C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 Convertible Soft Top Installation Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:02 PM
bigdell66@cox.net
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1966 Convertible Soft Top Installation Advice

I'm preparing to install the tack strips and weatherstripping on my 66 soft top. Can anyone advise on the best way to install the new tack strips (adhesive, method, etc.) ? I also would like to know whether to use adhesive on the bolt -on window weather strip pieces that fasten to the soft top frame.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 09:19 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

If you are using original type tack strip then you should not need any glue. I usually press them into the channel on the #3 bow. Also, press them into place where the pads attach to the 1 and 2 bows. Tabs will hold the tack strips onto the header bow. The problem comes when the tabs on the header bow rust and cannot be used. Then you will have to use sheet metal screws to attach the tack strip and grind them off smoth with a small grinder. This is very common.
If you are using plastic tack strips then you may have to use glue to hold them in place on the 1, 2 and 3 bows.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:03 PM
bigdell66@cox.net
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 Convertible Soft Top Installation Advice

Quick Reply: 1966 Convertible Soft Top Installation Advice