C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

soft top installation cost??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Have you looked into installing the top yourself? Al Knoch sells a dvd on how to do it, and it doesn't look like it's too hard. I'll be trying it myself here in the next week or two.

Gerry
Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Mossy66
Have you looked into installing the top yourself? Al Knoch sells a dvd on how to do it, and it doesn't look like it's too hard. I'll be trying it myself here in the next week or two.

Gerry
I watched the Al Knock DVD - twice...and then I couldn't get my car to a professional fast enough. There are some tricks and tips to get to a really nice fit that aren't in that video. If you are just doing a cheapee vinyl rag top and screw up its not the end of the world....if you are doing a high-end, expensive Stayfast Haartz top then you do NOT want to learn-on-the-job with that material. One bad cut and you get to buy another one.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
....if you are doing a high-end, expensive Stayfast Haartz top then you do NOT want to learn-on-the-job with that material. One bad cut and you get to buy another one.
Uh oh. Well, I guess I'll measure three times before I cut once, and hope for the best.

Gerry
Old 02-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Tom E.
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My '65 canvas top was installed 01/04/10. Bought from these guys; I don't think you'll be disappointed:

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/co...rolet-Corvette

Haartz Black Stayfast Canvas Top w/Plastic Window & Supplies @ $349 + $20 S&H.

Local Professional Installation W/New Pads @ $450.

Total: $819.00
Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Tom E.
My '65 canvas top was installed 01/04/10. Bought from these guys; I don't think you'll be disappointed:

That's a very reasonable price for a Stayfast with professional installation. I sure wouldn't put myself through the headache of attempting a self-install of an expensive top for that price!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Bruce Wayne
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Are we to assume you did not have to rehab your frame?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Tom E.
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That's a very reasonable price for a Stayfast with professional installation. I sure wouldn't put myself through the headache of attempting a self-install of an expensive top for that price!

I don't think this is a job most guys really want to tackle, no matter how "mechanical" they are.

(Like you said earlier, "one bad cut and you get to buy another one"). IMHO, I would never have considered doing this job really no matter what the labor cost was, because it would still be cheaper than my time screwing indefinitely with it and probable multiple top purchases. Plus, I figured if the shop that specializes in this type of thing screwed it up, then they can replace it.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I don't think this is a job most guys really want to tackle, no matter how "mechanical" they are.

(Like you said earlier, "one bad cut and you get to buy another one"). IMHO, I would never have considered doing this job really no matter what the labor cost was, because it would still be cheaper than my time screwing indefinitely with it and probable multiple top purchases. Plus, I figured if the shop that specializes in this type of thing screwed it up, then they can replace it.
My thinking too. Its not the typical mechanical task where a book and some patience pay off. The best top installers have lots of experience and tricks. My installer (a forum member) gave me a quick lesson on how he aligns C1 frames with a block of wood and tricks he does to get the side window upper track correct, special tips on ordering pads, etc.. Lots of stuff I didn't see in the Al Knoch video.

The more he talked the happier I was to write him a check.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Tom E,
That is something I hadn't really considered...point is let the pro's do there thing ...and if they botch it it's on them...there can be wrinkles and miss alingment possibilities also...
Tx for the in put....

Bluzrocker
Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Tom E.
Drifting

Originally Posted by bluzrocker
Tom E,
That is something I hadn't really considered...point is let the pro's do there thing ...and if they botch it it's on them...there can be wrinkles and miss alingment possibilities also...
Tx for the in put....

Bluzrocker
Yep, my advice would be to first ask around for recommendations from some local car guys at a cruise night or classic car show. Most cities have a handful of upholstery and/or professional "top shops", and installing a pre-cut manufactured top specific to these old Vettes is pretty routine to some of them...and prices may vary.

