C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NHRA Ad

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:48 PM
john neas
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NHRA Ad

The NHRA 2011 60th Anniversary Fan Guide contains an ad for the 2011 Hot Rod Reunions. The AA/TF Dragster picture in the ad is of the Bennie "Wizard" Osborn car which was taken at Bowling Green in June 2010 during the Saturday night push start Cacklefest portion of the Hot Rod Reunion. The Hawaiian Funny Car in the background was a static start car. Neat to see one's car in a NHRA ad.

Regards

Old 02-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

John, I have lost track, no pun intended, I think I remember you bought a famous dragster a couple of year back, right. What dragster is your? Dennis
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

way too cool
Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Hope to see you there again this year John. Enjoyed talking with you last year.

Rex
Old 02-24-2011, 10:26 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 02-25-2011, 06:21 AM
62vetteuk
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

i am coming over for the reunion in june. did the march meet in 07/08
Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 AM
john neas
Pro

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
John, I have lost track, no pun intended, I think I remember you bought a famous dragster a couple of year back, right. What dragster is your? Dennis
Dennis
I own the car in the picture, the Bennie "Wizard" Osborn car which won the 1967 & 1968 NHRA Top Fuel World Championships and also won what many think is the most famous match race of all time. A highly publicized $14,000 winner take all in 1968 over Tom "Mongoose" McEwen at Orange County International Raceway. A lot of money at that time. Another car is the Tony Nancy "Sizzler". Last front engine top fuel car to win Bakersfield and last FED to set NHRA top speed record. Subject of a Revell 1 16 th scale model kit and No 1 in the diecast series The Fuelers. Thanks for asking.
Regards
Old 02-25-2011, 10:04 AM
john neas
Pro

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
Hope to see you there again this year John. Enjoyed talking with you last year.

Rex
Rex
Look forward to seeing you in June.
Regards
Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 AM
john neas
Pro

Originally Posted by 62vetteuk
i am coming over for the reunion in june. did the march meet in 07/08
Paul
Please stop by.
Regards
Old 02-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Nick D.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend Tom "The Watchdog" Allen is currently restoring the Tom McEwen car that was involved in that match race in 1968! I just talked to him at the Pomona Winternationals where he is displaying his Top Fuel "Trick" car from 1967 that he recently recreated. He confirmed he has the McEwen car which he and Mike Kuhl are restoring in SoCal. When completed, how cool would it be to recreate that match race? Would you be interested, John?

Here is a video of the "Watchdog" firing up his 1967 Woody Gilmore "Trick Car" at Mike Kuhl's shop. Also, a bunch of old drag racers banter about the 'old' days and share some momentos from the past, enjoy:

Old 02-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for posting the video. Dennis
Old 02-25-2011, 06:05 PM
john neas
Pro

Originally Posted by Nick D.
My friend Tom "The Watchdog" Allen is currently restoring the Tom McEwen car that was involved in that match race in 1968! I just talked to him at the Pomona Winternationals where he is displaying his Top Fuel "Trick" car from 1967 that he recently recreated. He confirmed he has the McEwen car which he and Mike Kuhl are restoring in SoCal. When completed, how cool would it be to recreate that match race? Would you be interested, John?

Here is a video of the "Watchdog" firing up his 1967 Woody Gilmore "Trick Car" at Mike Kuhl's shop. Also, a bunch of old drag racers banter about the 'old' days and share some momentos from the past, enjoy:

Nick D.

A match race recreation would be fun! With that old pipe, how would it be accomplished that NHRA at Bakersfield would buy on??

Below is a picture of Harry "Hand Grenade" Hibbler and Ed Pink (both mentioned in your video) with the Tony Nancy car in October. They restored the car and motor for Tony.

