C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Stripping old paint from fiberglass Corvette

Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I had mine sand blasted, but you have to make sure your sandblast guy knows what he is doing or he could destroy a car .
Name:  blastleftside54vette.png
Views: 4481
Size:  1.34 MB
Old 06-02-2014, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by momo608
I have a 1970 corvette that has a base coat clear coat paint job and I have no idea what's under that. I want a chemical stripper that will not attack or otherwise compromise the original fiberglass. What product by name brand would you recommend for doing the job. What would you use?
ALL chemical strippers will damage fiberglass or SMC if abused. The main difference is how strong these strippers are in the concentration of the chemicals that actually do the work.

SO...momo608...I sent you a PM...because what I use is STOUT (because I do not have time to "dilly-dally" around when getting paint off)...and IF you pay attention to what you are doing...you WILL NOT HAVE a problem. If you plan on using what I use and have used for over 20+ years will require us talking on the phone so I can easily and quickly tell you what to do...because honestly...I do not want to type it out....and it is misinterpreted or misunderstood and you have a problem and then BLAME ME for your ignorance.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Richard Daugird (03-04-2016)
Old 06-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

I've stripped many a Corvette with Captain Lees and have NEVER had an issue....EVER. Captain Lee's is a "top coat" stripper". It's not rocket science.

Once you're done, wash it down with water and then give it a final sanding with a light grade paper. Sometimes it will take a few applications to get through all the previous paint jobs but it works great. DO NOT use an aircraft stripper....ever....

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 06-02-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
. DO NOT use an aircraft stripper....ever....
I MUST politely disagree.

I have been using Aircraft remover for almost 30 years with NOT ONE problem...EVER!!! NOT ONE!!! And YES...I am talking about factory fiberglass an SMC panels. Also steel panels...but that is different.

Aircraft Remover strips one layer at a time....so when using it...if a person is watchful...they will not have an issue. Many of these other strippers offered are made in a weaker formula so mess-up's are less likely....thus more product is needed and time.

It is all about how to use Aircraft Remover an know what you are doing with it makes the difference. If a person can not handle that...then buy gallons of the other stuff if it makes you feel any better. Bottom line to me is that you get your Corvette the way you want it. How long it takes is irrelevant due to you are doing it instead of paying someone to do it.

The reason that they have to write and say NOT to use it on fiberglass is because someone will use it...abuse it... and then want them to fix the mess up that they caused because they used something without NOT KNOWING how to use it.

And I know many people will do things the way they want and believe what they want and swear by what they know....which is fine and dandy by me.....And I am no different....BUT...I have never used water to rinse off my stripper...it has ALWAYS been with clean lacquer thinner and then acetone. But then again...I know what I am doing and have a procedure.

Not that what I write means does not mean jack squat...but I do this for a living...and have to warranty/guarantee my work like many others here on the forum who do this for a living. We can differ in our procedures, products used and many other factors...but one things is for certain....we all hold true to what WE know works and has not failed. And knowing that TIME IS MONEY...spending more time on a project that will effect the costs to a customer when a procedure and product used can reduce that time...will no ill effects....why not use it. And this is not only referring to chemical strippers. You can cut a tree down with a chainsaw faster than with a buck saw...but someone who lost their leg in a chainsaw accident will swear that chainsaws are dangerous and should not be used.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Richard Daugird (03-04-2016)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone mentioned that Por15 has a stripper out too. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Bud.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I MUST politely disagree.

I have been using Aircraft remover for almost 30 years with NOT ONE problem...EVER!!! NOT ONE!!! And YES...I am talking about factory fiberglass an SMC panels. Also steel panels...but that is different.

Aircraft Remover strips one layer at a time....so when using it...if a person is watchful...they will not have an issue. Many of these other strippers offered are made in a weaker formula so mess-up's are less likely....thus more product is needed and time.

It is all about how to use Aircraft Remover an know what you are doing with it makes the difference. If a person can not handle that...then buy gallons of the other stuff if it makes you feel any better. Bottom line to me is that you get your Corvette the way you want it. How long it takes is irrelevant due to you are doing it instead of paying someone to do it.

The reason that they have to write and say NOT to use it on fiberglass is because someone will use it...abuse it... and then want them to fix the mess up that they caused because they used something without NOT KNOWING how to use it.

And I know many people will do things the way they want and believe what they want and swear by what they know....which is fine and dandy by me.....And I am no different....BUT...I have never used water to rinse off my stripper...it has ALWAYS been with clean lacquer thinner and then acetone. But then again...I know what I am doing and have a procedure.

Not that what I write means does not mean jack squat...but I do this for a living...and have to warranty/guarantee my work like many others here on the forum who do this for a living. We can differ in our procedures, products used and many other factors...but one things is for certain....we all hold true to what WE know works and has not failed. And knowing that TIME IS MONEY...spending more time on a project that will effect the costs to a customer when a procedure and product used can reduce that time...will no ill effects....why not use it. And this is not only referring to chemical strippers. You can cut a tree down with a chainsaw faster than with a buck saw...but someone who lost their leg in a chainsaw accident will swear that chainsaws are dangerous and should not be used.

DUB
No problem. We can disagree. It's just a car forum. We all have our own way of doing things. I also do this for a living.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:03 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

FWIW I once had my 67 media (not soda) blasted and the paint job looked perfect up to the time I sold it ten years later.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bud2
Someone mentioned that Por15 has a stripper out too. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Bud.
Sorry...I have not tried it out.

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
No problem. We can disagree. It's just a car forum. We all have our own way of doing things. I also do this for a living.
100% also...

Originally Posted by LouieM
FWIW I once had my 67 media (not soda) blasted and the paint job looked perfect up to the time I sold it ten years later.
I have had Corvettes media blasted with the plastic shot...and for the most part it worked well...but what I noticed that there are areas that the media could not get well without damaging the fiberglass. I like media blasting EXCEPT for the clean-up. That is where I do not like it.

DUB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stripping old paint from fiberglass Corvette