C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1958 project car

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 AM
STHUD55
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
hoping for those new photos.
I have the updated pics up. Thanks for your interest.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:11 AM
STHUD55
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UberLegend
Thanks for the update Scott.

New memeber of the '58 clan.

Now 'bout those pics....gotta show us what it looked like after 40 years of dirt was washed off.
I have some new pics posted on this thread of my 58 project.
As you can see I will be busy for a few years. lol
Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 AM
STHUD55
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 62corvette
I've owned about 50 C-1s over the past 37 years--not bragging, just setting a context for what I want to mention:
1) I see $20k+ in parts when you include the extra parts you mention. I'm not advocating you part the car out, but what value is there?--parts-wise, you can't get hurt.

2) Even if you are building it for the love of it, it's still wise to keep an eye on your finances. You can be buried in the car, but you don't have to be. Know right away, before you start, what you want to do with the car. A frame-off super nice show and shine car? An NCRS car? A car that to the average individual looks correct, but has newer components (i.e. a 350 dressed in 283 trim, etc.). If an NCRS car, a refurbed voltage regulator, for instance, is $200. A new one from a parts house is $20, plus a Delco cover from the junkyard with new paint that replaces the other cover and makes it look correct except for date code and part number, and you're in it for $25. The difference between 2x4 clones vs. 2x4 originals is ca. $1500, etc.

3) That car might look like heck with the wrong seat covers, but it costs the same to replace wrong seat covers as it does to replace correct ones with one small tear in them. A dash pad costs the same to replace if it's missing or if it has several small cracks. You buy the car, you get to make those choices, and whichever choices you make, someone will tell you that you did it wrong. Do it the way you like it to get the end result that you are looking for.

4) If someone offered me that car for $15k, I'd sprain my wrist getting the money out. At $18k, I think about it overnight and buy it the next day. Above that, depending on exactly what is/isn't there, I'd have to think it through.

Good luck--a good car to start with!

Regards,
Mike
Thanks for the input. Hearing all the advice and feedback really helps.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 AM
STHUD55
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tgtexas02
Having experience buying a 58 basket case years ago, I can see parts on the car being worth 20K if you sold individually--try to buy original trunk spears. A good bath and I think the car would look terrific. Doesn't sound like your going for a show car so motor and trans wouldn't matter. You probably have these things laying around since you have been dealing with cars for 25 years. Guys buy nice candidates and then go and replace the whole interior anyway? If she would sell it for 15-18 I think you would be getting a great deal. Some parts are really expensive so will it fit your budget. I love saving mine from the grave. Save her!
Yes saving this car from the grave was and is my desire. You see so many great old cars just rotting away and the owners will not part with them. I want to put this car back on the road and save one of America's greatest sports cars. Looks like we share the same ideas.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 AM
STHUD55
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Procrastination Racing;1579987533] Time to razz you again.

Since 11 months have gone by, you can't bring this back into play without most wanting to see how you are doing. Don't feel bad about it seeming slow or not making progress, this is a hobby of watching grass grow.

Here's how to do the pictures, in case you didn't see how Ed put yours up.

Since you have a Photobucket account, you can copy the IMG link and paste it in your message.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1579867198-post88.html[/QUOTE
Thank you for the info on posting pics. I think I figured it out with your help and have posted pics.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:06 PM
58nz
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STHUD55
Hello,
I am looking for some help on putting a value on a 1958 Corvette project car. This car has neen sitting since the early 70's. No engine or tranny with car. Car is about 90% complete and body in good condition. The car has been under a car port,but very dirty and rats have been nesting in it for years. This will be a big project if I get it, but am looking forward to the challenge. This is a barn find waiting to be restored. If anyone can give me some input on it's value I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Gidday, I'm in NewZealand will be traveling to the states in search of a 58 similar condition to yours. I have been looking around on the net (but prices vary so much) were you able to get a rough valuation on your project? And ultimately seen any others in your tracking down of parts. Any help would be appreciated you can email me direct at davidspooner49@gmail.com if you wish. Thankyou for any information that you could provide

Quick Reply: 1958 project car