C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Carlisle Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Carlisle Questions

This is my first trip to Corvettes at Carlisle since I live on the Left Coast. I will be there for two days. Are there any two days that you would choose out of Thurs-Sun if you were only going to be there for 2 and also I see a lot of different for pay events going on over the event. What are the must things to see while there. Any opinions from the folks that attend each year would be appreciated.

Don
Old 07-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

I like Thur and Fri best. They're all good though. Lance does a good job.

It all depends on what you're going there for. If you want to see the cars, Fri and Sat. If you want parts, Thur and Fri. Most vendors are setup by the end of the day on Thurs. Best deals are on thur and Fri. Late Sun is a good time to pick up a car.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 07-28-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:47 PM
bbxlr8
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Been going for many years - I would advise Fri & Sat. Thur is still some set-up and Sun is winding down (some leave early). Sat is usually biggest day including parade (crowds) etc. but it's ALL good!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:57 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Friday a must!

I've been going for more years than I should probably admit and Friday is the best day in my book. Here's my take: Thursday - crowds are lite but many vendors have not completely set up shop, best day if looking for hard to find used or NOS parts, good day to get pictures of Chip's Choice, not many show cars in place.; Friday - big crowds, all vendors are in place and ready to go, Show cars and fun field full; Saturday - again big crowds (Friday and Saturday about the same), used & NOS stuff picked over, fun field and show field full; Sunday - small crowds, everything pretty picked over, many vendors either gone or packing up. Many of the cars that were on display are gone.

One thing that's the same every year, the heat. Come ready for mid to upper 90s with a ton of humdity. Drink plenty of liquids, wear a hat, wear GOOD shoes since we'll end up walking several miles in two days.

Oh yea, it's a blast, be prepared to have a great time.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:20 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me Friday & Saturday are the 2 best days.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:22 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say Friday and Saturday as well, and some good advise from VetteJohn, hot and humid, be prepared.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Roeich
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

We go Fri & Sat
Old 07-28-2011, 05:12 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Excellent information, thanks. It's funny but my thought was also Friday and Saturday so I guess that is what it will be. I am bringing my older brother, who has a C3, and two nephews, one a dentist heavily into C2's but doesn't have one yet and the other is a CPA and is more into Porches but I'll let him come anyway. Thanks again for responding.

Don
Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

I have to agree with the consensus here, Friday & Saturday are your best bets. That is unless your looking for some super rare part, then like VetteJohn said, you should be there on Thursday.

Most vendors are pretty much set up by Thursday afternoon, and many are gone by Saturday night. The NCRS and Chips Choice displays will be set up by Friday morning as will the car corral. By Saturday morning, all of the entrants will be on the show field, for the Fun Display. All of this makes Friday & Saturday your best bets!

I go out to vend, so I'll be there Wednesday afternoon, and stay through Sunday. Fortunately, I'm only about 2 1/2-3 hours away. Stop by and say hi, you'll find me on A row, spaces 19-23, odds are pretty good that I'll have some assorted cold "beverages" on hand.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

fir and sat is the time to go. unless you want a rare part or try and get a good deal on a car then Thursday is the day to go. sun is really a waist of time. but my dad and I still go seeing how when you get in the fun field you get in all the days.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I have to agree with the consensus here, Friday & Saturday are your best bets. That is unless your looking for some super rare part, then like VetteJohn said, you should be there on Thursday.

Most vendors are pretty much set up by Thursday afternoon, and many are gone by Saturday night. The NCRS and Chips Choice displays will be set up by Friday morning as will the car corral. By Saturday morning, all of the entrants will be on the show field, for the Fun Display. All of this makes Friday & Saturday your best bets!

I go out to vend, so I'll be there Wednesday afternoon, and stay through Sunday. Fortunately, I'm only about 2 1/2-3 hours away. Stop by and say hi, you'll find me on A row, spaces 19-23, odds are pretty good that I'll have some assorted cold "beverages" on hand.
Thanks Glen, I'll look you up!!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I noticed some people leave early on Saturday depending upon how far they live. For instance, one group was from Alabama and they left early since it took all day sunday to drive back. Also, check for the weather. In 2007, it was really bad weatherwise.

Being a western you are going to be amazed!

Also, leave your horse and your dog at home. Make sure to bring comfortable shoes and clean underwear. Make sure to bring a backpack with some water and sunscreen. A hat preferably. Remember you will see even the kitchen sink for sale. notepad and pen to write down the locations for parts you might want to buy. Plus, you can always call afterwards if you get a contact and see about getting a better deal.

Get the breakfast sandwich at the consessions.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 07-28-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:32 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
I noticed some people leave early on Saturday depending upon how far they live. For instance, one group was from Alabama and they left early since it took all day sunday to drive back. Also, check for the weather. In 2007, it was really bad weatherwise.

Being a western you are going to be amazed!

Also, leave your horse and your dog at home. Make sure to bring comfortable shoes and clean underwear. Make sure to bring a backpack with some water and sunscreen. A hat preferably. Remember you will see even the kitchen sink for sale. notepad and pen to write down the locations for parts you might want to buy. Plus, you can always call afterwards if you get a contact and see about getting a better deal.

Thanks Jim for the tips. I am used to how crazy the weather can be, I spent the first half of my life in Jersey! Oh I haven't quite figured out the need for the clean underwear....
Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,888 Likes on 795 Posts

A group of us go every year from way down here in East Tennessee. You want to get to the gate by 8am on Friday, spend the day....by 4pm you will be bushed and ready to go take a shower at the hotel and then get a nice dinner somewhere. Saturday morning, get there by 8am also....we stay till 12 noon, by then its packed, hot and we are super tired. We head out from there. Enjoy! Dress for hot weather (usually is), straw hat and sun screen!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:17 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thvet
Thanks Glen, I'll look you up!!
Yea, me too! I always like a cold one Glen.....

5thvet, you will love the show and have a great trip! I'm only a little over an hour away so we be spoiled
Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Mike Terry and I will be in spaces M153-M155. Stop by and have a meet and drink. We'll have cold beverages of all kinds, including adult beverages.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:36 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
Mike Terry and I will be in spaces M153-M155. Stop by and have a meet and drink. We'll have cold beverages of all kinds, including adult beverages.
Absolutely!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Carlisle Questions

Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Yeah stop in and say Hi and if we run out of drinks we will get more.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 PM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 151 Posts

I go on Thursday's because I feel less rushed. Car Coral is fun. I like seeing what's for sale. You can't go wrong regardless of what day you go. It's all good. I start my shopping list months in advance. Helps keep me on task.

Kevin
Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
If you have been to Carlisle yet this year, things have changed. The long time food vendor has been replaced, apparently there was a "falling out" between Carlisle and the vendor, over the winter. At Spring Carlisle, they were selling pre-made "Jimmy Dean" breakfast sandwiches, and the made to order, breakfast platters, were gone completely.

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
Yea, me too! I always like a cold one Glen.....
Well you know were I'm at now, so stop by!

Quick Reply: Carlisle Questions