C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Hardtop installed...most attractive color combo ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,124 Likes on 552 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I like solid colors.
Joe

Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stan we should compare notes as I am in the same boat with my 62 restomod. I have been telling my bodyman that it was going to be triple black to push him to prepare the body to the highest level. I am nearing the final decison going to paint in the next 60 days and will be running a hardtop only as my wheels tubs will probably not allow the soft top to fit....bummer. I greatly appreciate all the expertise I receive from the forum members even Billy at Corvette Correction has helped me even though I am not running his frame! Thanks again to everyone!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Vet
Stan we should compare notes as I am in the same boat with my 62 restomod. I have been telling my bodyman that it was going to be triple black to push him to prepare the body to the highest level. I am nearing the final decison going to paint in the next 60 days and will be running a hardtop only as my wheels tubs will probably not allow the soft top to fit....bummer. I greatly appreciate all the expertise I receive from the forum members even Billy at Corvette Correction has helped me even though I am not running his frame! Thanks again to everyone!
I'm up for the conversation any time...I've been struggling with a color choice waaaay to long. What color are you leaning toward? ...which wheels? ...what chassis?

PM me ....or PM for phone # anytime..I've got a ton of information from the forum too. I couldn't build this car without the help I've gotten from the forum and it's members. Heck of a group of knowledgeable guys

Stan..
Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by plaidside
I like solid colors.
Joe

Yep ...that IS nice..!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:17 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I agonized over this some until I got my wide whitewalls. A white top, with white coves and wide whitewalls is just simply unbeatable. The contrast whips heads around to the point Orlando chiropractors have had a spike in customers...
That is a very striking combination Frankie.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I agonized over this some until I got my wide whitewalls. A white top, with white coves and wide whitewalls is just simply unbeatable. The contrast whips heads around to the point Orlando chiropractors have had a spike in customers...
Very nice Frank..

That's the only shot I have seen of your car with the wide whites...have you had them on very long?

Are you running the hardtop all the time?

Stan..
Old 04-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Very nice Frank..

That's the only shot I have seen of your car with the wide whites...have you had them on very long?

Are you running the hardtop all the time?

Stan..
I pulled the trigger on the wide whites at last January's Florida NCRS meet. I got one of the vendors down to $600 for 4 brand new Diamondbacks and just happened to be driving the pickup truck. Prob saved $300 over an Internet buy(if you count shipping costs). Been running them since then.

Stan - its Florida ! Driving topless is mandatory most months. I did run the top from last November until this February. I loved the way it looks and driving with it on. Visibility is super and the whit e headliner makes the cockpit seem bigger (hardtop does have an inch or two more height). However, when I took it off water had gotten under the rear weatherstrip and I had to spend some time and elbow grease rubbing out the deck lid 'cloudiness'.

Anyway I'm looking pretty hard at Vintage Air's new C1 (Generation 4) A/C and if I put that it the hardtop might become a permanent fixture. This new A/C kit is much improved in nearly every aspect. Looks, performance, installation, etc. We'll see....my time is at a premium right now with my consulting work.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I pulled the trigger on the wide whites at last January's Florida NCRS meet. I got one of the vendors down to $600 for 4 brand new Diamondbacks and just happened to be driving the pickup truck. Prob saved $300 over an Internet buy(if you count shipping costs). Been running them since then.

Stan - its Florida ! Driving topless is mandatory most months. I did run the top from last November until this February. I loved the way it looks and driving with it on. Visibility is super and the whit e headliner makes the cockpit seem bigger (hardtop does have an inch or two more height). However, when I took it off water had gotten under the rear weatherstrip and I had to spend some time and elbow grease rubbing out the deck lid 'cloudiness'.

Anyway I'm looking pretty hard at Vintage Air's new C1 (Generation 4) A/C and if I put that it the hardtop might become a permanent fixture. This new A/C kit is much improved in nearly every aspect. Looks, performance, installation, etc. We'll see....my time is at a premium right now with my consulting work.
Dang good price on some wide whites..!! I've seen them nearly double that.

