C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Generator pulley does not line up

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 PM
jtiernan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Generator pulley does not line up

I had my 61 vette engine detailed last fall and I noticed today the gen. pulley does not line up with the other two pullies. It recessed about a half inch or so toward the engine firewall. It would seem that it would bind the belt etc. Is this a problem and how can I correct so it lines up even with pump and main crank pulley? Thanks. Joe
Old 07-10-2011, 09:10 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes, that's a problem. All three pulleys should line up. You'll throw the belt at high rpms. If you're going to drive this car before you fix it, carry a spare belt and a 1/2" wrench for the adjusting bolt.

Hard to tell without seeing the car. But I'd bet the generator was put on the support incorrectly, or the support is the wrong one. Look in the AIM to see how the generator and those brackets and supports are mounted.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good catch. Half inch sounds like the distance created by having it on the wrong side of a bracket. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:09 PM
jtiernan
Cruising

Thanks for the fast response. I will check to see if the mount braket is correct.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 PM
jtiernan
Cruising

You were right on with the bracket. The guy that did the engine detail put the generator support braket on backwards. I should have known as other components were not put back together correctly. Thanks. Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Generator pulley does not line up

Quick Reply: Generator pulley does not line up