C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dash pad restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:19 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It really came out great compared to what it looked like. I guess in person you can see the flaws, but in these pictures it looks perfect. I agree, the seats do look very comfortable.

So did you use the same paint on the the entire dash area including the metal speaker grille? And did you do anything to keep from painting your speakers? I didn't know you could do it like that.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:11 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

I find sometimes vinyl dye spray gives a finish that is too glossy to my taste. Anyone has an opinion on this? Can it be de-glossed to somewhere in between matt and glossy?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Yes I painted it all

Originally Posted by KC John
It really came out great compared to what it looked like. I guess in person you can see the flaws, but in these pictures it looks perfect. I agree, the seats do look very comfortable.

So did you use the same paint on the the entire dash area including the metal speaker grille? And did you do anything to keep from painting your speakers? I didn't know you could do it like that.
Hi,

I did paint everything on the console. I am sure some spray made it to the speaker, but I did not notice any sound difference. Very little paint made it through the grill. I did about 6 coats of very fine mist. I was not about to take the grill off. I did use a adhesion promoter and that stuff seems to really work. I had painted other stuff in the past without it and had peeling problems. I also cleaned much better this time to remove any wax or dirt, oils etc.

I was going to take off the cluster, but I decided to spend more time on taping than removing the cluster.

You may notice that my interior is two tone. My 66 came with dark saddle dash and console and light saddle seats, doors etc. right from factory. The light saddle I kept on the seats , doors, rugs. The dark saddle is on the dash, seat backs, quarter panels , rear deck trim , kick panels and floor mats. My top is cloth Tan, and with the Glen green , I think is a great combo, for me that is. My NCRS buddies might object, but then again, I drive my car more than look at it.

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 10-06-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Very matt

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I find sometimes vinyl dye spray gives a finish that is too glossy to my taste. Anyone has an opinion on this? Can it be de-glossed to somewhere in between matt and glossy?
Hi, my paint which I had mixed locally, did not have a gloss finish. If anything it is very flat.

My seats are not overstuffed. I had Larry use materials from Wilcox and they are "Corvette America" made. Foam is very soft and comfortable.

Looks like it needs some hand touching to gloss it up a bit.

My vinyl job up close is not very good, but compared to what it was......

As most of you know I drive my car in all weather all year long, so no judging for me.

Jack
Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 61retro
Personally, I have never used an adhesive promoter, but it can't hurt. As far as the repairs go, any vinyl repair kit will work. If you have an area where it is "curled", then you need to glue a "backing" of some sort underneath the split. I typically use a structural adhesive, and a piece of vinyl. The vinyl repair "goo" has NO structural properties, so if you don't stablize the area first, it will just crack again. It's kind of a "finesse" thing, but you can use a piece of vinyl to imprint the grain on the vinyl putty as it dries. I use a heat gun vs. an iron. You'll start to heat the repair, and right when its soft, but not sticky, you press the vinyl imprint into the putty. If you do it too soon, it will stick, and pull the repair off. If you do it too late, it won't imprint. If you screw it up, just wipe it clean with lacquer thinner, and start over. Use a minimal amount of putty to fill the crack. Don't try to use it like bondo, as a body filler, or you'll see the edge. Go easy on the lacquer thinner, as it will tend to soften the vinyl. Let it dry between "wipes", so that the vinyl will harden back up. Good luck.

Mike Coletta

Thanks Mike for you help and encouragement.

Like most jobs on our cars , the most difficult thing is getting started.

I may have to redo one crack , but it can wait. Now just need to get my windshield back in .

Jack
Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
The term "dye" is a misnomer. It's really elastomeric vinyl paint and it is very durable. I would not hesitate to dye them. Just clean very thoroughly and as you suggested - use the adhesive promoter. If you have access to a spray gun I would suggest having a paint shop mix some paint to your specification. Even if you don't have a spray gun you can purchase one of those Prevail spray kits for somewhere around $10 and it would do fine on something like the dash pads.
I did use the Prevail spray kit. Since a spray gun was $300 , it worked very well and I can use it again.

For those of you who do not know what that is, It is a kit that has a bottle that you fill with paint, attach what looks like a spay can with a pickup coming out the bottom of it, screw it into the bottle and you have a spray bottle instead of a can. You clean it up with thinner and use again. I bought a extra can ( pressurized can) that will paint about 10oz of paint before you need to replace it. $5 for new charged can. