C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Co$t of engine rebuild 1967 327/300

Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Like what was posted above, we don't know what was done or what was included. I've had several motors done by the best shop in town. They are well known among professional racers as THE place to have work done. The only problem is the wait during race season. To have them, dis-assemble, hot tank, bore, hone, re-size rods w/ new ARP bolts, grind the crank w/ new 77 bearings, new cam bearings, new hypereutectic pistons, moly rings, balance the rotating assembly, re-assemble and include a Fel-Pro complete gasket kit runs $1100. Add $300 to have the heads redone (valve grind and guides). These prices are what I paid last week to have a 301 short block done and that included sonic testing the block to make sure it would take a .125 overbore. I can't believe some of the prices people pay to have work done.

Jim

That is a reasonable price you paid for the work/parts.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:14 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by MarvBarrish
I usually keep my wife out it. it's better if she doesn't know.

Exactly-- I keep zero receipts and invoices. Not only is it better that she doesn't know the total, it's better if I dont know.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by MidYearRoadster
My question is..if it was just a rod knock...why did he bore out the engine???? were there alot of miles on it?
Rod knock means the rod bearing, rod and crank are trashed. Typically the oil pressure goes in the toilet, too.

All that metal goes everyhere through the engine through contaminated oil. It gets into the piston skirts and wrecks the cylinder walls along with trashing all the bearings, lifters, everything. It would be mechanic malpractice if a complete rebuild wasn't done including boring the cylinders. If it had a fair amount of miles it would need it anyway.

RG.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Rod knock means the rod bearing, rod and crank are trashed. Typically the oil pressure goes in the toilet, too.

All that metal goes everyhere through the engine through contaminated oil. It gets into the piston skirts and wrecks the cylinder walls along with trashing all the bearings, lifters, everything. It would be mechanic malpractice if a complete rebuild wasn't done including boring the cylinders. If it had a fair amount of miles it would need it anyway.

RG.
Wow!!!!!!!!

Do you run an engine rebuild service or has somebody sold you this bill of goods sometime in the recent past?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:46 PM
raweddle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. My beautiful wife Kelly will likely be satisfied with the gist of your responses. I know you will be shocked to hear that there is a double standard at my house regarding the legitimacy of 'discretionary' spending. My life is not my own. But , I do have a beautiful well running C2 corvette!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

"How many things have you bought that will give a lifetime of pleasure for $4,700?"..

Well there was a time in in Vegas... I was with a hooker..Ahhhh...Entertainment hostess... nevermind...
Old 06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,718 Likes on 804 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The $4,700+ seems to be a case of: "it is what it is". Sort of like trying closing the proverbial "barn door"......
Old 06-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by raweddle
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. My beautiful wife Kelly will likely be satisfied with the gist of your responses. I know you will be shocked to hear that there is a double standard at my house regarding the legitimacy of 'discretionary' spending. My life is not my own. But , I do have a beautiful well running C2 corvette!
When I got married in 1975; the preacher (and my pal) placed my hand on top of the wife-to-be's hand and told me in a serious voice, "..this is the last time you will ever have the upper hand." He was wiser than I knew at the time.

Just do what I do and tell your wife that you are having a 'mid-life' crisis and a classic muscle car is much less stressful on the marraige than a young blonde mistress...
Old 06-08-2011, 03:53 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
"How many things have you bought that will give a lifetime of pleasure for $4,700?"..

Well there was a time in in Vegas... I was with a hooker..Ahhhh...Entertainment hostess... nevermind...
I think you got screwed buddy.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
When I got married in 1975; the preacher (and my pal) placed my hand on top of the wife-to-be's hand and told me in a serious voice, "..this is the last time you will ever have the upper hand." He was wiser than I knew at the time.

Just do what I do and tell your wife that you are having a 'mid-life' crisis and a classic muscle car is much less stressful on the marraige than a young blonde mistress...
Well said Frankie.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by builder
I think you got screwed buddy.
And I would hope more than once!!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:29 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Pete, I hope your girlfriend doesn't see this post otherwise you might be going out to make another $4700 purchase........at a jewelry store!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:49 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Are you afraid of your wife?
I spend almost 4500.00 but replaced ever thing but cam and the block but had block work done. All excellent parts and a good motor builder also... Robert

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Co$t of engine rebuild 1967 327/300