C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A different Grand Sport Paint Scheme

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:58 AM
restoreclassics
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Concept

Funny to have run across this post. Currently our shop is building a "what if" C-1. The premise was what if the Grand Sport was produced earlier in history, say 1959?

We are builders of modified C-1 Corvettes with several cars a year going out the door and also build them for the Barrett-Jackson auctions. We kicked around this idea for well over a year. I think the idea is valid and done correctly, with some liberties taken of course- afterall we are building modified C-1's to start with- it should be an interesting car for this genre.

I love the Gulf idea. It translates very very well. Sure stirs the blood. And takes some ***** to fly against the wind so to speak, Corvette owners being the purists they are many times, but I think this gives the imagination a chance to stretch its legs. And I think its great to see something fresh once in a while. That's what has motivated us to build the Grand Sport based C-1 we are doing now. Hopefully we'll make the Scottsdale auction with it for 2013 in January. That's the target but the car is evolving too so who knows?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:56 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by restoreclassics
Funny to have run across this post. Currently our shop is building a "what if" C-1. The premise was what if the Grand Sport was produced earlier in history, say 1959?

We are builders of modified C-1 Corvettes with several cars a year going out the door and also build them for the Barrett-Jackson auctions. We kicked around this idea for well over a year. I think the idea is valid and done correctly, with some liberties taken of course- afterall we are building modified C-1's to start with- it should be an interesting car for this genre.

I love the Gulf idea. It translates very very well. Sure stirs the blood. And takes some ***** to fly against the wind so to speak, Corvette owners being the purists they are many times, but I think this gives the imagination a chance to stretch its legs. And I think its great to see something fresh once in a while. That's what has motivated us to build the Grand Sport based C-1 we are doing now. Hopefully we'll make the Scottsdale auction with it for 2013 in January. That's the target but the car is evolving too so who knows?
=====================================

Thanks a million for the encouragement.

I am dying to get this car done and on the road. Phil Schmitt should have the wheels ready soon, and there are a couple of other parts I am missing, other than that I'm good to go.

I've been working on the subassemblies currently so things appear to be going slow, but the smaller parts are becoming fewer.

Being, "Off the Path", so to speak is fine with me. One of the best things about this hobby is the ability to dream or create. I will be interested to see what people think, but it won't both me one way or the other if it's not their thing. It's a concept that has been floating around in my head for quite a while, and hopefully I'll have the only one like it.

If you wouldn't mind, send me a link where I can watch your Grand Sport's progress. I would really like to see how you address the concept, and to what extent your willing to go with the body work. Your concept is "Juicy", I would love to give a project like that a go. (Too bad I'm not rich!)

I have a couple of other renderings being done so the whole car can be seen. Attached you can see the perspectives that will be covered.

These line drawings are perfect for my God Son. He was wanting something to color, and I thought, I got just the thing for you. They are not complete with all the details yet. (I'm Missing all the pressure relief holes in the rear) I'm interested to see how he chooses to color these.

Anyway I'm forging ahead and before too long I'll have some great pictures to show and eventually some Videos.

"I love the smell of tire smoke in the mourning!" (Cheap cliche, but it works, hopefully)

Let's keep in contact.

Take care,

Ty O'Neal
Attached Images   

Last edited by tyoneal; 10-07-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:58 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,524 Likes on 3,002 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Weeeeelllll, it sort of was.

You see, legendary Corvette road racer Dave MacDonald conceived of an ultra lightweight racing Corvette back in '62 and had just such a beast built. It was about 9/10 scale, weighed 1700 lbs and looked like this:

This car, as it turns out, seems to have been what inspired Zora Duntov to build.... wait for it.... the Grand Sports.

Read more about Dave MacDonald here:

Dave MacDonald's Lightweight Corvette

Jim
Old 10-07-2011, 11:23 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Jim, I've always been fascinated by that car. Do you know if it still exists or what became of it?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:05 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood

You see, legendary Corvette road racer Dave MacDonald conceived of an ultra lightweight racing Corvette back in '62 and had just such a beast built. It was about 9/10 scale, weighed 1700 lbs and looked like this:

This car, as it turns out, seems to have been what inspired Zora Duntov to build.... wait for it.... the Grand Sports.

Jim
===============================
Jim:

Great picture and story.

One of the reasons I loved at an early age auto racing from the late 50's to the early 70's was as you quote, "It was a 9/10th Scale weighing 1700 Pounds".

The Creativity used for an advantage, legal or not, of that time period Is one of the things that made the sport so much fun to watch.

Everyone was so focused on building a more efficient race car, that the innovation of acid dipping, scaling down the size, all the games played with weight, the innovations of the Chaparral Racing Team are legendary, etc., etc.

