C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mid year knock-off wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 01:46 AM
ddaveyboy@home.com
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid year knock-off wheels

Hi guy's
I have set of repo knock-offs for my 65. Does anyone have a solution to removing the centre cap (to remove the pin) without damaging it? Short off prying it out with a screwdriver, which really hurts. They are a tight snap fit , and I am troubled every time I remove them. Also if anyone has a photo of their 65 rodster painted in glengreen,with a white top,or a 66 roadster painted laguna blue or trophy blue and last but not least , a 67 roadster painted in marina blue it would be much apprceiated if you could send me some pictures.
Thanks
Dave :chevy
Old 05-02-2002, 08:09 AM
Lightfoot
Le Mans Master

CI 1 through 10 Vet

Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (ddaveyboy@home.com)

ddaveyboy
try using a small suction cup.- works pretty well and certainly wont scratch.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:15 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....i don't think a suction cup will work if the caps are difficult to remove but i'm sure it's worth a try.....in my experience, i needed the screwdriver to remove them initially (you should find slots around the periphery that will allow the screwdriver to grab the cap)....using some wd40 to help get them removed won't hurt but i'm not sure it helps.....

..once you have them removed, clean up the lip on the wheel where they attach and also clean up the cap....put a SMALL amount of antisieze grease on the lip and i don't think you'll have any probelms in the future.....if you have repops, you CAN use some #200 wet/dry to clean up the edges of the cap but if they're originals, i wouldn't do that

hope this helps
Old 05-02-2002, 09:46 AM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (Kid_Again)

I hear ya. I've noticed the caps that come with the reproductions, at least the ones I’ve owned, are very thick, I mean, made of think metal (as well as being painted incorrectly… colors in wrong position/order on cap). There are some higher quality replacements out there that are made of "thinner" metal, and as such, they area a bit "springy" and pop off and on much easier (they are also painted correctly).
Old 05-02-2002, 12:33 PM
hot1corvette1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (66427-450)

Hi all,
Having similar problems, will try your recommendations.
Question: Do any of you know where to get the lead hammer similar to what was originally with the car??

I am using a "dead blow" hammer from the hardware store, but it looks terrible
(all orange) and is too big.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-02-2002, 01:02 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah the old torments with the KO wheels. No more for this guy! Sold 'em!!! Goodby goodby goodby F'n goodby!
Old 05-02-2002, 01:13 PM
stngry63
Racer

Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (TheOman)

Ah the old torments with the KO wheels. No more for this guy! Sold 'em!!! Goodby goodby goodby F'n goodby!
except that mine are stacked in the garage; couldn't have said it better. :smash:
Old 05-02-2002, 01:49 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (stngry63)

Yup the last straw was a flat tire on the interstate in the blazing summer heat. Out with the silly hammer, bang bang bang, huff puff sweat sweat huff puff. No Mas!!!! They do look good but the safety pins and the hammers and the center caps and and and....! Only thing that could have been worse was if I had KO 'ed the fender. KO'ed as in Knocked Out !!! I likely would have stroked out.

Best thing is i can remove wheels to work on the car in a matter of seconds with my air driven tools. I smile and pat myself on the back every time I work on the car and have to remove a wheel. With those silly KO's I was so tired after getting the wheels off I did not want to do the job at hand. Several times I finished a mod or a repair and I just was not up for beating the silly things back on so I did not get to enjoy or test my work

No Mas!! Just say No Mas to KO's
Old 05-02-2002, 02:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I use a 3/32" tip screwdriver. Insert the screwdriver centered on one of the three colors, that way you are deflecting the cap at one of the outward embossed nubs. I haven't damaged one yet. I also scribed a line with a carbide tip scribe to check if the wheel has tried to rotate. Also replaced the Al. pins with steel tapered dowels of the same size.
I've yet to have a problem with a spinner coming loose.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:39 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

i use a thin sponge and water pump pliers, it comes right off and never leaves marks, i also have a full set of repros for a 1966 with red like bias ply tires for sale if anyone is interested. in very good condition. I like the look and anyone can bolt on a set of wheels. takes a man to knock them on hahahahahahaha :boxing
Old 05-02-2002, 03:00 PM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (MidYearRoadster)

