C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Trick to seal intake manifold oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:43 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Trick to seal intake manifold oil leak?

I read somewhere about a method to seal an intake manifold oil leak without removing the intake. It involved stuffing rtv sealant in the leak and then starting the engine for a short time. Anyone have specificic details on how to do this?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
I read somewhere about a method to seal an intake manifold oil leak without removing the intake. It involved stuffing rtv sealant in the leak and then starting the engine for a short time. Anyone have specificic details on how to do this?
you can try to clean the areas, im guessing the china walls, from the outside and smearing the stuff on. but i would let it thoroughly set up overnite before i started the mill
sometimes it works, sometimes not.....
Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

That may be only a bandaid. If you pull the intake, before you reinstall it take a center punch and stake the ends of the block every 1/2 in. and the same for the manifold. Torque the bolts in the CORRECT sequence and you should be OK. Dennis
Old 09-23-2011, 11:58 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Assuming you're talking about the end seals,the only way to do it right is to remove the manifold, clean everything with acetone, put a large bead of RTV on the block, install the manifold and don't start the motor for 24 hours.
Those rubber seals included with the intake gasket sets are from the dark ages. I haven't used them in over 30 years and I've never had a single leak. I've actually had to cut the RTV with a razor knife in order to remove the manifold they were bonded so well.

Jim
Old 09-23-2011, 03:17 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If your engine has the intake end seals, the only cure is to remove the intake manifold and reinstall it using RTV. If it was installed with RTV and it still has a small leak for some reason, you can try cleaning things up well and then smearing some more RTV on it. It will probably work.

Get notified of new replies

To Trick to seal intake manifold oil leak?

Quick Reply: Trick to seal intake manifold oil leak?