C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

flares new jersey

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Rando1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flares new jersey

What would it cost to have four flares put on a 66,they are nos ecklers 3/4 panel (new)...what would be a fair price to pay a good to high end body shop? thanks ,and does anybody know of any good reputable shops in north jersey? thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

About $25,000 as that is about how much they will kill the value of your car.

Seriously.

If you really want flared fenders, I personally would look around until I found one with them and then buy or trade for it. While I like flares, I would never take a stock body today and put flares on it.

As to body shop prices, figure that you will have to have a complete paint job, unless your paint is very fresh. And then, if it is any metallic color, you really need the whole car painted. $5000 to $10,000 and since you said it is a high end shop, figure $10,000. With it being New Jersey and the insane EPA laws they have there for body shops, the paint could be higher.

Splicing a 3/4 panel in will take skill. The number of panels I'd seen there they are not straight can't be counted. They frequently are not level, flat, or however you want to describe the fact that the two panels do not lay in the same plane where the butt joint is. So you end up with a gallon of bondo to get the panel to look right.

WAG, I'd say there is 40 hours of labor there easily so figure the shop rate (high end - probably $100/hour) so you are looking at $4000 to get the fender flares in.

I would also trade the 3/4 panel flares back in and get some full panel flares as that improves the work greatly. Since they aren't stock, you can use the rough back spray mold fiberglass in green, yellow, purple, gray, whatever and not buy expensive press molded panels. Carefully remove the stock original panels and they will sell for some really decent money as most are trying to fix those old rear quarters.

Good luck
Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 AM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner

Seriously.

If you really want flared fenders, I personally would look around until I found one with them and then buy or trade for it. While I like flares, I would never take a stock body today and put flares on it.

As to body shop prices, figure that you will have to have a complete paint job, unless your paint is very fresh. And then, if it is any metallic color, you really need the whole car painted. $5000 to $10,000 and since you said it is a high end shop, figure $10,000. With it being New Jersey and the insane EPA laws they have there for body shops, the paint could be higher.

Splicing a 3/4 panel in will take skill. The number of panels I'd seen there they are not straight can't be counted. They frequently are not level, flat, or however you want to describe the fact that the two panels do not lay in the same plane where the butt joint is. So you end up with a gallon of bondo to get the panel to look right.

WAG, I'd say there is 40 hours of labor there easily so figure the shop rate (high end - probably $100/hour) so you are looking at $4000 to get the fender flares in.

I would also trade the 3/4 panel flares back in and get some full panel flares as that improves the work greatly. Since they aren't stock, you can use the rough back spray mold fiberglass in green, yellow, purple, gray, whatever and not buy expensive press molded panels. Carefully remove the stock original panels and they will sell for some really decent money as most are trying to fix those old rear quarters.

Good luck
Most shops especially in New Jersey, charge $80.00 per hour or more plus materials. The shop that I used in NJ just went out of business so, I cannot recommend one.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Seriously.

Good luck
Excellent advice!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Seriously.

Well said.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

You might want to give Steve at Russ Corvette Restorations a call. He's located in Hainesport, which is near Philly. Obviously it's not North Jersey, but he does work for people from all over the state. He's doing a body off on a 71 for a person from around Bergan, right now.

He's been doing Corvettes for about 10 years, both stock and modified. His hourly rate is lower than a lot of shops around, too. The only draw back is, I think he has about a 3 month wait right now. His number is: 609-351-6971. He can be tough to catch at times, so keep trying.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I can recommend The Early Vette Shop in Shohola, PA 18458.
570-685-4060. 30 minutes past Milford Pa. They specialize in 53-67 cars. Ask for Mike.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,044 Likes on 575 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Extreme Midyears in Hatboro, PA. Nice shop, good prices 267-282-5514
Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Easy Rider 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if I am reading this right its 25k for the flares and loss of value of 25k for a grand total of 50k out of pocket if he ever wants to sell it? Agree, much cheaper to just go buy one with flares. They are a lot cheaper.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 1
So, if I am reading this right its 25k for the flares and loss of value of 25k for a grand total of 50k out of pocket if he ever wants to sell it? Agree, much cheaper to just go buy one with flares. They are a lot cheaper.
no he is saying about a 25K loss in value in the total car when completed. that's after you pay a shop around 15-20K to do the work.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

I hope we didn't scare you off. It really is very good advice.

Here is a thread you should read to confirm what we are saying.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...ture-post.html

This is what happens to undo what you want to do, and most owners want to undo it and go stock. So it will cost you greatly when you sell.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It's your car, do what ever you want to with it!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:51 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a pretty silly statement. Maybe his car already has flares he doesn't like, and maybe his car isn't even worth 25K.... yet. Maybe it's a project. I don't think he asked whether he should do it or not.

So here's a different opinion. It's only a car. GM didn't really care that much about the car when they built it, they were just trying to make money... so don't worry about what they did, do what you want. And today, there are 10's of thousands of them out there just like it, so what's to worry. People loose more than 25K in depreciation in the cars they drive everyday, and never give it a second thought - cars that they are NOT passionate about, so why worry about it with one that you might be passionate about? I would have bought a nicely flared car in a heart beat if I had come across one 12 years ago, but instead I bought mine and then when it was totalled in a accident, I decided it was time - it's getting flared - it was a $40,000 car when it was totaled, and it will still be worth at least $40,000 or more when it's rebuilt with flares. And since I will probably never sell it, the lawyer who settles my estate when I'm gone can worry about what it's worth -

But I must agree, it's a lot of work to do to a car if it is already nice and straight and stock - better to go find one with flares you like , or ones you don't like, and change them - but if the one you have is already a project, then doing it with flares done right will not cost you 25K in lost value - unless, of course, it's a rare spec'd $100K+ version.
Attached Images  

Last edited by FastEddy; 03-26-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:19 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well said, especially about legal settling estate, cause my mid years going to the very end with me. Loved your vert BTW, looking good.

Originally Posted by FastEddy
That's a pretty silly statement. Maybe his car already has flares he doesn't like, and maybe his car isn't even worth 25K.... yet. Maybe it's a project. I don't think he asked whether he should do it or not.

So here's a different opinion. It's only a car. GM didn't really care that much about the car when they built it, they were just trying to make money... so don't worry about what they did, do what you want. And today, there are 10's of thousands of them out there just like it, so what's to worry. People loose more than 25K in depreciation in the cars they drive everyday, and never give it a second thought - cars that they are NOT passionate about, so why worry about it with one that you might be passionate about? I would have bought a nicely flared car in a heart beat if I had come across one 12 years ago, but instead I bought mine and then when it was totalled in a accident, I decided it was time - it's getting flared - it was a $40,000 car when it was totaled, and it will still be worth at least $40,000 or more when it's rebuilt with flares. And since I will probably never sell it, the lawyer who settles my estate when I'm gone can worry about what it's worth -

But I must agree, it's a lot of work to do to a car if it is already nice and straight and stock - better to go find one with flares you like , or ones you don't like, and change them - but if the one you have is already a project, then doing it with flares done right will not cost you 25K in lost value - unless, of course, it's a rare spec'd $100K+ version.

Get notified of new replies

To flares new jersey

Quick Reply: flares new jersey