C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 roof leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default C1 roof leaks

I have read in book and on the forum that C1 roof and windows leaked on 53 to 55 cars. Was this a issue on 56 to 62 cars as well? I talking when these cars were new and the tops new. Those who dare have their C1s out in the rain do you get a bath?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:10 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Been caught in the rain once with the hardtop on in my 61. I might as well have had the roof off It is restored too. Most of the leaks were in the area where the roof meets the windshield. They are not water tight by any means.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yes and yes. I feel my '61 is drier than most in a storm but it still leaks particularly above the rear view mirror in a bad storm. They did leak when they were new. It helps if you keep the cowl vent closed in the rain, if you have carefully sealed the windshield (especially where it meets the body and put dum-dum where the external stainless holes enter the cockpit. Like the two rearmost holes on the top fender windsplits...there are other places too. I use RainX and carry some blue painter's quick release tape and just run a wide strip across the conv top and windshield header when encountering a storm and that takes care of the worst of the leaks on my car.

My wipers/washers are original and totally restored now and they are minimal help at best along with the pretty lame defroster.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Yes and yes. I feel my '61 is drier than most in a storm but it still leaks particularly above the rear view mirror in a bad storm. They did leak when they were new. It helps if you keep the cowl vent closed in the rain, if you have carefully sealed the windshield (especially where it meets the body and put dum-dum where the external stainless holes enter the cockpit. Like the two rearmost holes on the top fender windsplits...there are other places too. I use RainX and carry some blue painter's quick release tape and just run a wide strip across the conv top and windshield header when encountering a storm and that takes care of the worst of the leaks on my car.

My wipers/washers are original and totally restored now and they are minimal help at best along with the pretty lame defroster.
Dang! I have been figuring someday I'd get back into a C-1. It's been so many years I had forgotten but this brings it back! Back in '67 I got new carpets installed in my '59. Next heavy rain there was water a half inch deep on the passenger side, when I sponged it out some of the dye was in the water and I wrung out red. If the experts here still have water problems....

But no, that will NOT keep me away if I find the right car.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:36 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,519 Likes on 3,001 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

53 - 55: A few years ago when driving my '54 from Georgia to California, we got caught in a huge downpour upon reaching Salt Lake City. The aerodynamics of the car/top/sidecurtain were such that a jet of water came in the passenger side, and shot across the interior, soaking the right sleeve of the driver.

58 - 60: Coming home to California in my '60 from an NCRS regional in Steam Boat Springs CO, we got caught in a blowing thunderstorm as we crossed the salt flats (Hmmmmm.... Utah again). Hardtop was on, windows up. No matter. So much water came in over the top of the door glass that my lap looked like I'd had an "accident".

Yes, the cars leak.

Jim

Last edited by jim lockwood; 03-19-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I recommend avoiding rain if at all possible, hahaha, and, carry a few super absorbent micro towels!..

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 03-19-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:25 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

The best solution is to roll some paper towels (long ways) really tight and work them (from the inside) between the frame of the top and the weatherstrip. Usually we use a flat balde screwdriver to push them in along the length of the windshield. Might sound a little odd, but what happens is that the paper will swell enough to stop the leaks. My wife has the routine down pat and even in a driving rain the leaks stop. We leave the papertowels in position after the rain. They dry out but most stay there so the next time doesn't need as many. The even stay when you put the top down.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Bill
Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,309 Posts

It's been years since I had my hardtop on, but I don't remember it being to bad in the rain. With the old, rock hard weatherstrip on it, I'd get a little water in over the windshield, and a little around the door glass.

The soft top is a whole other story! The soft top leaks everywhere, over the windshield, around the door glass and at the rear bow! The rear bow is the worse by far. There's nothing like running down the road in the rain, hitting the brakes, and having a flood of cold rain water rush under the rear bow, over the deck lid, down the seat, onto your back!

