C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rat Rods - Anyone have a Rat Rod Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by earl schieb
meh.....I'd call that one a hot rod(cause that's what it is, albeit a grubby example), and I doubt it would ever have been called a rat rod before ten years ago. The "rat" thing was never a mainstream term except in the case of motorcycles, and I only remember that term being used not before the early 70s
Oh yeah, I know what you mean.....not tryin' to start a urinating contest Maybe I'm trying to(in vain) stop people from calling everything that's not pristeen a 'rat' whatever. I had a guy come in my shop and call my period-correct mid 60's custom car a ratrod
I agree, the "rat" term was more with rat bikes than cars or rods years ago. I remember about 10-12 years ago, that some old hot rodders I know were talking about how rat rods, basically unfinished hot rods in primer or rust, were really gathering steam at Moultrie and other rod runs. These were a throwback to the hot rods from decades ago that were mechanically sound and ready to run, but had no cosmetics. After all, anyone could swap a flathead or a small block, but few had paint facilities in their backyard single car garage 30 to 50 years ago.

I can't remember when I saw the first of the "shock" rods, maybe about 6 or 7 years ago. Half of them were death traps in a wreck at anything over 5 mph. Most probably required you to get a tetanus shot due to injuries in a normal ride, from all the sharp edges, pointed objects, and so on.

And I agree, "rat rod" is too freely thrown out for everything. I think it is because 1.) too many want to jump on the bandwagon and be cool with the terminology when they have no clue to the hobby and 2.) many simply don't know what to call this direction some have taken.

For example, this is a rat rod.

This is not. But many would try to equate them. They are both hot rods, but they are both not rat rods.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
Yep, got one. Here it is. This is the way I drive it.

First drive in almost 20 years

Sitting in the parking lot at work, view is from my office window

That is pretty cool, Ed. Back in the early '70s, there was a guy at Emerson Electric who drove a gray primered '57 on a semi-regular basis. I don't remember it it had a top.

I'm working on a project now, and the urge to just drive it is great. It has that street warrior look, battle-scarred sort of. Front clip is different color, the interior isn't in, some bodywork still needs to be done, but chassis wise, it is all new or fresh.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:14 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Well, I hate to say it, but this one is the MOST RELIABLE car I have. Once the 383 is up and running, it will also be fun to drive.
No need to worry about door dings, scratches, getting keyed, salt on the roads or a computer glitch!
It is 100% basic Chevy, I can fix ANYTHING and it will never need to go to the dealership to be connected for a computer diagnosis. No converter, no emissions equipment, no check engine light (it has all the necessary GAUGES-----------no idiot lights) and the speedometer is on the money. Turn signals work, lights work, horns work, wipers work, good brakes, both heaters work and the air cond blows cold R12.
And who the hell is going to steal it?
What more could you ask for?

Tom Parsons
Old 03-03-2011, 01:27 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Mine ain't quite reliable yet, but it sure is fun to drive. I have done the "show quality restorations", etc. to the point where I was worried about driving the car. I am having more fun with this 56 than I have had with any other Corvette in years.
And remember, Ed is a genu-wine "rocket scientist"; they gotta have fun too!

Tom, before someone from the C5/C6 forum sees it and jumps in, I'll add, "ZAINO will fix it right up" That forward fuel pump bolt looks like fun . That's definitely the "sleeper of the week".
Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

I may be a bit younger (45) than most of you who experienced "back in the day" in person but I thought rat rod were low-budget, purpose-built for speed, not looks, open vehicles with a rat (ie. BBC) engine.

I have noticed somewhat of a resurgence of a wide variety of loosely-termed rat-rods at car shows and they seem to pull a lot of attention. Hey, even a counter culture needs a counter-counter culture.

So long as it both moves and stops safely, it's all fun. Life's too short for boring!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Well, I hate to say it, but this one is the MOST RELIABLE car I have. Once the 383 is up and running, it will also be fun to drive.
No need to worry about door dings, scratches, getting keyed, salt on the roads or a computer glitch!
It is 100% basic Chevy, I can fix ANYTHING and it will never need to go to the dealership to be connected for a computer diagnosis. No converter, no emissions equipment, no check engine light (it has all the necessary GAUGES-----------no idiot lights) and the speedometer is on the money. Turn signals work, lights work, horns work, wipers work, good brakes, both heaters work and the air cond blows cold R12.