Also 2 videos at the bottom

Regards
Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Way too cool! Dennis
Old 02-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Nick D.
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=john neas;
A match race recreation would be fun! With that old pipe, how would it be accomplished that NHRA at Bakersfield would buy on??
Regards [/QUOTE]

John,
It would need to be done "Cacklefest" style for sure. I bet the promoters would have fun with it regardless. I know that Tom (Allen) has talked to Tom (McEwen) about the car. I hear that Bennie still lives in Sand Springs, OK, is that near you? Do you have contact with him? Maybe when the car is completed, they could be talked into getting together with their former cars? That would be a hoot!
Nick

Do you ever get out to the Bakersfield Hot Rod Reunion?
Old 02-26-2011, 06:10 PM
john neas
Pro

John,It would need to be done "Cacklefest" style for sure. I bet the promoters would have fun with it regardless. I know that Tom (Allen) has talked to Tom (McEwen) about the car. I hear that Bennie still lives in Sand Springs, OK, is* that near you? Do you have contact with him? Maybe when the car is completed, they could be talked into getting together with their former cars? That would be a hoot!NickDo you ever get out to the Bakersfield Hot Rod Reunion?
Nick*** Pass the word at the Winternationals that Bennie and the Oklahoma crew is ready to go. When will the car be finished? Will Tom McEwen be in the car? We were at the 2010 NHRA CHRR with the Tony Nancy "Sizzler". That is where the picture of Hibbler and Pink was taken.Regards
Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Nick D.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by john neas
Nick*** Pass the word at the Winternationals that Bennie and the Oklahoma crew is ready to go. When will the car be finished? Will Tom McEwen be in the car? We were at the 2010 NHRA CHRR with the Tony Nancy "Sizzler". That is where the picture of Hibbler and Pink was taken.Regards
The car will be finished and will be at the 2011 CHRR in Oct. McEwen will be invited but it looks like if he is there, it will be with the Yeakel Plymouth car owned by Lou Baney's son Frank which was the car he drove previous to the Triand (sp) Activity Booster car.

Tom Allen said that he was at the 2010 CHRR and spoke with both Ed Pink and Harry Hibbler. Harry was the track manager at San Fernando Dragway where Tom used to run frequently.

Tom has a friend, Fred Hayhurst, who has an old photo of the OCIR match race that shows both cars and both (?) drivers getting suited up. Do you have this photo? I asked him to get it scanned and to also take some pics of the car under construction. The front end of the car was run over in the pits long ago, but from the firewall back was pretty much intact but beat up. It sat for 20+ years before being "found" by Mike Kuhl. They have the original body, fuel tank, seat with uph, and wheels and tires. It was a Woody Gilmore car and Steve Davis is rebuilding the chassis.

It looks like Tom and 2 other Cal cars will be making their way east to the Bowling Green event this June. Will you be there?

Nick
Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 AM
john neas
Pro

The car will be finished and will be at the 2011 CHRR in Oct. McEwen will be invited but it looks like if he is there, it will be with the Yeakel Plymouth car owned by Lou Baney's son Frank which was the car he drove previous to the Triand (sp) Activity Booster car.

Tom Allen said that he was at the 2010 CHRR and spoke with both Ed Pink and Harry Hibbler. Harry was the track manager at San Fernando Dragway where Tom used to run frequently.

Tom has a friend, Fred Hayhurst, who has an old photo of the OCIR match race that shows both cars and both (?) drivers getting suited up. Do you have this photo? I asked him to get it scanned and to also take some pics of the car under construction. The front end of the car was run over in the pits long ago, but from the firewall back was pretty much intact but beat up. It sat for 20+ years before being "found" by Mike Kuhl. They have the original body, fuel tank, seat with uph, and wheels and tires. It was a Woody Gilmore car and Steve Davis is rebuilding the chassis.

It looks like Tom and 2 other Cal cars will be making their way east to the Bowling Green event this June. Will you be there?

Nick
Nick
Would appreciate the OCIR and restoration picturess. Will be at Bowling Green in June and Bakersfield in October. Let us know when Tom McEwen will be in the drivers seat. We look forward to a Cacklefest
Rematch.
Regards
(e)johnneas@tulsacoxmail.com
Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
arw57
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It gets a little warmer here in Whiteland Bob and Etta Glidden are taking our 57 vette cruzin to dinner one night. Now thats a sight to see the Ford gang in a Corvette. Billy loves driving the old girl better than his new Mustang.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
john neas
Pro

Originally Posted by arw57
It gets a little warmer here in Whiteland Bob and Etta Glidden are taking our 57 vette cruzin to dinner one night. Now thats a sight to see the Ford gang in a Corvette. Billy loves driving the old girl better than his new Mustang.
Alan
Even though he did not qualify last labor day at Indy. (qualified but got bumped) It was good to see Bob in a car again. Post a picture of the couple in your car and send one to me. I want to show it to my Ford friends!!!
Regards

Get notified of new replies

To NHRA Ad

Quick Reply: NHRA Ad