C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My car is all original....Ahhh yeah right..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe's 62
I just got my 62' 8 days ago. I drove a 62 for 9 years in the 70's.
took me 30 years to get another one......snip.......
damn.....u beat me by 15 yrs
Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Joe's 62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Collin
Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Thomas66
Racer

Originally Posted by EBVette
Why go to car shows, then complain about it. I go to a show, if I don't like what is going on, I leave, and don't go to that show again. Why do I go to shows? Because I own a nice car and like to share it with people who enjoy seeing and talking about cars. I could care less about a "Trophey", avoid talking to people whose Dad owns a 1958 Split Window, and answer questions honestly and if I don't know the answer, I say, "I don't know." Its not a complicated thing. To me the drive to and from is more than half the fun. For example, Saturday evening last, I intended to go to a local cruise night, only to find nobody there, so I decided to drive out to one that I very rarely go to because its about 40 miles away. It was the DRIVE that was the best part, and when I parked, I recieved many compliments on the car, and accepted them graciously, but you know the best part, I sat and talked to a couple of guys about older cars that you rarely see anymore, and had a great time. None of us acted like authorities of SME about muscle cars, simply expressed what we thought, our likes and dislikes. Nobody was right or wrong, it made for a GOOD CONVERSATION with another person with common interests. So many times we forget, the best time are when we SHARE with others and simply forget about the ones that make "KNOW IT ALL COMMENTS", simply walk away, enjoy life, its too short to begin with.

By the way, I drove home and it was delightful, really enjoyed the unplanned evening, and God knows with my job lately, I need this, all of it. OH, one other thing, having a SWC you don't know how many people, stand there, staring at it, shaking there head, and saying, "This is my favorite Corvette, and you never see these anymore. I only wish I could go back in time and buy one, I would have it today." This kind of makes you proud and special in a way. I don't own very much, but I do own this SWC, and feel so lucky that I was able to purchase and restore this car, as I know MANY out there are not as lucky as I have been, and WE ARE to own these special cars. So next time you go to a cruise or show, try a new way to look at things, people are people, but you happen to be one of the lucky ones who has the knowledge, understands the history, and most of all, fortunate enough to own a C1 or C2. Consider yourself LUCKY, as many more WISH they owned one. Mellow OUT and Enjoy....
Well said!

7-8 years ago I was looking at a nice P51-D at Oshkosh. The prop was an Aeropoducts (K Model). I asked about the prop and was quickly abmonished. Turns out that his mother worked in the Aeroproducts plant during the war. That was my bad and I wished that I had kept my mouth shut. If it wasn't for those that are fortunate to have machines that are of so much interest to so many, only museums would have them and we would never be able to hear the noise that they make. I can't afford one of the main-gears on a Mustang, but I do have a C2 to share. For that I am thankful.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas66
.........snip.......7-8 years ago I was looking at a nice P51-D at Oshkosh. The prop was an Aeropoducts (K Model). I asked about the prop and was quickly abmonished. Turns out that his mother worked in the Aeroproducts plant during the war. That was my bad and I wished that I had kept my mouth shut.......snip....
Old 08-25-2011, 09:10 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
I think you are an optimist

How many 40 to 50 year old virgins are there anywhere?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Thomas66
Racer

Originally Posted by Willie'sVette
Sorry Willie.
There are a number of War Bird enthusiasts on this forum that I knew would understand the prop thing.
The P-51D was built in Las Angeles and was equipped with a Hamilton Standard Propeller.
The P-51K was the same aircraft only it was build in Dallas and it was equipped with an Aero Products propeller.
This owner had a “D” model with a “K” model propeller. Kind of like having side pipes on a C2 built by A. O. Smith. The main thing I learned is that it is up to the owner to do what ever he/she chooses. And it matters not what others know, or believe that they know.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Well, what do you mean by virgin?

Original paint, tires and air cleaner element?

My '72, after very careful inspection, has never has the slightest body repair, not even minor fender lip repair, and has all the original from the factory components (not restamps or ebay collected stuff ,unless some one was real good about getting all the dates within 2 weeks of car assembly date) except the starter and carb, but it was recently repainted in the original color and reupholstered in the original interior color.

My '61, OTOH had the same wheelie bar bracket thing, missing motor, etc, when i bought it 37 years ago.

Doug
Ok Doug

"Virgin" Means it not been "banged up" (hit)...
Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas66
Well said!

