C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

knock off Q

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:30 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

It is my belief (conjecture) they realized their error and didn't want to fess up although I have no proof of that. It is also possible they never realized their error but I find that doubtful.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:43 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by ry57pont
how can the knockoffs come loose when the safety pin is used? I was looking to buy a set of the bolt on ones, but would prefer the "real" style. thanks - Ryan
If you're gonna go with a repro KO style wheel Bolt-On KO wheels is the way to go, IMO. I just installed a set on my car. The bolt-on KO wheels use the same spinner as the repro KO wheels do. The spinner screws on to a special adapter that bolts to the five lug nut mounted KO style wheel.

The completed wheel assembly with spinner and center cap looks really nice - looks like the real thing!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:18 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Easy...if the safety pin is not installed, loose, or, not put in according to instructions, or the wheel isn't tightened up properly it can be disastrous. Just, literally, yesterday a friend drove his '66 big block from the dealer to my house and along the way the right front center cap came off, and lo and behold, there was NO pin in the knock off and I could run the spinner through two full turns before it snugged up...VERY dangerous and my pal dodged a bullet...he had been at 55mph on the Florida turnpike on the way over (see red arrow). If it were me I'd get the "knock-off/bolt-on" repros...I hear they don't come with spinner center pieces but somebody on here made some up themselves that worked.
Driving at highway speed and having the center cap come off and having a loose spinner is almost a guranteed improper installation. That wheel may now have elongated holes in it that could render it much more unsafe even after it is properly installed. It has been said here many times that when they are installed properly they will not come off and no need for any pins. The pins are anti theft pins only
Old 09-16-2011, 06:56 AM
ry57pont
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stingrayl76
Frank, Bill and Friend,
Since that wheel came loose, installing a pin is not addressing the issue of the spinner loosening. Something caused it to loosen. Suggest to you friend that he should pull that front wheel off and inspect it very closely for any damage. Is he using the long lug nuts to fasten the adapter to the hub? If not the wheel can be improperly indexed on the adapter and spinner loosening is almost guaranteed. Also make sure he is using a lead hammer that is at least 5 pounds. Oh, and if it were my car, I would check the other 3 wheels. Glad that thing didn't come off!
Dave
ok help a newbie out here. what is the importance of the long lug nut and how does this make it possible or not possible to index?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by deejaydu
Driving at highway speed and having the center cap come off and having a loose spinner is almost a guranteed improper installation. That wheel may now have elongated holes in it that could render it much more unsafe even after it is properly installed. It has been said here many times that when they are installed properly they will not come off and no need for any pins. The pins are anti theft pins only
Its up to the owner to confront the dealer on the installation issue; I have my own opinions but no "dog in the fight". I don't see the pins as having a thing to do with anti-theft -- the wheels are removed by a thief the same way an owner would remove them to change a flat, etc. -- so what is the deterrent ? The only anti-theft aspect is that the wheels are repros and not $12,000 originals...

That fact that something has been said many times doesn't make it true...I've heard people state quite often that Elvis is still alive. A similar logic would be, "if plain 'ole spin-ons are so safe why haven't the pin/bolt-on vendors gone out of business?"

I wouldn't drive a car with knock-offs that weren't pinned or better yet bolt-ons unless it was on and off a trailer for judging. Just like I wouldn't own a C1 without the additional fusing to prevent electrical fires -- even though the cars were deemed "safe" by GM and have been driven many trouble-free miles throughout history. I worked around fighter aircraft for many years, safety and redundancy get big points with me.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-16-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by K2
It is my belief (conjecture) they realized their error and didn't want to fess up although I have no proof of that. It is also possible they never realized their error but I find that doubtful.
Winged, pointed projectiles had to be removed from all passenger car fenders, hoods and wheels sold in the US in 1967 per Uncle Sam. That was to protect pedestrians in the event of a collision with a car. That is why the design changed to BO wheels in '67,

GM, not realizing they had "erred in their design" of the KO wheel () even went so far as to release a service part nut to hold the early KO wheels on as a replacement to the spinner. Just a nut, no spinners and a wrench that fit the nut. That got rid of the spinner but it didn't do anything to keep the wheel from being mounted wrong.

They even took the spinners off the snap on hubcaps. Kept the same caps, just put a round spinner on it.

Last edited by MikeM; 09-16-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ry57pont
ok help a newbie out here. what is the importance of the long lug nut and how does this make it possible or not possible to index?
If you use the short(standard) lug nuts, you can install the wheel on the lug nuts instead of on the adaptor drive pins. With the long lug nuts, if you try to install the wheel wrong, it spaces the wheel out far enough, you can't thread the spinner on the adaptor.