However, I found my installation guy(s) by talking to a bunch of other guys that drove great looking Hot Rods that all had custom made canvas tops and interiors at a car show. They said most of the really good installers are sometimes kind of hard to find because they don't advertise - most of their business is by referral word of mouth and their shops are not always easy to find.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:51 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

In many areas of the country finding people that know how to install a convert top is becoming more and more difficult. It is far from being a routine job. For some newer convert's even dealers don't know who to turn too to replace a damaged top
Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

I have done about 300 Corvette tops. Mostly C-1, C-2 and C-3's. I only do Corvette tops. I can tell you that there is a different challenge with each car. Especially projects that may have been hit or have a top frame from another car. Then there is the rust factor. C-1's are the hardest. The frame itself is very flimsy and is made ridged when the canvas is installed. I started doing the tops when a local shop botched my first Corvette top. I ruined the first top I tried to install. Poked a hole right thru the canvas. One thing I have told anyone who is trying to do this themselves is that if you try to go by the directions given in the shop manual you are asking for trouble. A good start is the Al Knox video.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:13 PM
macpilot
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about the total cost to install on a car that is "soft top delete"?

I am looking at getting a car that has been described as such, so I am assuming this means there is no hardware at all currently installed on the car to accept a soft top.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by macpilot
What about the total cost to install on a car that is "soft top delete"?

I am looking at getting a car that has been described as such, so I am assuming this means there is no hardware at all currently installed on the car to accept a soft top.
Al Knoch buys frames, therefore he would carry frames sutable to recover wherever you purchase the materials....a phone call to them could satisfy the frame issue and hardware
Old 03-10-2014, 06:27 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Default convertable top installation

It cost me 400.00 for the install, top looks perfect. The down side ,I didn't assemble the top with all the new weather stripping after i took the frame all apart and refinished same. I should have fit the frame to the car after I was done wit the rehab. Result, a beautiful top that doesn't fit the way it should, my fault . What I learned was make sure the frame fits the car before anyone puts a canvas over it or you may be very dissapointed in the result . I hope the helps. Jeff
Old 03-12-2014, 04:55 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by quahog
What I learned was make sure the frame fits the car before anyone puts a canvas over it or you may be very dissapointed in the result . I hope the helps. Jeff

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
I can tell you that there is a different challenge with each car. Especially projects that may have been hit or have a top frame from another car. Then there is the rust factor. C-1's are the hardest. The frame itself is very flimsy and is made ridged when the canvas is installed.

The tops themselves are not all that hard to install but you should have the correct equipment and patience.

I've put the last two tops we installed on our Facebook page in hopes that it will help someone do their own installation.

1) The frame needs to be refurbished... All worn bushings, rust and other issues should be repaired. The top should be smooth and non-binding.

2) Always fit the frame to the doors with the new weatherstrips prior to a top installation.

3) If you have a hardtop always adjust the door glass to fit the hardtop first, then adjust the softtop frame to match the door glass.

There are a bunch of other tips that might make your job easier. I think anyone can do the installation. Plus there are plenty of people here to help you if needed.

Expect the un-expected.

All new top kits come with pads, straps and hold-in cord.

60 top installation https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6912924&type=3

65 blue top installation. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6912924&type=3

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 03-12-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:50 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I have been looking for someone to install tops on my C1s for the past four years. every installer I contacted in the northwest Indiana area say they have no one experienced in installing a top on any C1. I would at least like to have a top installed on my 59. the last installer left me topless when he discovered it was a bigger job than he expected. he couldn't get the new top to fit and after reordering a new top he just put kept putting me off. if anyone knows of a installer in my area let me know.

Get notified of new replies

To soft top installation cost??

Old 03-13-2014, 09:37 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

About an hour and a half from you is Steve Mann.. I'm not sure if he is still doing the work or if he does soft tops... but you might give them a call. Mann's Corvette Shop Inc 13644 McKinley Highway,, Mishawaka, Indiana 46545
(574) 256-1981
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Takes me about 4-5 hours to do a top, from start to finish, assuming the frame is clean to start with. I think that anything over $500-$600 would be too expensive. Obviously, blasting and painting the frame would not be included in this.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Al Knoch gets $525.00 to install 'his' tops....there isn`t any one in the country that can do a better job..and in the mood does several a day....I mention this because others have attempted to install the tops and will compare or use Al`s prices...and it could be a idiot installing the tops... A trick 'PRO' installer that had never done a Vette and shall remain nameless, recently took 3 days fuking the top up in the process did a lousy job and then charged Al`s prices .Many here on the forum have installed tops and did a great job,..{no wrinkles or too tight} and they look as good as Al`s
Al's guys do nice work.

Quick Reply: soft top installation cost??