C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rat Rods - Anyone have a Rat Rod Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

My buddy Dans '65 [serious bb, 5spd, all vette brake susp] in primer. I love it, he hates it. I don't care about paint anymore, if my 8 year old Nassau blue wasn't so nice my car would look like that too .........

Last edited by 00fxd; 03-04-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:26 AM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Well, I hate to say it, but this one is the MOST RELIABLE car I have. Once the 383 is up and running, it will also be fun to drive.
No need to worry about door dings, scratches, getting keyed, salt on the roads or a computer glitch!
It is 100% basic Chevy, I can fix ANYTHING and it will never need to go to the dealership to be connected for a computer diagnosis. No converter, no emissions equipment, no check engine light (it has all the necessary GAUGES-----------no idiot lights) and the speedometer is on the money. Turn signals work, lights work, horns work, wipers work, good brakes, both heaters work and the air cond blows cold R12.
And who the hell is going to steal it?
What more could you ask for?

Tom Parsons
Thats a wolfe in sheeps clothing ... Would be fun
Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,768 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AZDoug
i drove mine around pretty much like this for 3 years from late '74 until 1977 when i got it painted.

I did add a headlight set shortly after the first two pics were taken.

Doug

WOW! What a great transformation! Do ya suppose someone could transform my 51 Chevy to look that great? NOT!

Tom Parsons
Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 AM
rengawdor
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
This is a friend of mine. John, who owns Corvette Conspiracy. He loves this car. It gets more looks then the fully restored 57's

He just put a custom fuel injection in it.
I think I saw this one at Carlisle (or one just like it). The guy said he drove it in from near Cleveland. It was a Chip's Choice selection.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:37 PM
67L88
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Must run in the family for me.

Dad's '57 in the early 70's

Mine in the early 90's

Old 03-04-2011, 09:22 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

Speaking of Rat Rods... We all know 90% of Hot Rods have "VETTE" motors but this is the strangest Model A front axle I've seen yet. It's using the front suspension of a 62 Vette!
1931-ford-model-coupe-project-hot-rod
Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
Speaking of Rat Rods... We all know 90% of Hot Rods have "VETTE" motors but this is the strangest Model A front axle I've seen yet. It's using the front suspension of a 62 Vette!
1931-ford-model-coupe-project-hot-rod
talk about an upgrade! C1 suspension!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Old Blazer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Tom Parsons magician

And this was the new 383 going in yesterday.

Tom, I wanna see how you're make this look like a stove-bolt six!!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Old Blazer
Tom, I wanna see how you're make this look like a stove-bolt six!!
It's done by keeping the hood closed! Who would ever suspect this rusty ole POS!

Tom Parsons
Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas

One of these days I am going to spray some black primer on the car to make it all one color and protect the fiberglass, but for now, this is the way I drive it.

You know, bare fiberglass is very porous. You spill brake fluid or some oil-based solution on it, and getting paint to stick will be a nightmare. You should spray something on it just to prevent that kind of accident.

I had a bird fly in the garage a few days ago, knock over a bottle of Mother's Aluminum Wheel cleaner, which flew to the floor, broke open, and covered the side of the Camaro. Freakish accidents do happen.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

It's done by keeping the hood closed! Who would ever suspect this rusty ole POS!

Tom Parsons
I was getting coffee this morning and the new Hot Rod mag is out. There's a car on the front cover that I swore to God it was yours Tom. Same body/paint man seemed to do it
Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by rengawdor
I think I saw this one at Carlisle (or one just like it). The guy said he drove it in from near Cleveland. It was a Chip's Choice selection.
Yup, that was the car. He is planning on taking it this year for the Barn find theme.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

You forgot one thing:

I bet people GET OUT OF YOUR WAY, when they see you in the rear view mirror, or coming down the road....

Doug

Well, I hate to say it, but this one is the MOST RELIABLE car I have. Once the 383 is up and running, it will also be fun to drive.
No need to worry about door dings, scratches, getting keyed, salt on the roads or a computer glitch!
It is 100% basic Chevy, I can fix ANYTHING and it will never need to go to the dealership to be connected for a computer diagnosis. No converter, no emissions equipment, no check engine light (it has all the necessary GAUGES-----------no idiot lights) and the speedometer is on the money. Turn signals work, lights work, horns work, wipers work, good brakes, both heaters work and the air cond blows cold R12.

Tom Parsons
Old 03-07-2011, 11:37 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by AZDoug
You forgot one thing:

I bet people GET OUT OF YOUR WAY, when they see you in the rear view mirror, or coming down the road....

Doug
That is absolutely correct!!!! That is one of the best things I like about driving it. NOBODY F#&*$ with me!!!!

And here it is installed. Fired it up yesterday, ran it about 20min at 2500rpm to break in the cam. Got a couple of leaks to fix, otherwise it's great!

Actually, it is part Corvette.
The front cross member/suspension is the same as a Vette.
Rearend/posi is the same as a Vette.
15x8 Corvette Vette Ralleys on the rear.
Corvette steering wheel.
Steering column/box and turn signal housing is the same as Vette.
Intake manifold is Vette (LT1 style).
Tach drive distributor is Vette.
Stepped water pump pulley is Vette.
Valve covers are Vette.
Muncie is same as Vette.
Driver owns a Vette.
That's close enough, right?

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 03-08-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

.....and it suits your personality
Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
You know, bare fiberglass is very porous. You spill brake fluid or some oil-based solution on it, and getting paint to stick will be a nightmare. You should spray something on it just to prevent that kind of accident.

I had a bird fly in the garage a few days ago, knock over a bottle of Mother's Aluminum Wheel cleaner, which flew to the floor, broke open, and covered the side of the Camaro. Freakish accidents do happen.
You are absolutely correct. Parts of the front upper surround have already had brake fluid spilled on it, and it soaked into the glass.

Should make for an interesting paint job...

Actually, I knew when I bought the car that the upper surround, and the rear quarters would need to be replaced.

That is low on the priority scale. My plan is to wash it as best I can, degrease it as best I can, then spray something like DP90 on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Rat Rods - Anyone have a Rat Rod Corvette?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Well, it's in and running-------------but has a couple of leaks that have to be fixed. One is up front, I think it's a pan gasket. If not, then it's the front seal. Either can be fixed. The other leak (coolant) is behind the engine and I think it is a heater hose.
I ran it Sun for 20min at 2500rpm to break in the cam and everything was great. Then I drove it for a couple of blocks and all that needs attention is a clutch adjustment. I'm going on vacation next week so it will just have to sit for a while.

Tom Parsons
Old 03-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Workin On 59
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom, So with all the Corvette parts your daily driver is sort of a one of a kind 51 four door Corvette.

I'll bet your car is a blast to drive and with all the money you save by not needing trouble shooting scans, emission control issues, and paint maintenance you can spend a little more on gas and still come out ahead of the average driver.

Your posts are always appreciated. Doug
Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Revoh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a couple at the Greaserama show last fall. Can't say I'm crazy about them, but here they are all the same.

Quick Reply: Rat Rods - Anyone have a Rat Rod Corvette?