C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

About Knock Off Wheel Safety Pins

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 09:30 AM
Tcheairs38655
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Default About Knock Off Wheel Safety Pins

I'm getting ready to remove my Western Wheel reproduction knock off wheels for the first time on my 66. I've collected some information on the process from the internet but it has all come in piecemeal. I'm particularly puzzled by the process for removing and replacing the little aluminum safety pins which supposedly keep the spinner from loosening.

1. If the spinners are threaded up tight (which they are according to the reference markers I places on them and a wheel spoke and check visually often) how does one remove the pins before you knock off the spinner? Or is that necessary? I know the pins are soft (aluminum), so do you just disregard the inserted pin and "knock away" on the spinner?

2. Also, when reinstalling the wheels and tightening the spinner, how do you get the spinner tight enough and still have the holes for the pins line up so that you can insert them. I'd be tickled to death to find a spinner removal tool that would not damage my spinners but there is apparently no such thing on the market (liability issues probably)

Obviously I need a very comprehensive set of instructions for this "risky" operation and I'd appreciate guidance to a thread here in the forum with photos if possible. Or, a set of instructions online that I can download and print. I did purchase a heavy "***** thumper" all lead hammer to replace the somewhat beat up original hammer that came with the car.

As you can see I'm a little "gun shy" about this operation and would appreciate all of the advice I can get, hopefully from this knowledgeable forum...THANKS
Old 02-07-2024, 09:57 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

You do need to remove those silly pins before trying to remove the spinners. Otherwise, they will probably partially shear and lock up the spinner as they embed in the threads of the spinner and KO adapter.

Once you get those silly pins out, throw them away. They are a "feel good" affectation only. Totally, totally, totally unnecessary if your KO wheel is properly indexed and the spinner is properly tightened. Too, they are probably worthless if your wheel isn't indexed and the spinner tight.

To that last point, my bride's former track car and my Grand Sport vintage racer both have KO wheels. There are no ridiculous "safety" pins. None of the spinners on either car have ever worked loose while turning a wheel in anger.
The following users liked this post:
Ol Blue (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 10:03 AM
2009stanger
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 18 Posts

I’ve had knock offs on my 65 for the last 13 years. I’ve always used needle nose pliers to pull the pins out before removing the wheels. If one is stuck, I usually tap the spinner with the lead hammer and it comes loose. Some say you don’t even need the pins; and I don’t doubt that they’re correct.

With the vehicle on the ground, give the spinners 6-7 good “whacks” with the lead hammer to tighten them. Then I install the pin. The lead hammer you have is all you need.

Also, it’s very important to line up the correct bolts/pins on the adapter to the correct holes on the wheel.

I was nervous at first, but like anything else you get used to it after doing it several times.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:11 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Google Search “Corvette America knock off wheel install instructions.” Look at the pictures and instructions from the manufacturer.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:17 AM
Tcheairs38655
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Jim Lockwood mentioned wheel "properly indexed" and I'm not really sure what that means.

However, I definitely will download the instructions from Corvette America.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:21 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 578 Posts

Ugh.
Believe this.
Proprerly indexed. If the 2 left side wheels are on the left side of the car and the 2 right side wheels are on the right side of the car the pins are useless just leave them out.
YOUR WHEELS WILL NOT FALL OFF IF THEY ARE INDEXED PROPERLY.
By doing it this way you will never ever need to remove a center cap again which is a pain in the butt in itself.
Original KH K/Os did not have these needless pins.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:32 AM
Tcheairs38655
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Got It..thanks..
Old 02-07-2024, 11:25 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tcheairs38655
Got It..thanks..
Properly indexed means when you slide the wheel on the adaptor, you MUST put the large hole in the wheel over the lug nut on the adaptor and not over the guide pin. If you put the small hole in the wheel over the lug nut, the spinner will mount, but the wheel will be tightened against the lug instead of against the hub. It will chew up the inside of the wheel hole and eventually loosen. You can do it correctly and save that issue, OR you can install longer lug nuts that won't allow the wheel to go on far enough to start the spinner if the wheel is indexed incorrectly on the hub. It has nothing to do with which side of the car the wheel is mounted on.
Properly indexed and tightened, the wheel will not loosen no matter which side of the car you mount it on, however there is no reason NOT to mount them on the side intended and explained very clearly in the Corvette America instructions. Here is an example of a wheel that has been installed with the small hole over the lug nut:

Following is a picture which pins the holes go over:

The following 2 users liked this post by 65GGvert:
marshal135 (02-07-2024), Ol Blue (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 12:30 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

The wheels do need to be mounted on the proper sides of the car (the spinners should be stamped "LH" and "RH" and mounted to the corresponding side as you look at the car facing forward from the rear) and the pins/lug nuts do need to go in the correct holes. So, both of these issues need to be addressed correctly.

With respect to the side of the car on which the wheels are mounted, just make sure that when you hammer the flat side of the spinner, that flat side is toward the rear of the car. Thus, when you are hammering the spinner, you are making it turn towards the rear of the car, regardless of which side you're working on.
Old 02-07-2024, 12:52 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

I gave you the facts, do with them what you will.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:29 PM
DonBond
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Years ago I took a 16p galvanized nail and cut my own pins from it. I made sure they were long enough to stick out of the hole just far enough to ensure I could grab them with a needle nose. Easy peasy. I use a suction cup to remove center cap
Old 02-07-2024, 01:33 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

I believe what Jack is trying to tell you is that the wheel "adapters" need to be mounted on the correct side of the car because of the threading for the spinners which are "side specific". The wheel, itself, doesn't know or care what side of the car it's mounted on. Install the adapters correctly, and the wheel onto the adapters correctly (indexed), and the spinners correctly and you'll have no issues.
The following users liked this post:
marshal135 (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 01:49 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I think what Jack is telling us, rather than trying to tell us is that the manufacturer's instructions for its installation and use are always the best to follow. That this is the 13th post responding to "how do I?" points to the problem. 13 answers from users and none from the engineers who designed the wheels.

As a user of KH quick take-off wheels I concede there is but one defect in the design. They were designed to permit improper installation. That is why so many of us are vociferous about this subject. The instructions that come with your wheels are to be followed to the letter.

Dan

Get notified of new replies

To About Knock Off Wheel Safety Pins

Quick Reply: About Knock Off Wheel Safety Pins