An umbrella might provide as much protection from the rain, as the soft top does.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Now I have to ask. Were the C2 rag tops any better?
Old 03-19-2011, 01:46 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Because we drive our 55 Corvette everywhere and I've had it for many years . I've gotten the soft top and side windows to fit so nice I don't get rain inside . Only when I open the door if the 55 is pointing up hill the drain rail on the door post will poor water . By the way GM had a fix for that by drilling a hole in the body at the weatherstripping and adding a copper tube down behind the kick panel and out . I remember years ago people thinking it came that way from the factory.
Also our 57 soft top had a good original front weatherstripping to windshield, that NO one repro's original but sells the later ones that don't work and leak. Most people don't know what a 56 to 59 original looks like because it's not judged.
Our C6 Convertible don't leak a bit
Old 03-19-2011, 02:01 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Been caught in the rain once with the hardtop on in my 61. I might as well have had the roof off It is restored too. Most of the leaks were in the area where the roof meets the windshield. They are not water tight by any means.

I have a restored '62 and no matter how tight the seal is between the windshield and the roof I still get water. I must say however that I get less water inside with the hardtop than with the soft top. I hate being caught in the rain!!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you drive a C1 in one of our Florida monsoons then its time to build an ark anyway. You ARE going to get wet. I've heard variations on putting an extra piece of weatherstrip or that closed cell foam along the header seal of the hardtop/softtop with varying degrees of success. Of course JackFit on the forum has installed a third latch for the middle of his soft top on his C2 that seems to work the best...
Old 03-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Dads61
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the title for the thread, and said to myself - YES..

I do have another solution, leave the top down and drive faster- its about the same, but without the car funneling water at you directly!!! Especially my wife- she gets this really nice stream that sprays at her from around the bottom of the windshield post when the tops up in a hard rain..............makes her happy
Old 03-19-2011, 02:56 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads61

I do have another solution, leave the top down and drive faster- its about the same, but without the car funneling water at you directly!!!

I hope you weren't joking..because that is exactly what I do. This past year I was at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and a storm was coming. It started pouring but at 70 MPH I hardly got wet with the top down.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Dads61
Advanced

Originally Posted by corvette-62
I hope you weren't joking..because that is exactly what I do. This past year I was at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and a storm was coming. It started pouring but at 70 MPH I hardly got wet with the top down.
No that was serious...people look at you funny too.....
Old 03-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Romulus1960
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Jeep CJ was my daily driver for 6 years down here in South Florida. Drove it rain or shine no top. ... just drove it faster in the rain. Unless I got stuck at a light... I usually got by with a damp left shoulder.

You guys are starting to make me think that might be a better choice for rainy days.....

I think it's just a matter of fresh weatherstrip, patience in fitting, and trial and error to get it ehhh..... 85% dry.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 roof leaks

Old 03-19-2011, 05:51 PM
TroyPyles
Pro

It ain't just C1's. My 63 leaks at the top of the windshield too. I've tightened down the top big time and no help. I suspect the water may actually be coming through between the rubber seal that goes around the glass and the stainless trim that covers it, rather than between the stainless trim and the top header weatherstrip. Fortunatley it drips pretty much straight down in the center and a well placed coffee cup can catch it.

My 54 grew up in Seattle and had the Swiss cheese floor boards to drain the water out.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:32 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ps374
I have read in book and on the forum that C1 roof and windows leaked on 53 to 55 cars. Was this a issue on 56 to 62 cars as well? I talking when these cars were new and the tops new. Those who dare have their C1s out in the rain do you get a bath?
I got into this one late, but I trust you are joking, right?
Oh ya, and it isn't just 53-62 Vettes (by the way, I
DO NOT do the C-thing), it's ALL YEARS of Vettes that leak!

Tom Parsons
Old 03-19-2011, 06:42 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Both my '57 and '61 leak primarily between the top and the windshield. I suspect that the original weatherstripping on both the soft and hard tops was more flexible and sealed better. As the years went by, they got hard, leaked, and got replaced with reproduction weatherstrip that was stiffer. I was able to adjust the top latches a little to obtain a little tighter seal which helped some. Usually, I just bring some towels and if the wife is along, she keeps the water from dripping all over the dash and carpet. My '86 coupe does not leak at all, even in a severe rainstorm.

Quick Reply: C1 roof leaks