C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

broken rear spindle

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:32 PM
502c2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default broken rear spindle

so next problem, i broke the drivers side spindle yesterday. my question is do they make stronger ones? and if i put that in what is the next weakest link?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Might be time for conversion to a straight (Ford 9") axle.

Plasticman
Old 12-16-2009, 03:15 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Like this.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:37 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

If you're running drag slicks then it may indeed be time for a Ford axle. However, I have broken only one axle (driver's side also) at Waterford Hills many years ago (1987) and I believe that axle had been damaged by failure of that wheel bearing prior to shearing off. I have had no problems since, and for street or road course I am not aware that stub axle or spindle failure is an issue. I would recommend stock replacement.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

502c2 - Any body damage when that rear stub axle snapped, hopefully not?
Mike T.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:31 PM
502c2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vet65te
502c2 - Any body damage when that rear stub axle snapped, hopefully not?
Mike T.
not this time, thank god.

well with how loud the car is i would not be able to hear a bearing. thanks for the heads up
Old 12-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

I guess it's not too much of a surprise when you put the power of a BB 502 to those large tires out back. Somethings likely to give, unfortunately. So, now that the worst is over, not counting the time you'll be spending putting it all back together, are you going to share the circumstances behind this stub axle going 'ka-blooey'?
Mike T.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
502c2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vet65te
I guess it's not too much of a surprise when you put the power of a BB 502 to those large tires out back. Somethings likely to give, unfortunately. So, now that the worst is over, not counting the time you'll be spending putting it all back together, are you going to share the circumstances behind this stub axle going 'ka-blooey'?
Mike T.
i was driving the car around town trying out the new rack and pinion steering. i came around a turn and opened up the car then there was a loud bang so i pulled over fearing the worst and when i looked over the car it looked ok but it would not move under it's own power so i called my friend to tow it back (lucky i have tow hooks on it). it must had been a site to see a corvette being towed by a toyota suv. once we got back he looked under the car and i let out the clutch and he told me the half shaft was moving. so i took it a part.

Last edited by 502c2; 12-16-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 502c2
not this time, thank god.

well with how loud the car is i would not be able to hear a bearing. thanks for the heads up
You can FEEL a wheel bearing going out. In my case, the wheel bearing went bad and froze the race on the stub axle. to get it off, the dealer had to use a torch. I believe that eventually lead to the axle failure (in the heat of battle). Same symptoms as yours after it broke.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom's Differentials axles and half shafts. Used on drag cars. Get them with the 1/2" lug studs while you are at it.

Last edited by Vogie; 12-17-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:45 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skids

Like this.
Wow! I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. I thought Plastic man was joking until I scrolled down!!!

A straight axle in a Mid-Year...Go figure!
Old 12-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

These may do well as replacements for the factory spindles.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...5&dept_id=1882
Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 502c2
so next problem, i broke the drivers side spindle yesterday. my question is do they make stronger ones? and if i put that in what is the next weakest link?
International Axle makes the best spindle money can buy.

http://www.internationalaxle.com/

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-17-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:47 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 547 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Vogie
Tom's Differentials axles and half shafts. Used on drag cars. Get them with the 1/2" lug studs while you are at it.
About three months ago, I bought a bunch of Tom's rear end stuff. I got the 1350 u-joint rear end with 30/31 splines. There's one much stronger and more expensive with bigger U joints (Its a 14XX u-joint rear end). I think Tom's maximum rear end IRS is bullet proof. I got his second from the top strength parts and paid something like $4000 +. One step up gets more expensive due to the 12 bolt differential (standard vette is 10 bolt). Anyhow top tier or second from top tier, gets you Tom's max strength differential carrier unit, which is personly assembled by Tom.

If you get the 1/2" studs, as suggested above, you can't fit in the parking brake pieces. Having a parking brake is very convenient. On a slight incline you can park the car with the engine idling and not have to worry about it rolling. I think 1/2 is good for drag racing, but otherwise, the 7/16 should be good and they are more compatible with street wheels.

Get that credit card out, call Tom's, and get happy. Unfortunately Toms doesn't build units anymore (other than his "tuned" differential units) . Otherwise, he just sells parts. There are Corvette vendors advertising on CF that advertise rebuilding.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

You have to be careful about rear spindles. There is a bunch of them being made off shore now. I am very particular where ours come from, it could kill someone if they came apart and we don't want to have some responsibility in someone getting hurt over a couple of extra dollars. All of our spindles are made in the US and they are made by the original company that made them for GM originally. They have also had all of the DOT testing done on them. I don't know if that 502 will not break one, but I would think if the bearing is setup right and no extreme heat in the spindle from a bad bearing they would be fine. I have never had one come back broken.
Justin
Old 12-19-2011, 10:56 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Justin,
There is another new offshore spindle out now. It's a dead ringer for the good spindles except it is missing the insignia. Not sure who is making them but a company in FL is putting them in their trailing arms.
Mike
Old 12-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

Glad you had zero damage. FYI if you ever see a shaft blued or blackened by a bearing failure dump the shaft. They will fail, I had a friend killed by a broken shaft that snapped on the freeway. The sad part is that he was told not to re use that shaft but did not buy into the advice. A failed bearing will heat the shaft and weaken it. If the original color of the shaft is still good all is well.

Get notified of new replies

To broken rear spindle

Old 12-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
About three months ago, I bought a bunch of Tom's rear end stuff. I got the 1350 u-joint rear end with 30/31 splines. There's one much stronger and more expensive with bigger U joints (Its a 14XX u-joint rear end). I think Tom's maximum rear end IRS is bullet proof. I got his second from the top strength parts and paid something like $4000 +. One step up gets more expensive due to the 12 bolt differential (standard vette is 10 bolt). Anyhow top tier or second from top tier, gets you Tom's max strength differential carrier unit, which is personly assembled by Tom.

If you get the 1/2" studs, as suggested above, you can't fit in the parking brake pieces. Having a parking brake is very convenient. On a slight incline you can park the car with the engine idling and not have to worry about it rolling. I think 1/2 is good for drag racing, but otherwise, the 7/16 should be good and they are more compatible with street wheels.

Get that credit card out, call Tom's, and get happy. Unfortunately Toms doesn't build units anymore (other than his "tuned" differential units) . Otherwise, he just sells parts. There are Corvette vendors advertising on CF that advertise rebuilding.
I have the top tier Tom's unit to include the 12 bolt assembled by the late Kenny and the thick wall half shafts. Tom says 800HP+. This package is used by some serious drag cars. The 12 bolt press in studs don't preclude the use of the parking brake assembly in mine. I had Van Steel install the outer axles in a set of Tom's trailing arms and all went together as designed. I have also installed the half shaft safety loops and Tom's upper control arms which have no alignment function, but serve to keep everything under the car if a half shaft or universal breaks. So far, I have had no assembly issues, but the chassis is on a dolly so I cannot comment on the driveability. You have to clearance the storage wells to clear the larger inner flanges and universal yokes.

As a side note, be sure to use univerals without grease fittings.

There was a forum member here that did some of the very best differential build-ups I have seen. Don't recall his handle. He became disenchanted and left. I think he is on one or more of the other forums. Good luck.

Last edited by Vogie; 12-19-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:52 AM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vogie
..........As a side note, be sure to use univerals without grease fittings...........
Why is this?
Old 12-21-2011, 11:09 AM
1965fuelie
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by builder
Why is this?
Because the internal grease channels going from the grease fitting to the bearings makes it weaker than the solid ones.

Quick Reply: broken rear spindle