C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tremec/Keisler Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:36 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Here ya' go Tripleblack:

Scroll pretty much way down on this link.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....OtD-L2Y9lffb1M

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:54 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by esema
"available in 2012" Yeah. Right.
Sigh- That's why I was reluctant to post the new info. It will be available in the future. how's that?

two gear ratios available:

close ratio is 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1-1, and two different overdrive ratios available at .68 or .80 for 5th

Wide ratio trans is 2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1-1, and both .68 and .80 5th gear overdrive.

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=pcwmfm...3lHEvYrCXYJA=-

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 12-11-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: link
Old 12-11-2011, 11:19 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by midyearvette
and equally impressed that keisler is providing more room on the newer units, you'd think they would have done this in the first place...duh!!......
When Keisler first came out with the TKO 500 and 600 series, they were answering a need for a strong drop in overdrive trans for muscle cars. The only alternatives at the time were the Doug Nash/Richmond 5 spds and the New OEM 6 spds - The Nash/Richmond's were not overdrives, had shifter placement issues in some cars, and required a 3:08 or taller rear to get the desired overdrive equivalent gearing - which meant swapping out the whole rear for most applications, not just the gears - IF you could find them. The new and expensive OEM 6 speeds were huge, and required the complete tunnel to be cut out and enlarged, since they did not even come close to fitting in most muscle car tunnels. Although not perfect, the 500 and 600's were fantastic solutions, which is why they sold well. It's great to see Keisler has kept up the development and search for even better solutions in the RS, and eventually the SS700. I would imagine that bringing these products to market in such a slow economy is not easy...probably involving alot of time/money spent up front that might be difficult to "carry" in slow times - all the while waiting for the development team to finish thier work, and hoping the economy will not get even worse!! I commend them, and will continue my habit of doing my best to wear out parts, and then "upgrading" them when they are used up. So even though I have a TKO 600 now, I see an RS or SS in my future....

Last edited by FastEddy; 12-11-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
Just got my newsletter from Keisler that has information on the new SS700 debuted at the PRI show and to be available in 2012. Dimensions look identical to the RS series trans, but has torque capacity of 700 ft. lbs. and better (for my application at least) gear ratio availability.
Anyone else curious about offering a new SS700 trans when they can't even produce/deliver the LONG awaited RS 600 units? Just sayin.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLWRNU
Anyone else curious about offering a new SS700 trans when they can't even produce/deliver the LONG awaited RS 600 units? Just sayin.
It does raise more questions than answers. Are the RS600 production problems/delays (gear hardening process if I remember) now conquered, production up to full speed and all back orders being filled promptly ?, or did the production snafu turn out to be something major and require complete retooling, presenting a marketing opportunity to announce a "Gen2" RS ? did the RS order deposits go toward R&D to finally bring RS production online and fill orders/shipments, or did they go toward forging new alliance with 3rd parties like LG&T to "perfectfit" (revamp shifter location) their new LGT-700 to create the Kiesler SS700 ? Marketing splash and honed press releases seldom provide solid answers.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viking427
It does raise more questions than answers. Are the RS600 production problems/delays (gear hardening process if I remember) now conquered, production up to full speed and all back orders being filled promptly ?, or did the production snafu turn out to be something major and require complete retooling, presenting a marketing opportunity to announce a "Gen2" RS ? did the RS order deposits go toward R&D to finally bring RS production online and fill orders/shipments, or did they go toward forging new alliance with 3rd parties like LG&T to "perfectfit" (revamp shifter location) their new LGT-700 to create the Kiesler SS700 ? Marketing splash and honed press releases seldom provide solid answers.
Hello,

Jeff suggested I chime in to provide some additional information.

The RS600 issues were limited to just 14 units and this was resolved months ago. Gearsets are rolling in without issue and we are building all models.

The Gen2 RS was actually presented in a PRI 2010 interview. When we rolled out the RS the first time to the public we had the new case in hand, unmachined. We are letting people know that it is coming. It's especially important for Chrysler owners because it has a Chrysler bolt pattern on it, and lower height for no cutting in the Cudas and Challengers, etc.