What a great time to be a racer and a fan. The Guys were fearless given the safety equipment available, and the attrition rate of the drivers via crashes and other mishaps. The Cars that could race in a given race could be made in multiple designs.

While I like some of the drivers today, I think the sport at that time was at its pinnacle as far as just plain old fun and excitement. Sponsorship did not drive the sport, it was the other way around.

I know this is a tangent, but its hard not to grin when you remember where things had been.

I for one miss it.

Ty O'Neal
Old 10-08-2011, 08:21 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by K2
Jim, I've always been fascinated by that car. Do you know if it still exists or what became of it?
Klaus,

The only thing I've ever read about its ultimate fate is towards the bottom of that web page dedicated to Dave MacDonald:

The Corvette Special is a one-of-a-kind beauty and quite valuable. Unfortunately the last known sighting of the car
was out by the Honolulu Airport in 1965.
So, who's up for a trip to the islands to search for it???

Jim
Old 10-12-2011, 08:50 AM
restoreclassics
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tyoneal
=====================================

Thanks a million for the encouragement.

I am dying to get this car done and on the road. Phil Schmitt should have the wheels ready soon, and there are a couple of other parts I am missing, other than that I'm good to go.

I've been working on the subassemblies currently so things appear to be going slow, but the smaller parts are becoming fewer.

Being, "Off the Path", so to speak is fine with me. One of the best things about this hobby is the ability to dream or create. I will be interested to see what people think, but it won't both me one way or the other if it's not their thing. It's a concept that has been floating around in my head for quite a while, and hopefully I'll have the only one like it.

If you wouldn't mind, send me a link where I can watch your Grand Sport's progress. I would really like to see how you address the concept, and to what extent your willing to go with the body work. Your concept is "Juicy", I would love to give a project like that a go. (Too bad I'm not rich!)

I have a couple of other renderings being done so the whole car can be seen. Attached you can see the perspectives that will be covered.

These line drawings are perfect for my God Son. He was wanting something to color, and I thought, I got just the thing for you. They are not complete with all the details yet. (I'm Missing all the pressure relief holes in the rear) I'm interested to see how he chooses to color these.

Anyway I'm forging ahead and before too long I'll have some great pictures to show and eventually some Videos.

"I love the smell of tire smoke in the mourning!" (Cheap cliche, but it works, hopefully)

Let's keep in contact.

Take care,

Ty O'Neal
Ty,

Encouragement for sure. I really love your car. As to your question..... you can find us at Facebook/CustomCarsOmaha or just look for Custom Cars of Omaha. Keep in mind though that the bulk of what we do is updated and modified C-1's. Our "concept" car is along those lines, even though pursuing the Grand Sport theme as applied to a 1959.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:55 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ty,

Encouragement for sure. I really love your car. As to your question..... you can find us at Facebook/CustomCarsOmaha or just look for Custom Cars of Omaha. Keep in mind though that the bulk of what we do is updated and modified C-1's. Our "concept" car is along those lines, even though pursuing the Grand Sport theme as applied to a 1959.
===============================

I think your on to a great concept. I think it's great to put some of yourself (Ideas) into any project, own it, make it yours. At the very least 50 years from now there might be a picture of mine or your cars floating around and someone will remark:

"What the Hell was that Nimrod thinking when he did the Gulf thing to his car?"

Similar to **** Carpeting, Leisure suites, Bee-hive hair doos, and "Gangsta Rap" (oops forgot the "C" in the last word, oh well Freudian slip of the fingers)

Ty
Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should have "01" on the side instead of buckshot...
Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are the rest of the Renderings. There are one or two very small items to be changed, but for the most part these are basically complete. The Composite hasn't been done yet, however Ben has put an example that really shows some of his professional work, obviously he is a great talent for our hobby. I hope he stays busy, and continues to be successful.

I'll get the composite straightened out very soon. Been busy with stupid work I can't avoid right now.

Here is everything I have. I will be installing things on the chassis, and will post the progress on the main thread. Things are finally moving toward the home stretch.

Thanks God.

Ty
Attached Images      
Old 11-21-2011, 01:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Ben is extremely talented - his work is beautiful!

I know they're nits, but I'd ask him to a) Correct the parked position of the wipers, and b) Add the vent grilles below the windshield; photo below was shot at Nassau in 1963.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2011, 02:29 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

John,

That's the only really good Nassau engine picture I've ever seen. Surely someone must have made more but in the 12 years I've been OCD on the Grand Sports, I've never seen one.

Jim
Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I think it was built along the lines of the Old Yallers. Balchowsky would chalk the frame rail dimensions on the floor, lay down the tubing, and start marking, cutting and welding! Vertical and horizontal tubes were added to support the body and help protect the driver.

