C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tubbing a C2 Rear - Top Clearance Issue

Old 06-27-2011, 03:23 PM
ACKvette63
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tubbing a C2 Rear - Top Clearance Issue

My dad and I are about to begin a process to bring back a '63 C2 Roadster back from a 36-year retirement... with a resto-mod approach.

We're looking to have go the custom frame... C4 suspension... approach and would like to "tub" the back end and have the rails narrowed to allow for C5/C6 size rubber to be run in the rear...

After taking a look at the convertible top frame it looks like we'll have some serious clearance issues with the collapsed top vs. the deck cover vs. tubs... I know it probably won't be simple, but I'm interested to see if/how anyone has overcome this (without widening the fenders!)

Thanks - Ben
Old 06-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use a hardtop?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM
silvercamaro
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's start with this, what size tire are you planning on?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM
ACKvette63
Heel & Toe

Ha - we've considered that approach (and do have a HT) and the idea of just taking the soft top out... but it kinda defeats the idea of having a real "Driver" of a C2.

Especially with PA's constant summer weather forcast of "...30% chance of showers..."
Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

If you're talking SRIII frame, talk to 1CoolC2 (Jeff).. I don't think the soft top fits..
Old 06-27-2011, 04:28 PM
ACKvette63
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by silvercamaro
Let's start with this, what size tire are you planning on?
This is yet to be decided. (and I know it must be decided prior to exact mods)

I'd like to have the capability of running stock, or stock compatable wheels from a C5/C6... I want to avoid the need for any custom offset rims.

At the very least we'd like to run what's on the '93 donor car which are... 275/xx/17's rear and 245/xx/17's front... I'd love to run staggared 18's/17's but I'm open to suggestions/warnings...
Old 06-27-2011, 04:35 PM
silvercamaro
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ACKvette63
This is yet to be decided. (and I know it must be decided prior to exact mods)

I'd like to have the capability of running stock, or stock compatable wheels from a C5/C6... I want to avoid the need for any custom offset rims.

At the very least we'd like to run what's on the '93 donor car which are... 275/xx/17's rear and 245/xx/17's front... I'd love to run staggared 18's/17's but I'm open to suggestions/warnings...
A good size for a rear tire would be like a 295/35R18 which is similiar to some C5/C6 cars. Those have about a 12" sidewall width.

Now, on a C2, you'll need a 65" outer bulge width at the tires (assuming it's not stupid low). Factor in the size the 295's and a minimum of 1" of clearance to the frame, you'll end up with a 39" outer frame width (stock is roughly 45"). So, you'll have to narrow the frame 3" per side to get the clearance you need for *just* a 295mm rear tire. If it were me, I'd make the car a true roadster and forget about the convertable top.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:45 PM
ACKvette63
Heel & Toe

Before I say anything else... YOU GUYS ROCK!

It's very reassuring to have immediate responses and input from you guys... I just wanted to say that before I get any further along on this thread... I'm a newbie - so THANK YOU in advance for the help...

Also - I tried to post a photo of our starting point under my profile if you're interested... please take a look...
Old 06-27-2011, 06:05 PM
jjtoma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tubs for tops

Take a look at my website. Step by step photos. A very tight fit, but will work. Not for faint of heart!

Jim

http://www.64corvetteroadster.com/
Old 06-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjtoma
Take a look at my website. Step by step photos. A very tight fit, but will work. Not for faint of heart!

Jim

Another person to possibly contact is Poorhouse Next, he has a 66 restomod vert that has some decent rubber on the back I think.

Also John McGraw.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:26 PM
SLO 65
Instructor

This car has 325R19's, is stupid low, and "appears" to have a working top.

http://web.mac.com/hedgesspeedshop/H..._Corvette.html
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

if it is just about rubber on the back, i have 295/50/15 on the rear of mine with a stock frame. double offset trailing arms and 1" wider gtscustoms rear fenders were used, plus custom wheels (15x10 w/5" b.s.)

but i think you asked about using late model vette wheels, which have a lot more backspacing.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

It can be done, but it's a tight fit. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE PADS AND TOP MATERIAL ON THE FRAME WHEN YOU FIT IT FOR CLEARANCE. We almost didn't get the top lid to close on Jim Toma's car after the top canvas/stayfast was installed. You will add almost 2" to the collapsed bare frame with the material installed.