Legend Gear & Transmission has their own unique product line which we are looking forward to carrying in 2012. It is not to be confused with Keisler's product line. We had a lot of input to LGT in designing the new gearbox so the result would be what I believe to be the best new overdrive solution to market. And fortunately we at Keisler have exclusive access to LGT produced components so that the RS can be further enhanced as well.

Our top priority is to get the RS backorders knocked out and maintain a normal lead time of 2-3 weeks for RS orders. And we plan to complete this catchup before selling the gen 2 RS, and before selling the SS700.

Thanks for your interest, and support American manufacturing for your American sports car!

Shafi Keisler
Old 12-13-2011, 11:21 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keisler Automotive
The Gen2 RS was actually presented in a PRI 2010 interview. When we rolled out the RS the first time to the public we had the new case in hand, unmachined.
For those that attended PRI last year you might remember seeing the main case on display. You can see it in this photo next to the barstool on the right.
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2011, 12:00 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Please explain the difference between the "gen 1 RS", the "gen 2 RS" and the close ratio version of the SS700.

I ordered a RS600 last month. So what will I end up getting?

Thank you.

PS: The gear spreads are perfectly satisfactory with the RS600, and I see no advantage to having the gear spreads employed with the close ratio version of the SS700, in fact, I prefer the RS600's 2.79:1 first gear with my 3.73 axle ratio. I AM, OF COURSE, CONCERNED ABOUT ANY OTHER "UPGRADES" THAT I WOULD BE MISSING OUT ON BY NOT CANCELLING MY RS600 ORDER AND WAITING FOR THE SS700.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:00 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
I AM, OF COURSE, CONCERNED ABOUT ANY OTHER "UPGRADES" THAT I WOULD BE MISSING OUT ON BY NOT CANCELLING MY RS600 ORDER AND WAITING FOR THE SS700.[/B]
your point is well taken, but from what i've read in previous posts, they might charge you a cancellation fee....
Bill
Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FastEddy.....i am in no way slamming keisler, as i am sure you know....the tko 650 i believe i have is the single best improvement i made with the car
it was just sooo evident to me about the slight clearance issue with the floor and one of the steel covers on the trans. but only evident AFTER the initial installation, so i took it all back out before even the first test drive......good luck to you.....
Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 AM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by midyearvette
FastEddy.....i am in no way slamming keisler, as i am sure you know....the tko 650 i believe i have is the single best improvement i made with the car
it was just sooo evident to me about the slight clearance issue with the floor and one of the steel covers on the trans. but only evident AFTER the initial installation, so i took it all back out before even the first test drive......good luck to you.....
I know you weren't slamming Keisler. I knew there could be a clearance issue when I installed mine for the first time 6+years ago, but I had not heard details on where it would hit, so I crossed my fingers - but no luck. Had to yank it and did of combination of grinding, and shimming the body. They had the body shim kits available when I first looked into the trans - I guess they started to modify the trans after more and more people had issues. It was frustrating for sure - mine went in and out several times before I got it right, but I do know that some did not have as much trouble. I was just thrilled to NOT have to rebuild my worn out, busted muncie, and to NOT have to cut the tunnel up for a six speed....and man was it nice to quiet those sidepipes down on the highway .
Old 12-14-2011, 06:02 AM
66 Vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Please explain the difference between the "gen 1 RS", the "gen 2 RS" and the close ratio version of the SS700.

Thank you.

