rather replace an entire panel before a splice, its much cleaner and easier in the long run.
Does anyone have experience with the full quarter panels from SRIII for a c1. On the expensive side ad said they add 2” per side.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Quarter Panels

Quick Reply: Rear Quarter Panels