Using the short lug nuts, the wheel will not seat on the adaptor and will rock around while you're trying to tighten the spinner, which by the way will only go on a couple turns. It is my sincere opinion that ANYONE that puts a wheel on over the lug nuts instead of the adaptor drive pins and doesn't realize something is wrong should not be allowed within 50 feet of a locked toolbox.

As a testament to what I'm saying, jack up your car and put the wheel on wrong and then do it right. You'll get the idea.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:22 AM
leaky4150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have western knock off's on my 66 use long lug nuts to index and beat them on you can hear and feel when tight mark with wide marker 120 degree's around spinner test drive around block usually marks have moved slightly retighten and drive around block. marks on spinner should have not moved had my wheels off few times and no problem with spinner coming loose. I always check marks before and after I take my car out
Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Its up to the owner to confront the dealer on the installation issue; I have my own opinions but no "dog in the fight". I don't see the pins as having a thing to do with anti-theft -- the wheels are removed by a thief the same way an owner would remove them to change a flat, etc. -- so what is the deterrent ? The only anti-theft aspect is that the wheels are repros and not $12,000 originals...

That fact that something has been said many times doesn't make it true...I've heard people state quite often that Elvis is still alive. A similar logic would be, "if plain 'ole spin-ons are so safe why haven't the pin/bolt-on vendors gone out of business?"

I wouldn't drive a car with knock-offs that weren't pinned or better yet bolt-ons unless it was on and off a trailer for judging. Just like I wouldn't own a C1 without the additional fusing to prevent electrical fires -- even though the cars were deemed "safe" by GM and have been driven many trouble-free miles throughout history. I worked around fighter aircraft for many years, safety and redundancy get big points with me.
Hi Frank,

The pins are really useless thief or no thief. The only difference is that when the pins are in there securely it would take a thief too long to try and wrestle them out where an owner with a flat on the side of the road would be forced to get them out to put on a spare. The risk of using the pins is that they can break off and then they have to be drilled out to get the wheel off at all. The pins are a really big hassle with no benefit to holding the wheel on when installed properly and just as big of a hassle to a thief wanting to steal them or to anyone needing to change a flat.

I do not want to call the new owner out by name but I know that he is very excited about his beautiful new 66 BB Coupe and I just do not want to see anything bad happen to it. I know all too well about that tink sound you get when the cap comes off while you are driving and before you know it the wheel is off the car and the damage is done. I also averted the damage to my car when it happened to me but it was scary. My situation was also due to improper installation by the previous owner and when I bought the car I just put it on the road with no concerns. I now know better and will always check them unless I install them. If I install them I rarely check them and have never had another one come loose no matter what speeds the car is being driven at.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I get it completely - after this incident I'm not a fan of the "pins" either...so it would be spin-on/bolt-on repros for me... I really wouldn't want to drive on those "gold-plated" originals in any event...
Old 09-16-2011, 01:58 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

I get it completely - after this incident I'm not a fan of the "pins" either...so it would be spin-on/bolt-on repros for me... I really wouldn't want to drive on those "gold-plated" originals in any event...
Agreed
Old 09-17-2011, 02:33 AM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....just curious about a few things;

1- What exactly would be improper installation?

2- How bout if a damaged wheel was installed?....say a wheel was out of round or had hit a curb too hard, then later used on another car....could it vibrate & dislodge the pin? Could that be the cause of the hubcap coming off that Frank & Bill witnessed?

3-OK....someone came up w/ these pin wheels because they're safer then the OEM knock-offs....how do they accomplish this mission? They certainly aren't meant to prevent the wheel from coming off.....or are they?

Originally Posted by wmf62
...snip.. they would probably ban me from the forum ..snip...
Aren't u the guy in class who was always sent to the VPs office?....u know...for things like wearing shorts in class or wearing his T shirt inside out....

...snip.... yesterday a friend drove his '66 big block from the dealer to my house...
man...that's one bit_'n vette, looking mean....u'r right... it could use a new cap.

Last edited by Willie'sVette; 09-17-2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: added text
Old 09-17-2011, 03:01 AM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

found one answer here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-o-wheels.html

it seems like the pin's function is to stop the wheel from rotating loose.... if everything is straight & lined up, it would seem that the wheel couldn't work loose...but if the wheel were damaged, the misalignment might not be noticed when installed, but on driving it could cause the pins failure....OTOH...what the hell do I know..
Old 09-17-2011, 07:52 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

We argue (or enthusiastically discuss) this about every 3 or 4 months.