PS: The gear spreads are perfectly satisfactory with the RS600, and I see no advantage to having the gear spreads employed with the close ratio version of the SS700, in fact, I prefer the RS600's 2.79:1 first gear with my 3.73 axle ratio. I AM, OF COURSE, CONCERNED ABOUT ANY OTHER "UPGRADES" THAT I WOULD BE MISSING OUT ON BY NOT CANCELLING MY RS600 ORDER AND WAITING FOR THE SS700.
Shafi, I have similiar questions. I also have an order in for the RS600 it appears the transmission mounting flange to the bell housing is more user friendly in the SS700 vs the RS600, will all future orders of the RS600 have this new mounting flange? When do you believe the backlog will be eleminated for the RS600?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

As I continue to read these posts (well over a year now) I am amazed at what people continue to put up with when trying to BUY a product.
You can get a RS 600 then you can't. Now there's a new and better? product coming . It almost seems like people don't really want to buy anything.
In fairness, I was one of those who waited for the ultimate RS600 but after only five months, the handwriting was on the wall. If I wanted to enjoy my 65, I needed to make a decision so I went with the TKO 600. Best decision I ever made. Been actually driving my C2 for about seven months and couldn't be happier.
Why put yourself through all the drama when a perfectly good alternative is available right now.
JMHO
Old 12-14-2011, 11:36 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.

Thank you.

Probably a PRICE upgrade
Old 12-14-2011, 10:34 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SLWRNU
As I continue to read these posts (well over a year now) I am amazed at what people continue to put up with when trying to BUY a product.
You can get a RS 600 then you can't. Now there's a new and better? product coming . It almost seems like people don't really want to buy anything.
In fairness, I was one of those who waited for the ultimate RS600 but after only five months, the handwriting was on the wall. If I wanted to enjoy my 65, I needed to make a decision so I went with the TKO 600. Best decision I ever made. Been actually driving my C2 for about seven months and couldn't be happier.
Why put yourself through all the drama when a perfectly good alternative is available right now.
JMHO
I'm with you. But my guess is that there are quite a few people that have cars that are off the road anyway, and the trans might not be the only thing keeping the car off the road. It that case it would kind of suck not knowing when to buy I guess...wanting to wait till they resolve things, but then not wanting to get to the point where waiting for a trans you ordered would hold you up.... I ran into that with tires...waiting for a BFG to start producing the tires I wanted for the rear, after not making them for a few years - so I bought a set of firestones....only to find out a few months later the tires were now available - much cheaper issue though
Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When i first tested TKO and saw one on table i just didnt like it that much. I went with T56 for my project and so far i think it is the best manual i have ever driven. Over year ago Keisler told they gonna build new five speed with T56 desing i order one for my 59. And after 12 month delivery time its here. Actually i did order 4 of them total since i managed to turn few of my friends away from automatics

So far everything seems to be really good. Of course C1 "perfect fit deluxe everything" kits had no prepaid and ordered drive shafts.. Jeff told me they are backordered... Hopefull not for an year again

Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bowtie racing
So far everything seems to be really good. Of course C1 "perfect fit deluxe everything" kits had no prepaid and ordered drive shafts.. Jeff told me they are backordered... Hopefull not for an year again
The driveshafts are actually not backordered for C1; they require measurements for us to build them on the solid axle cars. As soon as we have the measurements we can build them and get them on the way. Nice garage!

As far as the other questions, Shafi has been out of the office and should be addressing them today.

Get notified of new replies

To Tremec/Keisler Transmission

Old 12-15-2011, 12:45 PM
60-vette
Instructor

Default Fast Eddy's test run

Fast Eddy
you made my day by showing your midyear Vette with the five speed during operation. I could have watched the video all day long. Thanks for sharing
Keep on vettin..
Old 12-22-2011, 12:15 AM
rwerth7
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KeislerJeff
The driveshafts are actually not backordered for C1; they require measurements for us to build them on the solid axle cars. As soon as we have the measurements we can build them and get them on the way. Nice garage!

As far as the other questions, Shafi has been out of the office and should be addressing them today.
I'm also interested in the difference between Gen1 and 2. I have been considering ordering a 500. Does it make sense to wait until the Gen2 comes out especially if there is a different manufacturer for the gears. Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by KeislerJeff

Jeff, et al:

The above reply was posted 7 days ago. Don't you believe that it's proper business practice to answer questions of customers who have entrusted their good money to you? I refer to post #48, as well as questions from others that are posted here.
Thank you,
Joe Ciaravino

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-22-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Tremec/Keisler Transmission