C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone ever see factory AC on a fuelie?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Vipermike
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used a reusable cone type air filter similar to filters used in modern car fresh air kits.

With that setup the filter can be secured directly to the air meter or located in front of the radiator with the intake air flowing through a somewhat original looking duct.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

An easy way out not yet mentioned is to use the long water pump and associated accessory brackets and pullies.

AC compressor hangs on the right manifold, alternator mounts in front of the right valve cover. That leaves room for the PS pump if you want it along with the stock air cleaner.

You'd need to modify the fuel line coming up from the pump to clear the alternator. You could shove the fan up in the shroud the additional amount but a better setup would be to remove the stock clutch fan and shroud and go with electric, switched on when the AC is on to keep air flowing over the condenser at low speed.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
here's one for only $1850.00...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1957-...Q5fAccessories

Bill

ps: shipping is only $15
That would solve my space issues but at that price, I'd rather loose some weight sweating without AC. I'm sure they are available for a lot less somewhere.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
An easy way out not yet mentioned is to use the long water pump and associated accessory brackets and pullies.

AC compressor hangs on the right manifold, alternator mounts in front of the right valve cover. That leaves room for the PS pump if you want it along with the stock air cleaner.

You'd need to modify the fuel line coming up from the pump to clear the alternator. You could shove the fan up in the shroud the additional amount but a better setup would be to remove the stock clutch fan and shroud and go with electric, switched on when the AC is on to keep air flowing over the condenser at low speed.
Hadn't thought about that, a long pump would likely move things forward just enough to make it all work and still look relatively original. I got the FI air cleaner mounted last night, will have the radiator and shroud in tonight and will measure the space and see how a long pump might work. Interesting idea, thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:28 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Texaspilot180
Roger that - no need to sweat it... until it hits 105 outside... maybe I really don't need AC, which would cause the wife to stay home when I take the 65 out... hmmmmm
This may be the easiest, cheapest option!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Roger that - no need to sweat it... until it hits 105 outside... maybe I really don't need AC, which would cause the wife to stay home when I take the 65 out... hmmmmm
LOL...I don't live too far from you. All I do is drive it earlier in the morning!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe the original question should be turned around. In the last 47 years, I'm sure more than one C2 owner has installed FI on his factory A/C car, low compression, hydraulic lifters and all.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jkuzzy
LOL...I don't live too far from you. All I do is drive it earlier in the morning!
Go for coffee then go home before it gets hot!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sub006
Maybe the original question should be turned around. In the last 47 years, I'm sure more than one C2 owner has installed FI on his factory A/C car, low compression, hydraulic lifters and all.
Thats what was I was thinking but other than a few C1 guys using flex hose and a short stack style air cleaner, I haven't found anyone that has done this with a factory FI C2 car.

I'm working a street rod shop owner that is also a Vintage Air dealer, and have provided them with photos showing the FI air cleaner, upper radiator hose, fan shroud etc in place. The current proposed solution after discussiing with Vintage Air is to mount the Sanden AC compressor on the passenger side as is typically done on all afternarket installs, then mount a street rod style mini alternator low on the driver side where the PS pump would be. This seems the only way to keep the original FI air cleaner in place. If I use a short stack type air cleaner then I'll need to also change the drivers side exhaust manifold, as my original has no provision for mounting anything to it like the passenger side. If the mini alternator works I'm going to do that, as it will be low and somewhat hidden and put the polished Sanden compressor on the passenger side. We'll see. I'll post pics eventually once I get it sorted out.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OldKarz
This may be the easiest, cheapest option!
I'm beginning to think so. I don't mind going by myself... ends those discussions about "when are we going to leave"," can we go over to the mall", "this is boring".... etc.... But really, AC is important here in Texas so I'll keep at it, there is a solution and it will develop.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I'm beginning to think so. I don't mind going by myself... ends those discussions about "when are we going to leave"," can we go over to the mall", "this is boring".... etc.... But really, AC is important here in Texas so I'll keep at it, there is a solution and it will develop.
what did people do before A/C? why devalue a car like a 65 FI.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
what did people do before A/C? why devalue a car like a 65 FI.
I don't know if adding aftermarket AC will devalue the car all that much. It's not a 100% NCRS car anyway. I've not physically altered the car and I'm trying not to so the aftermarket AC can be removed by someone later if they want to back to original heat - defrost only. Without AC it won't get much use given our summer temps and the AC will make using the car more enjoyable. AC was available in 65, just not on every car and not on the FI cars, so I guess people just endured the heat and tolerated it.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:59 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

If original Texas coupe buyers were smart, they insisted on white or silver, inside and out. Silver seats in my red non-A/C car made summer driving in sunny Southern California tolerable.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sub006
If original Texas coupe buyers were smart, they insisted on white or silver, inside and out. Silver seats in my red non-A/C car made summer driving in sunny Southern California tolerable.
Well, my coupe is Rally Red with black interior, so it will be hot in there without AC.

Looks like a potential solution is developing to put the alternator where the PS pump would be using a mini alternator which is quite a bit smaller than the stock GM in both diameter and depth but still produces the needed amps. Should have a final idea if this option will pan out or not shortly. If it does, then the Vintage Air goes on the passenger side with a polished compressor and the small chrome mini on the lower left side. The mini unit looks just like the factory GM part, just smaller. Hope it works, need to move the AC install along and get the wiring and dash back in.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:04 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah. Look for GM executive/show cars. I think I saw it either in Mike's Museum at Mid America, or in Bob McDorman's collection.

Those exceptions are like the 64 BB with A-C and 4 wheel disc brakes that an exec's wife got. Money was no object.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by magicv8
Yeah. Look for GM executive/show cars. I think I saw it either in Mike's Museum at Mid America, or in Bob McDorman's collection.

Those exceptions are like the 64 BB with A-C and 4 wheel disc brakes that an exec's wife got. Money was no object.
Normally it would be a big deal to add AC, its just that big FI air cleaner on the drivers side preventing me from relocaitng the alternator there. Been looking everywhere I can for pics of custom install's, show cars, etc like those you mentioned. Found pne pic of a C2 FI with the alternator mounted in the center, slightly left, using a shorter oil fill tube. Not a real clean install, looked odd, but that car also had PS added so that space wasn't available. I'm still thinking my best bet is the mini alternator where the PS pump would be, and have a street rod shop looking into the brackets/alternator/wiring etc to see if that works for me.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:47 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Normally it would be a big deal to add AC, its just that big FI air cleaner on the drivers side preventing me from relocaitng the alternator there. Been looking everywhere I can for pics of custom install's, show cars, etc like those you mentioned. Found pne pic of a C2 FI with the alternator mounted in the center, slightly left, using a shorter oil fill tube. Not a real clean install, looked odd, but that car also had PS added so that space wasn't available. I'm still thinking my best bet is the mini alternator where the PS pump would be, and have a street rod shop looking into the brackets/alternator/wiring etc to see if that works for me.
i have seen some very small alternators lately... let me know how it goes
Bill
Old 03-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wmf62
i have seen some very small alternators lately... let me know how it goes
Bill
Bill - Yes, the mini alternator looks very promising for this situation. I'll post an end result with photos once we get the issue resolved and the AC installed and car running. Jeff
Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 PM
64_365
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at the albums on my profile. No, I don't know where the brackets came from.

I apologize if someone has already posted this but I have only skimmed this thread, the obvious solution to me is a front runner system.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever see factory AC on a fuelie?