C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

rewiring my 61

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:54 PM
zangx1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default rewiring my 61

i am going the rewire my 61 both the main harness and the engine bay
forward. the car also has power windows. Any feedback appreciated
whats the best complete harness?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Many here use the Lectric Limited harnesses with success. Get the main harness with the new fuse box already attached !

This is also the time to add those extra fuses (and fusible links) that C1's lack ... like a 2 AMP fuse at the clock and a 30 AMP fuse in the line to the ammeter from the battery. Lots of info on the forum about this if you search.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Lectric Limited, IMHO, is the best. You can buy a complete kit, direct from them, or, see if any of the aftermarket suppliers, are having a sale on kits. Most of those guys are selling Lectric Limited harnesses.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:14 PM
ktchir
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldsarge
Lectric Limited, IMHO, is the best. You can buy a complete kit, direct from them, or, see if any of the aftermarket suppliers, are having a sale on kits. Most of those guys are selling Lectric Limited harnesses.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
vettedad61
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-11-2011, 07:55 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Do it all now

Once you get into it and see what you are connecting with, you'll wish you had gone ahead and done the whole thing. Plus you get a better price with the packages. Believe most places offer the basic five harnesses as well as the total package. Good time to clean up all the grounds as well.
For sure add the fusible link before the ammeter, it can save your car....

Nothing quite like the smell of burning insulation to get your attention.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:26 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

1. Add a fusible link to the main harness.

2. Add a 1 amp fuse for the clock, and a 30 amp for the cigarette lighter.

3. Add a "green ****."

4. Add grounds. I ran one from under the starter mount bolt where the negative battery cable goes to the frame nearby. Hardly noticeable. I ran another from the gas gauge sender to the frame. This one is hidden.

5. Carry a Halon fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment. The biggest one you feel fits. Probably 1.5 lbs.

6. Keep the car adequately insured.

7. If you do all this, you'll never need to concern yourself with electrical fires again.

All these items are well discussed in the archives.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Dads61
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
Once you get into it and see what you are connecting with, you'll wish you had gone ahead and done the whole thing. Plus you get a better price with the packages. Believe most places offer the basic five harnesses as well as the total package. Good time to clean up all the grounds as well.
For sure add the fusible link before the ammeter, it can save your car....

Nothing quite like the smell of burning insulation to get your attention.
Or flames coming from behind the ignition switch!!! Lets just say the cowl vent was open, it was a cool morning, and it needed to be closed..unfortunately, someone had ran that wire right through the mechanism...Talk about too much excitement early in the morning!! All's well, repaired it that night(after pushing it back down the street), just some light scarring on the fingers from pulling the burning wires off the back of the ignition switch,,,while coasting to a stop and blowing out the flames...Never want to see that again.....
Old 03-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yeah the zany original wiper transmission/pulley/cable setup can saw through a 'hot' wire under the dash while you are tooling along down the road running your wipers before you know it.

Route any wire bundles VERY carefully around those contraptions...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Anyone that has taken on a project of rebulding a C2 that has been disassemble and is willing to look at what I have and give me there opinion would be greatly appreciated. Please contact me at dizdale@yahoo.com. and i will send you pictures. I'm looking to bring it back to a driver with a touch of restomodding the suspension,electrical and power train.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

This is an old C1 rewiring thread - you probably want to start a new one of your own.
C2 guys might not even read this.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Done two C1s

I've done two different C1s, a '56 that had no wiring and a '62 what had old harnesses that needed replacing. I purchased the complete harness package from one of the Corvette vendors but it was still Lectric Limited product. With only a wiring diagram (buy the big one from LL) and some basic automotive knewledge it was a preety easy process.

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To rewiring my 61

Quick Reply: rewiring my 61