C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Another "removing speedo cable" thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:48 PM
tha sista
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck
You state your cluster is out. You should be able to spin your tach using a cordless drill somehow. I HAVE NEVER DONE IT but it seems possible to me. Forward or reverse and RPM's on the drill I'm not sure. That way before you put it back together you could know head unit or cable. Perhaps someone here could expand on that.

Dennis
Dennis, the cluster was out, its now back in. It was a bugger to get out and in, too. Don't want to do that again. I did not put a drill or any other tool on it. I didn't want to hurt it!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tha sista
Dennis, the cluster was out, its now back in. It was a bugger to get out and in, too. Don't want to do that again. I did not put a drill or any other tool on it. I didn't want to hurt it!
Having done mine this winter I know your pain. Well here's hoping for the cable .

Dennis
Old 06-09-2011, 02:18 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

If you haven't already lubed your tach cable, my two cents: it's worth buying speedo/tach cable lube (I bought some called Kable-Eaze), and use it sparingly, as you don't want the lube wicking its way too far up and out of the cable housing mucking up the speedometer head. It's not expensive at all, and one tube will outlast you and probably the car.

Willcox has a tech article on lubing the speedo and tach cable (some old GM service bulletin as I recall, that even meantioned the GM lube to use, ST-640, which no longer exists but was a special cable lube).

For speedo cables you only want to lube the lower 2/3 of the cable, as the lube will wick its way up the remaining top 1/3 of the cable that goes into the back of the speedometer. I figured I would meantion that for posterity sake, in case a reader sees this thread and wants to lube a speedo cable.

You can ruin a speedometer head by using too much lube, and a little dab will do ya, if you're using the proper cable lubricant. A quarter size dollop in the palm of your hand that you slide the clean cable through is more than enough.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
Has anyone ever tried the adaptor that screws on the transmission end of the cable that (allegedly) you can use a grease gun and force lube in with the speedometer end still attached to the cluster?
I have the 90 degree adapter on my distributor. It works great. My tach cable has an almost straight shot from the firewall, to the distributor. It also has a zerk fitting so you can lube the cable ever so often. It appears to be is a very well made part.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another "removing speedo cable" thread