Max probably got the body from Roger Brunelle over the hill in Studio City. This shop was known as Bruno's Corvette Repair, and was one of the pioneers of six tail lights, right from the start in the fall of 1960. Many of the top Corvette racers added the extra lights to their cars, and this trend continued into the C2s.

Unlike the Old Yallers, with their Buick, Pontiac, Studebaker, etc. components, the MacDonald special was probably all Chevy under the skin.

Originally Posted by jim lockwood

Jim

Last edited by sub006; 11-22-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello:

My car is moving forward again finally and I just purchased the rest of the parts I needed for the car.

I went through Mongoose Motor Sports for these parts as I think they are mostly already in stock and are a bit more authentic.

Here is what I picked up recently:

Brake & Clutch Pedal Assembly Bracket
Brake Booster
Brake light/Park light Pigtails (EACH)
Core/Radiator Support Aluminum
Door Sill Plates 63-64 (Pair)
Emergency Brake Cables
Emergency brake clevis kit
Emergency brake fiberglass insert
Emergency parking brake bezel & boot
Fan Relay
Fender grilles aluminum (Pair)
Fiberglass Fan Shroud
Front windshield Gasket
Fuel cell sending unit
Gas Cap/Door Assembly
Gas Pedal
Gas Tank (aluminum)
GS Front Spoiler
GS Radiator
Headlight Assy
Headlight High Beam Inner Pigtails (Each)
Headlight Low Beam Outer Pigtails (Each)
Hood Pins
Hood Prop Rod
Interior Dome Light
License plate light rear
Lt. and Rt. Headlight Bezels (Pair)
Master Cylinder Bracket
Radiator Coolant Reservoir
Rear End Bracket (Dana 36 or 44)
Rear End Cooler and Cover
Shifter Bezel and Boot
Speedometer Transmission Pigtail
Steering Column Support (Firewall ) 63-66
Steering Shaft (Stainless Steel)
Steering Shaft Billet U-Joint (1 of 3)
Steering Shaft Billet U-Joint (2 of3)
Steering Shaft Billet U-Joint (3 of 3)
Steering Shaft Support Bearing Stainless Steel (3/4' ID)
Transmission Mount
Wiper Motor
Wiper Support

My slot is finally opening up so I can get the body moved over to the C4 Chassis. It's frustrating that it has taken so long, but sh*t happens.

Hopefully she'll be ready this summer some time.

I'll post more as soon as I get more news.

I do need to know where to get some vintage style gauges for the Console area. My dash has the original 1964 gauges with the 200 mph speedometer, so I would like to get whatever they were using at that time. (Hopefully new Vintage Style)

I will need a Fuel Gauge, and a Transmission Temperature gauge, as well as a differential temperature gauge.

I would like to actually have the rear diff cooler set up, so if someone knows where I can pick one up the correct oil pump(s) at a decent price, please feel free to chime in.

Is Stewart Warner the Brand I should be looking for?

2 - 3 Vintage Style Stewart Warner Gauges (I think that is the right brand, but if I am wrong, please correct me)

http://stewartwarnerinstruments.com/...AUGES-675.html

If so which would you recommend?
=============================
Here is what I would like to have on the dash and outside the car.

Switches for the Dash:

Small A/C Control Panel
Interior Master Cut Off Switch
Exterior Master Cut Off Switch
Ignition Switch
Push Button Start
Differential Cooling On/Off
Transmission Cooling On/Off
Brake Bias Control
2 X Electrical Outlets (Cigarette lighters) to run a cool shirt system and a Data recorder.
Extinguisher system

Exterior Post for easy charging of Battery
Push Button Switches for Windows (Window Kit) This IF installed will go behind the shifter.

As much stuff as there is here, I would like to keep the gauges on the smallish side, (I would entertain a Dual Oil Temp Gauge if there was one available that looked period correct. I don't even mind If I have to have it custom made so everything would fit correctly.) and keep all the buttons that would be used on a regular basis grouped together, with the Emergency Buttons (Fire Extinguisher, and Master Cut Off Switch, and Brake Bias **** in an easy to reach location)

Quick Release Steering wheel with a Horn.

What length Shifter lever would you recommend. I have short through Tremec going in.

2 X 4 point harnesses. I have kirkey seat already in the car that I will modify them so it is easier to get in and out of the car. Basically cut off the outside rib supports. If these are a Bitch to drive in I will change them.

I still need to order the stencils for the tires, and get the striping kit and stickers sorted out so a proper wrap can be made. I intend to drive the car a lot so I don't have to worry about dings in the paint.

Anyway I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
The following users liked this post:
Sam Kalmuk (07-27-2022)

Quick Reply: A different Grand Sport Paint Scheme