C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Greenwood Suspension resurrected

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Our rendition of Greenwood's 5 bar suspension

Well after a year or so ...... We have completed the welding & assembly of the bearing housing bracket (No longer a trailing arm).They turned out better than expected. Now maybe I can get moving on this SWC project. My Welder called them " Suspension Jewelry" ! Yes...... that is 304 -L Stainless steel.... Assembly should start shortly .....as it is My day off and its raining

Last edited by Stingxray; 02-25-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: yep
Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes yes yes! Are you planning on mass producing these? I'd sure like to get a set!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:09 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Looking good
Old 02-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Originally Posted by groovyjay
Yes yes yes! Are you planning on mass producing these? I'd sure like to get a set!
Groovy jay: I couldn't mass produce this set up..... would certinly be bankrupt after 10 sets. Cost of Stainless Steel , Splined -Telascoping half shafts, water Jet or lazer cut patterns, then tig welded up. I have just enough pattern's cut for 2 sets......
Old 02-26-2011, 03:07 AM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice work! What's the benefit to this setup vs a standard rear trailing arm suspension?

Best,
Dave
Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Stingxray
Groovy jay: I couldn't mass produce this set up..... would certinly be bankrupt after 10 sets. Cost of Stainless Steel , Splined -Telascoping half shafts, water Jet or lazer cut patterns, then tig welded up. I have just enough pattern's cut for 2 sets......
If you need to get rid off the second set I'd be more than willing to buy it from you!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by MosportGreen66
Nice work! What's the benefit to this setup vs a standard rear trailing arm suspension?
If done correctly, it gets rid of the rear bump steer inherent in the trailing arm design.

It is, essentially, the same architecture as the C4 rear suspension.

Very nice fabrication!

Jim
Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guldstrand sells a very similar kit still, $2700

Harry

Last edited by 66since71; 02-26-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: $2700
Old 02-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
If done correctly, it gets rid of the rear bump steer inherent in the trailing arm design.

It is, essentially, the same architecture as the C4 rear suspension.

Very nice fabrication!

Jim
Thanks to straight man Jim Lockwood:

This design goes a step further and eliminates the Half-shaft's as a active suspension member. Hence the need for telescoping splined shafts. The C clips no longer anchor the wheel's camber angle . It has unlimited adjustablity. Better than the C-4 ...........IMO

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Very nice fabrication work!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Default You "can" have it all........

Photo during development stages. Note that this design can be used with the Mono leaf spring or Coil overs If desired

Last edited by Stingxray; 07-08-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:35 PM
rengawdor
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beautiful fabrication work!
Rod
Old 02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Default Mr. Guldstrand's

Originally Posted by 66since71
Guldstrand sells a very similar kit still, $2700

Harry

Harry: I considered the Guldstrand System....... Even talked to Mr. Corvette," Dick Guldstrand himself ....He answers the phone at the shop when he's around. Great Man! ( I digress ............his set up requires considerable modification to the frame for the links to clear. So it's $2700 + labor

Old 02-26-2011, 02:24 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Harry: I considered the Guldstrand System....... Even talked to Mr. Corvette," Dick Guldstrand himself ....He answers the phone at the shop when he's around. Great Man! ( I digress ............his set up requires considerable modification to the frame for the links to clear. So it's $2700 + labor

Hey, that's my frame and those are my pics! It really wasn't a bolt-on job...

I might add that your design is much superior to the guldstrand kit.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:28 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

............his set up requires considerable modification to the frame for the links to clear.
I don`t know what you consider "considerable" but butchering the frame in those pics above wasn`t necessary. I had an old SCCA GT-1 race car here with an original RPF 5-link ("RPF as in Bob Riley, Protofab and George Foltz the original designers and builders of what is now known as the Guldstrand 5-link) and it required no where near that amount of "butchery"...I sold the RPF 5-link and then sold the car to a guy who vintage races it with trailing arms...
Old 02-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Default It's All Good

Thanks for the Comp GroovyJay. I borrowed your photos from another forum to illustrate. The credit for my design should go to a fellow Italian brother, who did the CAD and development.

Redvetracr:

It's really an 8 link ................ 6 link is a name someone came up with as a stock system (Dragvette) w/ 2 additional links ad 2 trailing arms. 5 bar is a name for a Guldstrand/Riley and also a little the Greenwood & C4 suspension corner, 2 trailing links, a camber link a halfshaft and a toe link. The C4 & Greenwood ones use a rear toe link, the Riley/Guldstrand one uses 2 lower camber rods where the relative adjustment of these 2 set the toe.

Last edited by Stingxray; 02-26-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:31 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Redvetracr:

It's really an 8 link ................ 6 link is a name someone came up with as a stock system (Dragvette) w/ 2 additional links ad 2 trailing arms. 5 bar is a name for a Guldstrand/Riley and also a little the Greenwood & C4 suspension corner, 2 trailing links, a camber link a halfshaft and a toe link. The C4 & Greenwood ones use a rear toe link, the Riley/Guldstrand one uses 2 lower camber rods where the relative adjustment of these 2 set the toe.
my post makes no mention of the 6-link, I know exactly what it is (and more importantly) what it is not. what you may not know is that Bob Riley is the man who designed the C-4 rear suspension for GM and that the RPF/Guldstrand rear suspension is what it is because it was designed to be SCCA legal, more links would not have been legal. I also had a Greenwood 5-link, (brand new in the box) the major differences I saw was in the camber adjustment, one upper and one lower link opposed to the RPF that has two lower links. there weren`t many made but I think the ultimate rear suspension was the Greenwood double A-frame suspension he ran in IMSA, probably also designed by Bob Riley.

Get notified of new replies

To Greenwood Suspension resurrected

Old 02-26-2011, 06:34 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a lot of cutting on the frame.. I only mentioned his kit in response to the question someone asked about where to buy one. The workmanship on yours looks terrific.

Dick is a gem for the hobby. When I was actively autocrossing (70s and 80s), I used to trade notes with him. He answered every letter personally. Mostly just short notes, but every one was answered. I wound up buying a lot of chassis parts from him for 4 different cars.

Harry
Old 02-26-2011, 07:00 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

This design goes a step further and eliminates the Half-shaft's as a active suspension member. Hence the need for telescoping splined shafts. The C clips no longer anchor the wheel's camber angle . It has unlimited adjustablity. Better than the C-4 ...........IMO

[IMG][/IMG]
We did the Viper rear suspension a little differently (and a little simpler) - aluminum upper and lower A-arms with telescoping splined half-shafts, rear toe link and sway bar; NHRA does NOT like half-shafts as suspension members - if you lose one, you crash.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Yep Johnny......your Viper and the C5 , C6 went to the double A arm rear's now. SRIII is offering that setup on the C2 & C3 frames too. But I'm going to keep the SWC stock frame. Fortunately the only Mod is welding 4 mount Tabs on the frame below the trailing arm pocket. It's been allot of work and finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Quick Reply: Greenwood Suspension resurrected