I hadn't heard about VA's Gen 4 a/c system . I'll have to check that out. I like Classic Air's big Evaporator...and had planned on using it till now. Well really I had planned on Hot Rod Air till they went out of business....then decided on Classic Air.

Naturally like you in Florida, I would have to have A/C to run a hardtop all the time. In fact that will be one of the next things I'll trial fit under the dash . We just finished the initial firewall reconstruction...filling the heater holes and adding several layers of glass inside to firm up the firewall.

Do you have any more pics with wide whites posted in any of the threads..? I have only seen that one...although I have several with the narrow whitewalls.

Stan...
Old 04-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Don't have a lot of pics with the wide whites (but here is one more). The main complaint I hear with C1 A/C systems is the volume of air that gets moved out of the ducts/louvers and getting the temp down. Vintage Gen IV has addressed that and also has much 'slicker' looking cockpit louver arrangement...not some of those 'boxy' looking thingees .... C1's are all about curves. Gen IV is all electronic too - no funky cables/vacuum operation: http://www.vintageair.com/58-62corvette.asp.

Mike Coletta (61retro) and I sat down yesterday and sorta did a mental walk-through of what it would take to install this on my car. Doesn't sound nearly as bad as I thought...(of course I have Mike to bail me out of jam.). Installation could be even cleaner with some custom hose configurations Mike suggested.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-08-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't have a lot of pics with the wide whites (but here is one more). The main complaint I hear with C1 A/C systems is the volume of air that gets moved out of the ducts/louvers and getting the temp down. Vintage Gen IV has addressed that and also has much 'slicker' looking cockpit louver arrangement...not some of those 'boxy' looking thingees .... C1's are all about curves. Gen IV is all electronic too - no funky cables/vacuum operation: http://www.vintageair.com/58-62corvette.asp.

Mike Coletta (61retro) and I sat down yesterday and sorta did a mental walk-through of what it would take to install this on my car. Doesn't sound nearly as bad as I thought...(of course I have Mike to bail me out of jam.). Installation could be even cleaner with some custom hose configurations Mike suggested.
Yep...I heard the same thing about air volume at the ducts on Vintage Air. If that issue has been addressed I would reconsider Vintage Air. I would still want to compare evaporator sizes too...if they are similar in size good... If one was a lot bigger I would likely use the large one. Condensers enter into it too, size that is.

I could just buy the ducts and trim from VA and put the rest together. I'm using a GM serpentine belt set up from GMPP on my ZZ4 including the compressor anyway. Not much else needed except for some custom assembled hoses...which I think I can run outside the engine well on the passenger side and back thru the top of the fenderwell to the firewall (I "think"..haven't fitted it all yet). Should keep the a/c hoses out of the way of the battery box....but I dont have a evaporator assy. in hand to see if it would work yet.

Maybe I should ask Mike about that ....I'm sure he would know.

Thanks for the xtra pic...the wide whites look more era correct. '61 was the last year for them too..

I thought he narrow whites looked good too, with the coves and white top, which is surprising to me. I generally only like the wide whites.

Stan...
Old 04-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yep...I heard the same thing about air volume at the ducts on Vintage Air. If that issue has been addressed I would reconsider Vintage Air. I would still want to compare evaporator sizes too...if they are similar in size good... If one was a lot bigger I would likely use the large one. Condensers enter into it too, size that is.

I could just buy the ducts and trim from VA and put the rest together. I'm using a GM serpentine belt set up from GMPP on my ZZ4 including the compressor anyway. Not much else needed except for some custom assembled hoses...which I think I can run outside the engine well on the passenger side and back thru the top of the fenderwell to the firewall (I "think"..haven't fitted it all yet). Should keep the a/c hoses out of the way of the battery box....but I dont have a evaporator assy. in hand to see if it would work yet.

Maybe I should ask Mike about that ....I'm sure he would know.

Thanks for the xtra pic...the wide whites look more era correct. '61 was the last year for them too..