Tom Parsons
Steal it? I don't even want to get near it without my shots being current.

Seriously, it is way too cool, and exactly the right idea for rat rod.

Last edited by emccomas; 03-03-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:25 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Direct from the Internet.....

Rat Rod definition: A Rat Rod is a newly developed name for the original hot rod style of the early 1950's. A Rat Rod is usually a vehicle that has had many of it't non-critical parts removed. They are usually finished in primer or paints that are often period correct. They are very often a conglomeration of parts and pieces of different makes, models and after market parts. The term "rat rod" was first used by the high dollar, show cars guys to describe the low-buck, home built drivers.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:36 PM
1lildog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine needs paint pretty bad, just not as bad as many here. It has a rat motor, at least that's what I called them when I was a kid. Small blocks I called a mouse. Never raced bikes, boats or airplanes so I don't know the lingo.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:41 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

People call my friends car a rat rod though really an old hot rod:

Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 PM
TexVette66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My 66 is an orgional car,abet,new tires,belts ,hoses,top,carpet and freshened engine,the paint,scratched and faded,interior ,glass all in good shape,some friends ask when I am going to paint it and call it rat vette.My feeling is I drive it everywere,Canada,Calif. ,twice,and all over Texas,the paint would just get chipped! So for now it stays on the road.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 PM
TexVette66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Even Jackfit said to paint it!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:58 PM
365GTB4
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't we just call them "ratty rods"?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

This is a friend of mine. John, who owns Corvette Conspiracy. He loves this car. It gets more looks then the fully restored 57's

He just put a custom fuel injection in it.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom Parsons
Tom that rust should just buff out !
Old 03-03-2011, 06:42 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1lildog
My 67 Rat Rod
===============================
That's Beautiful!

What color is that " Coyote Ugly", Rat? ;-)
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does this qualify for the rust part----------even though it's not a Corvette (but it does have a Corvette steering wheel!!! )?

Tom Parsons
===========================
What color Red is on your car?

It really POP's!

Thanks,

Ty

Get notified of new replies

To Rat Rods - Anyone have a Rat Rod Corvette?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

i drove mine around pretty much like this for 3 years from late '74 until 1977 when i got it painted.

I did add a headlight set shortly after the first two pics were taken.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 03-03-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:47 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...fCarsQ5fTrucks
Old 03-04-2011, 01:04 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Yep, got one. Here it is. This is the way I drive it.

The driver's door doesn't have a window or any of the window parts. Also doesn't have the inside door handle, so I just reach out and open the door using the outside handle.

Car has a soft top, but the top material is so old and hard that the top won't stretch to fit, so I don't bother with it.

The seat bottom springs are so worn and rusted out that I have to use kitchen chair cushions in each seat. The cushion is pictured, but I do have seats and seat belts installed now. The cushion sits on top of the seat bottom.

None of the original instruments in the dash work (and they have never been removed from the dash, as best I can tell), so I hung a 3 gauge underdash instrument cluster that I got at the local parts store.

Car was sandblasted decades ago, except for the deck lid and dash area, which still has some sort of paint on them.

One of these days I am going to spray some black primer on the car to make it all one color and protect the fiberglass, but for now, this is the way I drive it.

Of course, like all of us, I am worried that someone will scratch it...

In the garage, prior to engine install

First drive in almost 20 years

Sitting in the parking lot at work, view is from my office window

Interior with kitchen chair seat cushion
DANG! That is cool. I thought it was bad when I drove my '64 for like 12 years with the front half in gray primer (1971-1983). I'd go to the home center and strap 2X4 studs and other long loads on the inside edge of the front and rear finder peaks. But your car is a whole 'nother dimension.

Do you park your rat in the driveway or at the curb? The neighbor housewives must have tizzy fits if they're expecting company!

Quick Reply: Rat Rods - Anyone have a Rat Rod Corvette?