It would seem to me that:

1. If the wheel is properly installed and tightened the pins do nothing but go along for the ride and maybe provide a measure of peace of mind. Under these conditions it probably matters not what direction you orient the spinner rotation.

2. If the wheel is properly indexed, the spinner almost but not quite securely tightened or there are slightly worn parts, and the center cap is mounted correctly - the pins should provide a measure of protection against the spinner backing completely off and a serious incident. With the aluminum pin this measure of protection may be short lived but with a hardened roll pin I can't see how you're going to loose the wheel unless you loose the center cap.

3. If stupid prevails and the wheel is mis-indexed, the spinner not securely tightened, adaptor or wheel are severly worn, the pins are left out or the center cap is barely hanging on - you'll probably get to experience the thrill of your wheel passing you as you head down the highway.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
We argue (or enthusiastically discuss) this about every 3 or 4 months.

It would seem to me that:

1. If the wheel is properly installed and tightened the pins do nothing but go along for the ride and maybe provide a measure of peace of mind. Under these conditions it probably matters not what direction you orient the spinner rotation.

2. If the wheel is properly indexed, the spinner almost but not quite securely tightened or there are slightly worn parts, and the center cap is mounted correctly - the pins should provide a measure of protection against the spinner backing completely off and a serious incident. With the aluminum pin this measure of protection may be short lived but with a hardened roll pin I can't see how you're going to loose the wheel unless you loose the center cap.

3. If stupid prevails and the wheel is mis-indexed, the spinner not securely tightened, adaptor or wheel are severly worn, the pins are left out or the center cap is barely hanging on - you'll probably get to experience the thrill of your wheel passing you as you head down the highway.
I think that pretty much covers the landscape on the topic.
Yes, the big block was freakin' awesome...I could hear it idling down the street towards my house with the sidepipes 4 houses away. The new owner offered to let me drive it but I told him he would be wiping up drool (and other body fluids) from the cockpit so it wouldn't be wise.

I went back into the house to check my stock portfolio to see if a BB C2 was in my future....it isn't...
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-17-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

......snip..... The new owner offered to let me drive it but I told him he would be wiping up drool (and other body fluids) from the cockpit so it wouldn't be wise.......snip...
How well do u know this guy?....did he know the wheel was lose when he offered u the keys????

Anyway, u seem like a pretty tough guy who could've handled it....didn't I read somewhere that u have ALLIGATORS in u'r backyard?!?@?#
Old 09-17-2011, 12:02 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

I am now 67 years old...soon to be 68...and my KO wheels are true KO's...which basically means I am the ONLY PERSON ON THIS EARTH that I personally TRUST to remove and replace a wheel..PERIOD...

At my age my knees sure do not like me down on the ground plus with my old eyes I have to be extra attentive not to hit the damn fender with the hammer...

Bottom line is that I wish my wheels were normal bolt on type..

As it is now I have to replace the tires I have to remove the wheels toss them in the back of my pickup take them to have tires mounted then come home and install them.... Its bad enough making sure the teenage kid mounting the tires does not screw up a wheel at the tire place then it is to remove and install them myself...

I'd never ever up true KO's on any of my cars again...

I do not plan on passing away anytime soon yet but I wonder IF I better schedule each of my sons down to the garage for LESIONS since I do not know IF I will be still physically able to do this job in another 10 years...

Just my opinion

Bob G.

Get notified of new replies

To knock off Q

Old 09-17-2011, 01:51 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 24695bob

I do not know IF I will be still physically able to do this job in another 10 years...

Just my opinion

Bob G.
I'd think if that car of yours wore out another set of radial tires in the next ten years, it'd be time to restore the whole car anyway!

If you can't see the fender, how can you see past the front of the hood to see where you're going?????????????
Old 09-17-2011, 04:21 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 24695bob
At my age my knees sure do not like me down on the ground plus with my old eyes I have to be extra attentive not to hit the damn fender with the hammer...
I do not know IF I will be still physically able to do this job in another 10 years...

Just my opinion

Bob G.
I am with you bro , hell I am 61 and cant do it NOW and thats no opinion
Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 PM
60-vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeM
.....If you can't see the fender, how can you see past the front of the hood to see where you're going?????????????
MikeM, that's not funny. Wait until you get over 45 years of age and you find out on yourself.
Wish you that noone than will pick on you because of your deteriorating eyesight

Quick Reply: knock off Q