C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 Clock Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:32 PM
norskbill
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1965 Clock Repair

My dash clock is in amazing shape and actually worked up until a year ago. It now runs intermittently and I would like to get it repaired. Can anyone recommend a repair company who's workmanship you have experience.

Bill
Old 08-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Harrison Speedometer just did my clock and cluster restoration. Top quality work. He will repair your original clock works or convert it to a quartz movement if you wish. Highly recommended by many.

http://harrisonspeedometer.com/

Dennis
Old 08-28-2011, 03:15 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,044 Likes on 575 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Do it yourself, it is easy, pull it out, take the nut off the + terminal, uncrimp the tabs (4), take a finger nail file, file the points, put a very little 3 in 1 oil on gears (none on the main spring) and put it back together, no need to take the face or **** off if you are not restoring the face.
The following users liked this post:
ghec369 (03-13-2020)
Old 08-28-2011, 03:50 PM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck
Harrison Speedometer just did my clock and cluster restoration. Top quality work. He will repair your original clock works or convert it to a quartz movement if you wish. Highly recommended by many.

http://harrisonspeedometer.com/

Dennis
110% Bill will get your clock back to better than new.

Had mine done a couple years ago and it's still working fantastic. He also refurbished it and my cluster with all gauges to perfection.
You won't be disappointed...
RK
Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,044 Likes on 575 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you want to do the quortz movement it works well, but if your car is original and you want to keep it that way, I would not do it. It is easy to detect the change, You can buy the quortz movement kit, it took me about a 1/2 hr to do it for someone and he keep the original movement if he wanted to put it back in.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
Do it yourself, it is easy, pull it out, take the nut off the + terminal, uncrimp the tabs (4), take a finger nail file, file the points, put a very little 3 in 1 oil on gears (none on the main spring) and put it back together, no need to take the face or **** off if you are not restoring the face.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

In my case the clock and its points shorted sometime during its life. My plug was melted and the clock power wires were melted back into the dash harness. It was a surprise to me when I pulled the cluster and clock out. Soooooo the clock needed somebody more qualified than me. My winter project turned into a new dash harness plus cluster/clock restoration.

Dennis
Old 11-07-2015, 01:42 PM
elpasorabo
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clock

Thanks for the suggestions on this thread. I so need to take off the glass and replace mine. I assume the **** is just screw on but I realize it also pulls out in order to adjust the time. So do I just need to hold the stem with some needle nose while I unscrew it? Don't want to mess it up as it does work but the glass has been scratched up.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:54 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by elpasorabo
Thanks for the suggestions on this thread. I so need to take off the glass and replace mine. I assume the **** is just screw on but I realize it also pulls out in order to adjust the time. So do I just need to hold the stem with some needle nose while I unscrew it? Don't want to mess it up as it does work but the glass has been scratched up.
The attached PDF has some info I put together when I got the clock in my '65 running. Still going after 14 years.
Dave Z
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Clock-Repair.pdf (314.2 KB, 938 views)
Old 11-07-2015, 05:09 PM
elpasorabo
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DZVette
The attached PDF has some info I put together when I got the clock in my '65 running. Still going after 14 years.
Dave Z
Most excellent. Thanks, just what I needed!
Old 11-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

It is far to easy to do. You can do it faster than packing it to send away for repair.

http://vettenet.org/midyrclock.html
Old 11-08-2015, 06:56 PM
elpasorabo
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing

It is far to easy to do. You can do it faster than packing it to send away for repair.

http://vettenet.org/midyrclock.html
Thanks
Old 11-11-2015, 09:43 PM
elpasorabo
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Followed all the instructions and it is apart except the glass that I need to replace. Any suggestions on how to remove the glass?

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 Clock Repair

Quick Reply: 1965 Clock Repair