Mike Coletta
Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 AM
ACKvette63
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jjtoma

Jim

Kudos on one beautiful ride Jim... What fun would there be if this were easy right?! I see that you notched out just a bit for the top bow to set into the wheel wells... nice touch. Any issues with full compression of the tires hitting this notch?

We don't want to do any external mods... although I have to say... the 1" wider fenders do look NASTY!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:09 AM
ACKvette63
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 61retro
It can be done, but it's a tight fit. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE PADS AND TOP MATERIAL ON THE FRAME WHEN YOU FIT IT FOR CLEARANCE. We almost didn't get the top lid to close on Jim Toma's car after the top canvas/stayfast was installed. You will add almost 2" to the collapsed bare frame with the material installed.

Mike Coletta
Luckily... This is as real of a "barn-find" (even if it was in our family the entire time) as you get and there's an OLD Soft-top complete with mouse nests that will work perfectly for test fitting things without worrying about damaging the material...

I figure a tight fit = less rattles so this is probably a good thing right?!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:25 PM
jjtoma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Kudos on one beautiful ride Jim... What fun would there be if this were easy right?! I see that you notched out just a bit for the top bow to set into the wheel wells... nice touch. Any issues with full compression of the tires hitting this notch?

We don't want to do any external mods... although I have to say... the 1" wider fenders do look NASTY!
This is a understatement, everything is very, very close. It's give and take. Top notches are about 2-21/2 inches deep. You have to bottom out your rear suspension travel first. Then go from there. Mike is right about having the final top. I started with the original(thinner than canvas top). When he installed the canvas, it was a extremely tight fit that needed pressure to close deck lid(no rattles). The rear tires are 27.2" diameter. I set the car up with 2 3/4" clearance under the notches (C6 suspension). Trial & error by test driving gave the final ride height. IMHO, this is not for beginners(I built and raced in NHRA pro stock a long time ago, gave me insight of what was needed).

Jim

Last edited by jjtoma; 06-28-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach Dude
Another person to possibly contact is Poorhouse Next, he has a 66 restomod vert that has some decent rubber on the back I think.

Also John McGraw.
Poorhouse's 66 only has 245/45/17 tires on front and rear, stock body, no fender mods or frame mods, C4 suspension.

Get notified of new replies

To Tubbing a C2 Rear - Top Clearance Issue

Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I figure a tight fit = less rattles so this is probably a good thing right?!
except for damage to the back window...... right
Old 06-29-2011, 09:59 AM
ACKvette63
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Poorhouse's 66 only has 245/45/17 tires on front and rear, stock body, no fender mods or frame mods, C4 suspension.
So I was asked yesterday... do we really "need" to tub and run bigger tires... and of course the honest answer is "no" and 245/45/17's will give a MUCH improved look and feel from the original pizza cutters.

This may be the route we take to keep things a bit more simple and make sure we have use of the top without the addition of a project on a project... as most of you understand, I'm sure, is once I get an idea in my head it's hard to shake... and a challenge is hard to walk away from...

If you don't mind... What for wheels/offsets are you running Poorhouse? ...and what is the distance from wheel mounting surfaces side-side?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

So I was asked yesterday... do we really "need" to tub and run bigger tires... and of course the honest answer is "no" and 245/45/17's will give a MUCH improved look and feel from the original pizza cutters.

This may be the route we take to keep things a bit more simple and make sure we have use of the top without the addition of a project on a project... as most of you understand, I'm sure, is once I get an idea in my head it's hard to shake... and a challenge is hard to walk away from...

If you don't mind... What for wheels/offsets are you running Poorhouse? ...and what is the distance from wheel mounting surfaces side-side?
I'm running 8x17" cheap aftermarket knockoffs of Z06 wheels I ordered with chassis. I think BS is 4.75" or 5.0".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tubbing a C2 Rear - Top Clearance Issue