C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 LSx Non-Sidepipe Custom Stainless Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default C2 LSx Non-Sidepipe Custom Stainless Headers

Hello Everyone,

First off, I've been a member for a long time, but just haven't done much posting...

I'm building a LS3/TKO600/Street Shop Chassis 1963 Roadster...

Currently I'm in the process of manufacturing custom stainless headers and I had a few goals:

1. Full length as possible
2. Maximum ground clearance
3. Mechanical clutch linkage acceptable
4. Non-sidepipe application

Personally I'll be running 3 inch all the way back, using oval pipe right after the first cross-member, so I'm having the headers made to include that piping as part of the header itself (shown mocked-up in the attached picture)...

I did use 5/8" body spacers for a little extra clearance of a few things, including the exhaust -- keep in mind I have no shims at all, just the 5/8" spacer, so I'm probably not a true 5/8" above stock, as most would have some shims...

I can't make any promises, but the headers and car are still in the hands of the guys making the headers, if anyone is interested I would/could ask them to make sure they have all the information they need for duplication, but they probably won't waist time unless there is some serious interest in more sets...

These are extrememly well made headers, very popular manufacturer...

Here's one pic of things mocked up...

Thanks,
Rich

Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 151 Posts

Good call on stainless - no rust. They'll sound nice with 3".
Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Very nice!
Old 07-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

I didn't have the luxury of being able to tuck exhaust tight to trans an use tunnel to get ground clearance back to transmission cross-member before going oval. I had to transition to 3.0" oval at firewall on the my 64 coup build and same will have to happen on my 66 due to using 6 speed automatics in both.

The 3.0" oval gives great ground clearance at rear end, better than 2.5" round pipe. While the 64's exhaust exits in center of body, the 66 will exit in stock locations, and like the 64 will transition back to 3.0" round right aft of rear end. Just using horizontal transition or one and vertical on the other. Both cars have Street Shops chassis.

64's exhaust at rear end

Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Rzepka_r
Hello Everyone,

First off, I've been a member for a long time, but just haven't done much posting...

I'm building a LS3/TKO600/Street Shop Chassis 1963 Roadster...

Currently I'm in the process of manufacturing custom stainless headers and I had a few goals:

1. Full length as possible
2. Maximum ground clearance
3. Mechanical clutch linkage acceptable
4. Non-sidepipe application

Personally I'll be running 3 inch all the way back, using oval pipe right after the first cross-member, so I'm having the headers made to include that piping as part of the header itself (shown mocked-up in the attached picture)...

I did use 5/8" body spacers for a little extra clearance of a few things, including the exhaust -- keep in mind I have no shims at all, just the 5/8" spacer, so I'm probably not a true 5/8" above stock, as most would have some shims...

I can't make any promises, but the headers and car are still in the hands of the guys making the headers, if anyone is interested I would/could ask them to make sure they have all the information they need for duplication, but they probably won't waist time unless there is some serious interest in more sets...

These are extrememly well made headers, very popular manufacturer...

Here's one pic of things mocked up...

Thanks,
Rich

Rich,

I keep looking at the header clearance to motor mounts and then the fact you say you are going to extend the header collector piping through the cross-member.

It looks to me from your picture that you don't have the foreword to aft clearance needed to install or remove the header. Doesn't look like you can slide the header forward enough to get pipe in or out of transmission cross-member.

Looks like you will need to cut pipe and use a slip joint to join the two together and slide pipe through the cross-member from the rear.

But I may not be able to see that you have the clearance to do it from picture.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Jere,

First, loved seeing the pictures/posts of your builds...

Yes, we wanted to make sure things were straight/aligned and also take a shot at if you could pull the header back/rotate/forward/etc while on a lift, but most likely we will have a connection before the cross-member as you noted...

From that connection point I'll continue with 3" round, through the cross-member, "S" the one side slightly to center with the body/rear chassis hump and transition to the oval as it passes along the deeper, early 1963 only, seat depresions...

Although not related to the headers, I haven't seen anyone use Wegner Motorsports accesory drive kits on any builds that I noticed yet - it really is a well made set-up for a good price..

Thanks,
Rich

Old 03-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Kevins64
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mounts and Custom Headers

Rich,
Setup looks good to me, did you consider adding x pipe to exhaust? I started my 64 Corvette coupe frame off restomod LS3/T56 project in hopes of finding the right motor mounts and stainless steel long tube headers that work together. Which motor adapter plates and motor mounts are you using with your custom headers? I’m very interested in more information.
Kevin

Last edited by Kevins64; 03-18-2018 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Edit

Get notified of new replies

To C2 LSx Non-Sidepipe Custom Stainless Headers

Quick Reply: C2 LSx Non-Sidepipe Custom Stainless Headers