C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ground Strap on Accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:54 PM
tbiga
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground Strap on Accelerator

On my 65, the ground strap on the accelerator has broken. Its mostly attached to the accelerator but I'm not seeing where the other end has broken from. Any one know where it supposed to be attached?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm nearly positive it goes to the rearmost intake manifold bolt. Mine had frayed off, and there was still a lug with a bit of copper groundstrap attached to it at that bolt.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Jim_C
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

tbiga
Correct, rear manifold bolt.
CUL Jim

Last edited by Jim_C; 11-12-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_C
tbiga
Correct, rear manifold bolt.

Correct, except the strap and the bolt go on the outside of the accelerator lever.

Jim
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 PM
tbiga
Intermediate

Thank you that helps a great deal. When i got the car the engine was out of it, I've been looking all over the firewall with no luck. Now i know why.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tbiga
Thank you that helps a great deal. When i got the car the engine was out of it, I've been looking all over the firewall with no luck. Now i know why.
Steel cars ground to the firewall, corvettes - not so much.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Steel cars ground to the firewall, corvettes - not so much.

Tom Parsons
Old 07-26-2011, 10:43 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 251 Posts

So, what exactly are we grounding this for?? Is it another RF interference ground? Thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 12:50 AM
tbiga
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
So, what exactly are we grounding this for?? Is it another RF interference ground? Thanks
The easy answer is I'm chasing gremlins.

The long answer is almost impossible to explain without leaving people scratching their heads. It all started with me thinking my wiper motor was bad, but by adding a test/extra ground wire the wiper motor works fine. Knowing that ground strap was broken was a hopeful easy fix.

The crazy thing has turned out to be that if I connect my test light to a ground, and touch the wiper motor housing the wiper motor is hot. But not to get to far ahead of myself as I still need to do some investigating before I ask, but it appears that there is a single plug connector on the lower part of the wiper motor that I "think" (i'll be hoest i'm not 100% sure what it is for) is supposed to be a ground but the wire connected to it was a hot wire. I also need to determine what exactly the 2 prong/plug connect wire are hot and ground two hots, two ground etc.. (i'm not electronics expert)

While I'm typing all this I'll ask. The wiper switch in the dash as 3 prongs, but on mine, only two are connected by a double plug the 3rd single prong has nothing connected to it. Is that correct or is there supposed to be something connected to the single.

Hopefully, that didn't leave everyone scratching their heads.

It's all new to me and I'm just trying to take my time and figure out whats amiss. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

Default Third Prong on Wiper Switch

Two prongs go to the wiper motor to control speed. Third prong is for the washer pump and I think it has a separate connector. Look for a single connector with a dark blue wire hanging around. That should be the pump wire.

To be honest I haven't played with my wiper motor (it's CA and I don't drive it in the rain). But looking at the schematic, the wiper motor gets power and then looks for a combination of grounds from the wiper switch to control the speed. No grounds - Off, both wires grounded - lo speed, the black/light blue wire grounded and the other open - hi speed.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The crazy thing has turned out to be that if I connect my test light to a ground, and touch the wiper motor housing the wiper motor is hot. But not to get to far ahead of myself as I still need to do some investigating before I ask, but it appears that there is a single plug connector on the lower part of the wiper motor that I "think" (i'll be hoest i'm not 100% sure what it is for) is supposed to be a ground but the wire connected to it was a hot wire. I also need to determine what exactly the 2 prong/plug connect wire are hot and ground two hots, two ground etc..
The wiper motor housing being "hot" is usually the result of having the starter harness ground wire connected to the battery cable stud on the starter solenoid instead of being under the head of the outboard starter-to-block bolt. There are two black wires with large ring terminals on them coming out of the bottom end of the starter harness on a '65; one is 18-ga. black (sense wire for the battery gauge), and it goes on the big battery cable stud on the solenoid. The other one is 14-ga. black, and its ring terminal goes under the head of the outboard starter bolt - it's the ground for the heater blower and wiper motor. The holes in the ring terminals are the same size, and if the 14-ga. black one winds up on the big battery cable stud, it puts 12 volts on the heater blower ground spade and on the wiper motor housing ground spade. See photo below - the wiper motor housing ground male spade terminal is adjacent to the 3-wire terminal board connection.

The main connection at the wiper motor has three wires - the center one is brown (12V to the motor), and the end ones (yellow, and black/light blue) are motor field grounds. The washer pump wires are brown (12V) and dark blue (ground from switch).

Great diagram below (from Buns) shows how the wiper and washer circuits work.
Attached Images   
Old 07-27-2011, 01:39 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 251 Posts

The easy answer is I'm chasing gremlins.
Well, I meant, why did the factory ground the accelerator! I do know where you are comming from though, my clock ground terminal had the hot wire on it. It led to a small fire works display.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:28 PM
tbiga
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JohnZ

Great diagram below (from Buns) shows how the wiper and washer circuits work.
JohnZ thank you very much for all that great info. That will be more than helpful in solving my problem.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:47 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Great picture and diagram JohnZ
Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Great picture and diagram JohnZ
Here's another one.
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Anyone know?

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
Anyone got an answer to the question?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteJohn
Anyone got an answer to the question?

Inquiring minds want to know!
I'll take a guess, if nothing else it hopefully will elicite a correction.

I suspect that as the gas pedal moves on the throttle rod, it creates static electricity which is otherwise isolated from the chassis due to the nylon fittings on either end of the accelerator linkage.

The ground strap at the linkage would allow that static to discharge, preventing the AM radio from making static popping noises.

Get notified of new replies

To Ground Strap on Accelerator

Quick Reply: Ground Strap on Accelerator