C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

QQ plates for customs in NJ a sad day!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Rando1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QQ plates for customs in NJ a sad day!

went to register my 69 with QQ plates and you are no longer able to do that in nj if the car has been altered from stock!!!! (and mine is super altered!)you cant even change the wheels!!!!!!!! anybody know anything about this????? or what i can do?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:03 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

What are QQ plates?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/S...clesPlates.htm

Wow - if you follow the link to the historic plate application form it says the antique vehicle "...canNOT be altered from the manufacturer's original design in ANY way."

Doesn't leave much (any?) latitude..does it ?

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-15-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

What do they have some classic experts at the Jersey DMV? How would they know they are custom wheels for instance? My brother has QQ plates on a couple of his classics ( but has had them for years).
Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yes Ma'am, that's the way it came from the factory!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I just looked at the guideline book and they show examples of what is acceptable and what is not and it seems like things that are obviously not factory installed like a huge scoop on the hood or a tach mounted on the hood ( like a sun tach, not the GTO type) , missing parts, not finsihed etc do not comply but in the pictures of cars that do pass, two had aftermarket wheels. How much is your 69 altered? ( pics)

Don
Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

New Jersey's Historic tags (the QQ's), have always been restricted to stock automobiles, 25 years old or older. It's been a while since I put QQ's on anything, but I thought the application asked if there are any modifications to the car.

Two photos of the car must be submitted with the Historic tag application. The State website has sample photos of cars that are and aren't acceptable. Under the acceptable photos is a Javelin with mag wheels on it!

I had QQ's and mags on my 62 for years. I've been stopped twice for my QQ's, but never for the wheels. I've been stopped under the "exhibition and educational use only" classification of the tags. Normally, the officer just wants to look at the car, and telling him your on the way to your mechanic, the gas station or a club function; gets you on your way again.

NJ also has Street Rod tags and Collector Car tags. To get Street Rod tags, the car must have been built before 1949, which leaves out Corvettes. Collector cars are considered "limited production" vehicles 25 years old or less. What Limited production is, isn't specified, but the state will accept a letter from the maker or collector car club, stating it's status as a Collector car. There is nothing about whether modifications are or aren't allowed to qualified collector cars.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:42 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Just take some pics of a stock '69. (I didn't actually type this).

If you go to Trenton, you can get your tags in about 10 minutes.

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Almost like here in Norway when it comes to importing a car 30 years old or older it have to be original

30 year or older cars have almost no import taxes here in this country.
But we do have a lot of strange laws and rules when it comes to cars and bikes

But in the US i thought that you could get license plates on a bath tub with wheels if you want to

Last edited by TheSaint; 06-15-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by nassau66427
Just take some pics of a stock '69. (I didn't actually type this).

If you go to Trenton, you can get your tags in about 10 minutes.

[/QUOTE]

That photo pretty much says it all (I've seen that car at some of the local shows). In NJ most of the cars I see at shows have QQ plates and some are heavily modified but still recognizable as to their original design. Nobody will care if you change the wheels to Cragars for instance or add side pipes or a custom paint job. For those outside NJ, the QQ plates allow us to have FREE annual registration of the car AND NO State Inspection required. It's one of the few perks we have here tax wise. Pilot Dan
Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by gbvette62
.... I've been stopped under the "exhibition and educational use only" classification of the tags. Normally, the officer just wants to look at the car, and telling him your on the way to your mechanic, the gas station or a club function; gets you on your way again.
Which is why I forewent the "antique" Florida tags and run original 1961 Florida tags on the C1. I go anywhere I want, when I want to....
Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

For those outside NJ, the QQ plates allow us to have FREE annual registration of the car AND NO State Inspection required. It's one of the few perks we have here tax wise. Pilot Dan[/QUOTE]

In Washington State, 25 year old cars can run a "Restoration Plate". Basically, find a plate from the year the car was made and it's permanently registered to the car. A one time $50 charge and then no annual tags or renewal fees, ever. No driving restrictions either. You don't even have to run a front plate. I have them on all 3 of my toys.

Jim
Old 06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
1Sweet66
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We here in NC have a similar registration requirements.
I think the car needs to be 25 yrs or older and you can get "antique vehicle" tags. In the county that I live in my vehicle property tax went to $0.00! Plus no annual inspections!
They also allow you to use "year of manufacture" plates so most of us run the year plates on our cars. Rears only in NC.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Sweet66
We here in NC have a similar registration requirements.
I think the car needs to be 25 yrs or older and you can get "antique vehicle" tags. In the county that I live in my vehicle property tax went to $0.00! Plus no annual inspections!
NJ's "Historic" tags have a one time fee of $44 and must be renewed every 3 years, but there is no charge for renewing them. We don't have a personal property tax in NJ (it's about the only tax we don't), so that's not an issue for us.

They also allow you to use "year of manufacture" plates so most of us run the year plates on our cars. Rears only in NC.
NJ allows using year of manufacture tags too, but the State stopped using dated tags in the early 50's, so it doesn't do Corvette owners much good. Cars with QQ tags are exempt from using a front tag though.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

They have NCRS guys working at the NJDMV?
Do they check the trim tag?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 567 Likes on 305 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Only in what used to be America!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbird
Only in what used to be America!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Rando1
Instructor

Thanks everybody! they just started inforcing the QQ "stock" thing in the last couple years,i was there 3 0r 4 years ago and no problem with on of my custom cars,but now it has changed for the worse!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Blackfoot Big Block
Intermediate

I don't get the OP's beef...

The state of New Jersey has a provision in their vehicle registration laws that essentially is a tax break for people who have historic vehicles. They then go on to define what "historic" means. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

The OP freely admits his vehicle is heavily altered and therefore does not meet the criteria established by the state. So his complaint seems to be "...but they didn't enforce the rules before..."

Imagine you live in a town in which the speed limit is very low on a particular road and many people exceed the speed limit. The police department doesn't enforce the speed limit aggressively. A new chief takes over and decides to enforce the existing law. "But officer I've speeded on this road for years..."

How far is that line of reasoning going to go with a judge?

Get notified of new replies

To QQ plates for customs in NJ a sad day!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: QQ plates for customs in NJ a sad day!