I thought he narrow whites looked good too, with the coves and white top, which is surprising to me. I generally only like the wide whites.

Stan...
I think wmf62 (Bill) has actually bought the nice V/A ducts to hook into his existing A/C in the '62 and they weren't that much...
Old 04-08-2011, 05:08 PM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Frank, after seeing your beauty I'm staying with a white top. Real eye candy.
Bob
Old 04-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I don't blame you. C1s naturally command attention anyway - but with the contrasting tires, coves and top folks just can't help but stare.

Odd, though -- somebody on here said the hardtop makes the whole car look shorter. Man, I sure don't think so....the first time I had it on the wife remarked on much longer the hood looked and my first picture back a few posts bears that out IMO.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-08-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:33 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I think wmf62 (Bill) has actually bought the nice V/A ducts to hook into his existing A/C in the '62 and they weren't that much...
this, possibly to replace

this

Bill
Old 04-08-2011, 06:35 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 65Bob-bo
Frank, after seeing your beauty I'm staying with a white top. Real eye candy.
Bob

Bill
Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 PM
billybalut
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aloha all, I rebuilt my 61's top years ago with a kit I got from CC or paragon or another big vender, and got some new retainers for the trim that looked to be made of plastic. I was assured that these were better than the originals but they are NOT! They started going to hell, cracking and turning to dust only after a few years. Question: is there any company that makes a good retainer for the top upper rear window chrome? Is there anyone out there that makes the proper bottom seal for the 61/62? The earlier model seal does not fit right and look like crap. appreciate any help here. Mahalo
Old 05-02-2017, 09:57 AM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop problem

I literally just Googled Stan's Customs but didn't want to call you.
I've read several posts referring to an article you wrote about restoring C1 hardtops. I was just searching for a little information to fix/reattach the passenger side hold down bracket on my 61 hardtop. I was taking the top off and the bracket fell off. It seems to be held on by 3 rivets, not pop rivets, that pulled out of the top and are still in the bracket. I'm not sure how I can repair it. I was thinking of filling the holes with Liquid Weld and using 3 small screws. Got any suggestions. Not an NCRS
Thanks
Bill

Thanks Bill..
I concur, that's three good reasons for a hardtop...

Two more big reasons for me is increased headroom...and much greater visibility.

I had similar thoughts on mags ...a solid color color seems more appropriate with mags, but I'm not positive. I also like wide whites and painted coves...just don't know if a car can look good both ways. It would be nice to be able to be able to run wide whites and hub caps part of the year and bling wheels the other part. Wheels contribite so much to the personality of a car, I don't know if that is possible. If it is, I've had a hard time determining what color scheme it would be possible with.

Stan...

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Hardtop installed...most attractive color combo ??

Old 05-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Lazarus... come out!
Old 05-07-2017, 10:46 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BillbUrruss
I literally just Googled Stan's Customs but didn't want to call you.
I've read several posts referring to an article you wrote about restoring C1 hardtops. I was just searching for a little information to fix/reattach the passenger side hold down bracket on my 61 hardtop. I was taking the top off and the bracket fell off. It seems to be held on by 3 rivets, not pop rivets, that pulled out of the top and are still in the bracket. I'm not sure how I can repair it. I was thinking of filling the holes with Liquid Weld and using 3 small screws. Got any suggestions. Not an NCRS
Thanks
Bill
Hello Bill..

I had major problems with the top I started that article on...it was very warped or "out of square" you might say.

It was not possible for me to get it to fit and center properly on the rear window windsplit. It had to be sent to Glassworks to be squared up on their jig...so I just let them finish the whole job.

Regarding your issue...I would call Matt at Glassworks for the best professional way to fix your problem. There is nothing about these tops he doesn't know.

Good luck and best regards...Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 05-07-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:11 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

I like the hardtop on.

I too, may see a Vintage Air in the near future!

Pat

The following users liked this post:
ohiovet (05-07-2017)

Quick Reply: C1 Hardtop installed...most attractive color combo ??