C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Custom fit Dynamat...Removing glue from bottom of floor board..Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Custom fit Dynamat...Removing glue from bottom of floor board..Questions

Hello

Im getting ready to install new carpet in my 63...I figure since Retro61 (Mike) has taken on the job of making my old crusty seats look like new..It wont look too good with old carpet in the car..Of course, some of its glued down and will need to be removed..

What is the "best way" to remove the old glue...plastic scrapper?, chemical of some sort?...looking for ideas..
Thanks
Pete

P.S. has anyone ever put down the custom fit dynamat for floor boards?...How happy are you with it??
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Hello

Im getting ready to install new carpet in my 63...I figure since Retro61 (Mike) has taken on the job of making my old crusty seats look like new..It wont look too good with old carpet in the car..Of course, some of its glued down and will need to be removed..

What is the "best way" to remove the old glue...plastic scrapper?, chemical of some sort?...looking for ideas..
Thanks
Pete

P.S. has anyone ever put down the custom fit dynamat for floor boards?...How happy are you with it??
Nothing short of a metal scrapper worked for me....I was leery of using chemicals on my fiberglass C1 floor...
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

my .02...

if you are looking for insulation value from the dynamat or any of its siblings, you are going to be disappointed...

Bill
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 AM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

I used a product called "Goof Off" not to be confused with Goo Gone. It easily removed the glue without harming the fiberglass. I used a wallpaper scraper to scrape off the softened glue. If you let it sit long enough it will remove paint. If you want to save the factory paint under the carpet for some reason just make sure you take it off within a couple minutes.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jprop
I used a product called "Goof Off" not to be confused with Goo Gone. It easily removed the glue without harming the fiberglass. I used a wallpaper scraper to scrape off the softened glue. If you let it sit long enough it will remove paint. If you want to save the factory paint under the carpet for some reason just make sure you take it off within a couple minutes.
Thanks Jprop...

Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Nothing short of a metal scrapper worked for me....I was leery of using chemicals on my fiberglass C1 floor...
That's how I did mine, metal scraper. You don't have to get it all up, but do use some clean hot water to remove any dust/dirt so the adhesive will have a clean surface. I think chemicals may be absorbed into the fiberglass so I didn't use any.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

I did my 64 Coupe a while back and just did the 59. Depending on what type of glue was used, usually it's the yellow brush on stuff, I like to start with a 2" metal scraper and get as much off as I can that way, vacuum up all the dust as you go. Use some simple green to get is real clean and grease free. On a couple of stubborn spots on the 59, I used some coarse sandpaper (JUST ON THE GLUE) to rough it up and got the rest off with some acetone (used sparingly) and a rag. Keep in mind the Dynamat needs a clean dust free surface to stick well but will go over traces of glue, so you dont have to go crazy. The key is to take the time to roll it on and get it really smooth. If in doubt, take a 2"
square piece of Dynamat or a piece of packing tape and test stick it to the surface and see if the adhesion is good. If you pick up dust, it's not clean enough for me yet.

To answer your second question about how happy I am with it, in the 64 Coupe, VERY. I did the entire interior including Headliner, doors and inside of doors, and even with side pipes, you can hear your tunes and have a conversation. It greatly improved the noise factor. I also used jute padding and foam backed carpet on top of that.

Pilot Dan

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 06-02-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
my .02...

if you are looking for insulation value from the dynamat or any of its siblings, you are going to be disappointed...

Bill

what do you like? or what system of various material do you like?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by John S 1961
what do you like? or what system of various material do you like?
the first thing to look for in any insulation, whether it's your house or your car, is to see if the specs give an 'R' value number; the higher the better. if you can't find one, then chances are it doesn't have much or any heat insulation value, just noise reduction.

the second thing is to put your insulation on the outside rather than inside on the floor; it's better to keep it out than to contain the heat onces it has migrated through your fiberglass. most people probably don't want the hassle or the eyesore on having it under the floor rather than on top.

check EZCool and this stuff http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTOM...Q5fAccessories

Bill
Old 06-02-2011, 03:54 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I used 3M adhesive remover on my coupe to get the old stuff out. Worked great and did no damage to the 'glass. I was able to lift off the old glue with a putty knife. I put Dynamat all over the interior, and it is definitely cooler and quieter. There may be other products that are cheaper and/or insulate better, but I'm happy.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I have the Eckler's "space age" ceramic insulation on the floor of the '61...which I covered right over two years later with a Dynamat equivalent and I agree with Bill. If there is some big advantage in insulation (even with TWO layers of different materials) I'm totally missing it. The C1 compartment is still a microwave oven in the Florida sun and heat.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Default Glue Fu**ing Glue underneath the old carpet...

Hello

I have been scrapping for the last few days I am still on the driverside floorboards...The glue used on this last carpet install is unbelieveable..

Im using goof off and a metal scrapper...Its still a very very long job..I also noticed a crack at the front of driverside floor board where emergency cable is mounted underneath floor board and small hole near accelerator pedal is..Any suggestion on how to fix this??

Thanks
Pete
Old 06-08-2011, 02:59 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Would a heat gun help?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:00 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Hello
I also noticed a crack at the front of driverside floor board where emergency cable is mounted underneath floor board and small hole near accelerator pedal is..Any suggestion on how to fix this??

Thanks
Pete
if it's a short 'crack', then you may be able to V it out and repair it with some epoxy. anything longer than an ich or so i would recommend grinding it out and repairing with resin and fiberglass mat.

same with the hole
Bill
Old 06-08-2011, 06:08 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I was lucky in that my carpeting was not glued down but all the rubber on the back of the carpet was really stuck to the fiberglass.After I scraped all of rubber off using both metal and plastic scrapers I used this to insulate first:

http://www.makepaintinsulate.com/

I mixed it with high heat flat black paint and used a small roller.I put several coats on the inside floor and the underside between the frame rails and part way up the fire wall.After all the coating dried then I used foil back duct insulation.
With the soft top up the car stays unbelievably cool.I also use a $11 oscillating fan that mounted to the heater box and draws air from the cowl vent to keep air moving when stopped at stop lights.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom fit Dynamat...Removing glue from bottom of floor board..Questions

Quick Reply: Custom fit Dynamat...Removing glue from bottom of floor board..Questions