7-8 years ago I was looking at a nice P51-D at Oshkosh. The prop was an Aeropoducts (K Model). I asked about the prop and was quickly abmonished. Turns out that his mother worked in the Aeroproducts plant during the war. That was my bad and I wished that I had kept my mouth shut. If it wasn't for those that are fortunate to have machines that are of so much interest to so many, only museums would have them and we would never be able to hear the noise that they make. I can't afford one of the main-gears on a Mustang, but I do have a C2 to share. For that I am thankful.
Thomas, I totally admire your taste in Mustangs..........However, at 150 gallons/hour, We will have to share our obsession with Mustangs.....with each other...Wanna go halves with me
Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Lots of those same "A" holes right here on this forum.

Sorry its and opinion...Yeah you are right..I read alot of people comments on this forum..Some are down right CRUEL...When giving and NEGATIVE and **** opinion about someone pride and joy..I always feel sorry for that person who worked hard on thier car to hear such B.S...With that being said!! No NOT EVRERYONE WHO owns a Corvette is and A hole..However, thats why I only go to ONE Corvette event.. "Toys for Tots" I dont mind donating to people less fortunate then me..Trust me gentleman... I am better off than alot of people right now..I am grateful I have a job...I will always be blue collar by choice.. If I sound ungrateful I am not!!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Why go to car shows, then complain about it. I go to a show, if I don't like what is going on, I leave, and don't go to that show again. Why do I go to shows? Because I own a nice car and like to share it with people who enjoy seeing and talking about cars. I could care less about a "Trophey", avoid talking to people whose Dad owns a 1958 Split Window, and answer questions honestly and if I don't know the answer, I say, "I don't know." Its not a complicated thing. To me the drive to and from is more than half the fun. For example, Saturday evening last, I intended to go to a local cruise night, only to find nobody there, so I decided to drive out to one that I very rarely go to because its about 40 miles away. It was the DRIVE that was the best part, and when I parked, I recieved many compliments on the car, and accepted them graciously, but you know the best part, I sat and talked to a couple of guys about older cars that you rarely see anymore, and had a great time. None of us acted like authorities of SME about muscle cars, simply expressed what we thought, our likes and dislikes. Nobody was right or wrong, it made for a GOOD CONVERSATION with another person with common interests. So many times we forget, the best time are when we SHARE with others and simply forget about the ones that make "KNOW IT ALL COMMENTS", simply walk away, enjoy life, its too short to begin with.

By the way, I drove home and it was delightful, really enjoyed the unplanned evening, and God knows with my job lately, I need this, all of it. OH, one other thing, having a SWC you don't know how many people, stand there, staring at it, shaking there head, and saying, "This is my favorite Corvette, and you never see these anymore. I only wish I could go back in time and buy one, I would have it today." This kind of makes you proud and special in a way. I don't own very much, but I do own this SWC, and feel so lucky that I was able to purchase and restore this car, as I know MANY out there are not as lucky as I have been, and WE ARE to own these special cars. So next time you go to a cruise or show, try a new way to look at things, people are people, but you happen to be one of the lucky ones who has the knowledge, understands the history, and most of all, fortunate enough to own a C1 or C2. Consider yourself LUCKY, as many more WISH they owned one. Mellow OUT and Enjoy....
You right Im not pissed at the world..
Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had anybody pick my car apart for not being original at a car show. Everybody seems to like it. If somebody thought it was no good because it isn't original they never said anything to me about it. So far the folks I've met have been just regular people who like cars and motorcycles. I go to have fun and drive the car someplace with a destination in mind, I don't care about much other than having a good day.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Oh I /SOOOOoooooo agree
Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 PM
jules-57
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Ya, in the C2 I feel fairly immune to the animosity created by the "Vette guy" image.

That image among other things keeps me from later year models.

If not for the C2, I would be in some variant of the Porsche 911.

For me the C2 route was it. And still is.

I would rather be a "Porsche a##hole" than a "Vette a##hole" (I consider the C2 to be excluded from the above comments).

Porsche attracts a better class of woman.

Mine wouild much rather I be in a Porsche. To bad.

I like this guy.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:34 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Virgin is nice. But nothing beats that nice broken feel!

Are we still talking cars here?

I agree only had one in my life back in high school..over 45 years ago...
Old 08-27-2011, 02:45 AM
Argentimage
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like that stripe color combo on the SWC, got any side & front views?
Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipermike
How many 48 year old virgins do you know?
nun

Quick Reply: My car is all original....Ahhh yeah right..