C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is the LOWEST Idle speed your Generator will Charge at??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Default What is the LOWEST Idle speed your Generator will Charge at??

Here's a question I'd like to throw out there to all the C-1 guys, at what engine idle speed will your Generator produce enough juice to show a charge with all the lights ect... on (under load) assuming you have a healthy electrical system?????

I have been running some tests with the newly converted Solid State Voltage regulator and it seems I need a minimum of 850 RPM with the lights on and 700 RPM (daytime) no load to keep the Ammeter at "0". At 1000 RPM, I can run everything the car has and show a positive charge until the battery tops off.

Also, according to the specs, they call for 450RPM idle speed which I have NEVER been able to achieve a decent rate of charge at. Does anyone know why that number is so low??? Did GM mean for these cars to run at a discharge at idle?? Pilot Dan
Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I'm using the old mechanical regulator and mine performs just like yours. Mine idles at 750RPM and will show a slight dis-charge if I turn on the lights but will show a charge with just a slight increase in idle speed. It's been this way for 35+ years.

Jim
Old 09-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1snake
I'm using the old mechanical regulator and mine performs just like yours. Mine idles at 750RPM and will show a slight dis-charge if I turn on the lights but will show a charge with just a slight increase in idle speed. It's been this way for 35+ years.

Jim
That was pretty much how I remember my original mechanical voltage regulator working in the past. I had read that resistance in a circuit (like a bad ground or battery drain when off) can also contribute to low charge at slow engine speeds. Don't think that is the case here though since I replaced all the wiring. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Here's a question I'd like to throw out there to all the C-1 guys, at what engine idle speed will your Generator produce enough juice to show a charge with all the lights ect... on (under load) assuming you have a healthy electrical system?????

I have been running some tests with the newly converted Solid State Voltage regulator and it seems I need a minimum of 850 RPM with the lights on and 700 RPM (daytime) no load to keep the Ammeter at "0". At 1000 RPM, I can run everything the car has and show a positive charge until the battery tops off.

Also, according to the specs, they call for 450RPM idle speed which I have NEVER been able to achieve a decent rate of charge at. Does anyone know why that number is so low??? Did GM mean for these cars to run at a discharge at idle?? Pilot Dan
I may be the first adopter of the solid-state generator-based V/R in a C1...the gentleman that does them hadn't done one for an early vette before my conversion. Mine acts exactly as you describe and that includes running a 600W Kenwood stereo amp.

Seems that's perfectly normal behavior to me...of course my original 270HP '61 will NEVER idle at 450RPM...
Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Seems that's perfectly normal behavior to me...of course my original 270HP '61 will NEVER idle at 450RPM...
Frankie, according to Bob and others I put this question to, it appears that these cars were NOT meant to charge at idle and relied on Battery power. Some have changed their pulley to a smaller diameter to get the Generator to spin faster, but then the Tach is off (Generator driven models). Maybe some others will chime in to support or refute this conclusion.

As far as the VR conversion, I like what I see so far. Hope it will be trouble free for a good long while. No question, it works much better once the Generator spins fast enough to supply the power.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Pretty much my experience having driven generator cars of all types for quite a few years. The cars weren't intended to idle until the battery is discharged...
Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

No other opinions either way guys??? OK, let me pose this a different way, do the current restoration T-3 headlights (LL Wagner conversions) have the same resistance as the original T-3's??? I am wondering if the restoration headlamps could be drawing more power and therefore contributing to the negative charge at low idle setting. Thoughts????
Old 09-30-2011, 02:27 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Not sure what you're driving at. All the old generator cars I drove did not charge at idle. All you had to do was bring the RPM's up a little and you were fine. You would discharge with the "old " T-3 headlights at idle.

Last edited by narlee; 09-30-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by narlee
Not sure what you're driving at. All the old generator cars I drove did not charge at idle. All you had to do was bring the RPM's up a little and you were fine. You would discharge with the "old " T-3 headlights at idle.

There's not much more to say. Generator cars won't charge at low idle speeds. As the electrical load on a cars charging system increased, this became a problem and that's why alternators became standard equipment.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by narlee
Originally Posted by MikeM

There's not much more to say. Generator cars won't charge at low idle speeds. As the electrical load on a cars charging system increased, this became a problem and that's why alternators became standard equipment.
OK thanks guys, I thought I had read somewhere that the newer headlamps used more juice but also in turn are brighter.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
OK thanks guys, I thought I had read somewhere that the newer headlamps used more juice but also in turn are brighter.
I believe the newer headlights use more juice but even with the original OEM bulbs, when the engine would slow to idle, the headlights would dim. The engine speeds up and the headlights brighten.

That's pretty much a thing of the past with alternators.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Charging output depends on the diameter of your generator pulley, engine speed "RPM's", condition of the generator, correct adjustments to the voltage regulator, condition and size of wiring. Here is a link that may help: http://www.42fordgpw.com/voltage.html

rustylugnuts

Last edited by rustylugnuts; 09-30-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the LOWEST Idle speed your Generator will Charge at??

Quick Reply: What is the LOWEST Idle speed your Generator will Charge at??