C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question on fitting doors

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Default Question on fitting doors

I'm working on getting the doors fitted and adjusted to the car and new front clip. The doors have fore and aft adjustment and currently the inside, forward edge of the driver's door fits much closer to the "A" pillar cover than the passenger door currently does. Does anyone have experience with the best fitment in this area, I'm assuming there must be an optimum gap so that the weatherstripping seals well in this area.

TIA,
Scott
Old 05-31-2011, 07:38 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
I'm working on getting the doors fitted and adjusted to the car and new front clip. The doors have fore and aft adjustment and currently the inside, forward edge of the driver's door fits much closer to the "A" pillar cover than the passenger door currently does. Does anyone have experience with the best fitment in this area, I'm assuming there must be an optimum gap so that the weatherstripping seals well in this area.

TIA,
Scott
Can you post some pictures of both sides? The weatherstripping on the A pillar seals against the gutter so that is a somewhat critical dimension. Sometimes the gutter on the pillar can get distorted and pushed forward if anyone has used it for a push point to move the car around in the shop. They can be carefully bent back into position so the weatherstrip will contact them. But, that may not be the area of your question. Pictures might help get some responses.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Thanks Dan, I was able to take some pictures of the gaps I want to adjust. The driver's door sits about 1/4" from the pillar cover while the passenger door sits about 1/2" back, gaps on both sides are even top to bottom. I'm not concerned with the outside gaps at this time since material can be added/subtracted as needed to get those correct. Without having another C2 to compare it to, I would assume I need to slide the drivers door back and slide the passenger door forward.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-01-2011, 03:12 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I suppose you need to put in some door hinge shims

See the link below
http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...GR-SR&CTitle=&

Last edited by TheSaint; 06-01-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

I don't think so, those shims move the door in and out, not fore and aft. The hinges are slotted in the fore and aft direction. Both doors are currently shimmed to the exterior of the body. Approximately how large should this gap be, 3/8"-1/2" as in the passenger side or less like in the driver's side. The AM does not seem to specify.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

OK - I was mistaken as to the area of your concern. I'm sure you have noticed that it looks like the passenger side pillar cover is closer to the birdcage frame. I can see some gap on the driver side and looks like that might account for about 1/4 in. or so of the gap. I guess your positioning of the doors is based on the fit to the rear quarter panels and rear door jamb?

As I recall the dimension that is most crucial for the weatherstrip to seal is the in-and-out distance between the inner side of the door skin flange and the return just behind the fender edge where it turns to the rear of the car. The closing of the door clamps the rubber between those two surfaces. I don't think the front-to-rear dimension between the front door jamb and the hinge pillar is as critical. I think my car has some variance in those pillar to door jamb dimensions not too different from yours.

edit - I guess if the weatherstrip sat so far back on the inside lip of the front of the door, so as to completely miss the hinge pillar cover all together and not seal - that would be a problem. I think you would just have to temporarily fit a piece of weatherstripping in there and see if it hits and seals.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 06-02-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:51 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Merry Christmas you two! It's an omen that I go looking for help and found this older thread with the two guys who have helped me so much with my project. I figure I'd hop on for a ride with your thread.
Scott, my doors are not the same either but closer than yours. You are aware my clip is an issue but my doors are good. Drivers is centered with 5/16" on both sides and passenger is 3/8" on both sides. With that lid problem out of the way, both my doors open and close fine and if I really need to I can pull the A pillar forward to even the spaces at 3/8. What did you decide to do with yours?

I found this thread while looking for a distance for the wheel to the leading edge of the quarter. You mentioned wheel clearance before and I am at that point to cement the skins. My passenger side has 2 3/4" from tire to quarter and that skin is factory, only the B pillar needs to be re attached. The drivers side that was obviously hit hard and a new skin is at 2 1/4". If I measure from the A pillar back to the edge of both quarters the measurement is equal. I'm guessing that the left and right side axles need alignment. Can you offer a measurement of what yours is?

Have a great holiday friends!

Get notified of new replies

To Question on fitting doors

Quick Reply: Question on fitting doors