C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ramjet 350 knock sensor clearance, headers

Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 PM
MaggieDad
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ramjet 350 knock sensor clearance, headers

Hey all,

I have been scouring the web looking for recent answers to this problem and just can't find the answer so thought I would post my question. I've installed a Ramjet 350 crate engine in a 1960 Corvette with Jim Meyer front suspension and the only headers I can find that will fit are block huggers. The downside is the flange of the headers touches the knock sensor which is screwed into the lower side of the block coolant drain hole as instructed by GM.

Has anyone out there had success in relocating the knock sensor? Or, as an alternative, does anyone know of a set of headers that will fit this combo? I'd really prefer to just move the knock sensor but want to make sure I don't create a potential problem. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I have a set of Sanderson QP1000 cast iron headers on my Ram Jet 350. The knock sensor is in the stock location on the passenger side. There is about 0.5" clearance between the headers and the sensor. I covered the sensor and wiring with a sleeve of insulating material I picked up at one of the local NASCAR parts stores. I have about 35,000 miles on my engine with no problems from the knock sensor so far.

Have you looked into moving the sensor to the other side of the block?

Someone on the ChevyTalk forum made a fitting for his knock sensor that gave him better header clearance. If I remember correctly it was a brass block that screwed into the drain hole and placed the knock sensor at right angles to it the stock location.

Edit: here is a link to the offset mounting block.
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...rch/1/#1970546
Charles

Last edited by cbernhardt; 02-22-2011 at 06:55 AM. Reason: added link

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ramjet 350 knock sensor clearance, headers