What are you asking for the repros? Any pic's? :D

Old 05-02-2002, 04:38 PM
DanTanna
Instructor

Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (JoesC5)

Amen to replacing the aluminum pins with steel! Took off my caps to find one pin broken and another broke when I tried to pull it out. Had to drill them both out. What would I have done if I were stuck on the highway with a flat! I shudder to think about it. Dump the KO's.... hmmmm, I'll have to consider that. I do like the way they look. But they are a pain in the butt sometimes. Taste great -less filling.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:08 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (DanTanna)

DanTanna, don't the aftermarket vendors make a set of bolt-ons that look like knock-offs, where you can get all the looks but none of the hassles? :yesnod:
Old 05-02-2002, 05:22 PM
DanTanna
Instructor

Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (Denney)

Denny, yes they do. Pricey though, but I have considered it. Will need to sell my KO's either way. Decisions, decisions. I do like rally's though too and the chrome rallys are way cool.

[Modified by DanTanna, 4:24 PM 5/2/2002]
Old 05-02-2002, 05:43 PM
Rair67
Drifting

Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (hot1corvette1)

Most vette suppliers carry them- try Paragon.

:)
Hi all,
Having similar problems, will try your recommendations.
Question: Do any of you know where to get the lead hammer similar to what was originally with the car??

I am using a "dead blow" hammer from the hardware store, but it looks terrible
(all orange) and is too big.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-02-2002, 05:44 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"No Mas!! Just say No Mas to KO's"

...'ya gotta love this forum.......you also have to respect those who have the experience........i'd sell the repops, would keep the ww's but they ARE a pain...

fwiw, the better bet than steel pins are roll pins (3/16x3/4 long, if i remember correctly)....for the best removal tool (which really needs to be different than the installation tool), use a small mallet/sledge hammer and pound on a pience of old tire...they come right off IF installed correctly (remember to use antisieze grease upon installation).....

...i CAN'T BELIEVE i'm giving advice about KEEPING ko's :rolleyes: :crazy:
Old 05-02-2002, 08:11 PM
Mike Smith
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're tired of flailing away with the big hammer, I've got a like-new (used once) KO wrench I no longer need (no longer have KOs on my car).

Steel frame, urethane insert to grip spinner, and solid steel handle.

Asking $215 plus shipping.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid year knock-off wheels

Old 05-02-2002, 08:40 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (Mike Smith)

I have no problem getting the caps off, it's getting them back on that's a Pain!
I have gone thrugh 2 set's because I keep busting off those little stupid tabs!
The caps that are made of the thin type metal are the ones that brake all the time. I have found that the caps that are made of the thick aloy which are not correct don't break. They not painted colors on the caps they are glued on vinyl strips. But I don't care, my 65 Coupe is a Frankenstein driver,with a 66 grill- big block hood -and chrome roof side vents. But their's something about beating the hell out off those spinners that gets my frustration out when I work on the car!! It reminds me of the way things use to be when we were young when it was cool to change a flat with a hammer!! And when I get really feed up, I drive my C4. Long Live KO's
:smash: :smash:

[Modified by Viet Nam Vett, 4:54 AM 5/3/2002]
Old 05-03-2002, 12:57 PM
hot1corvette1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (Viet Nam Vett)

OK..I must now ask a (possibly) stupid question.
I have been driving my 66 with rally wheels, but I like the look of the KO's better. So, I would like to put them on. Problem is, that I have never dealt with this before and have a question about some discussions that have come up in this thread.

What is the "pin" that you are all talking about? I can't find such a pin on my wheels anywhere? I have repro wheels.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-03-2002, 02:32 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: Mid year knock-off wheels (hot1corvette1)

Original and early repro KOs do not have the pins. Later repros have several slots milled in the adaptor thread and nut to install "safety pins" that should prevent the nut from coming loose, however if you install the nuts properly according to GMs instructions, they should not come off. It appears that many were reluctant to beat hard enough on the nut to get the proper torque range, thus the "safetly pins" on the later reproductions.

Duke

Quick Reply: Mid year knock-off wheels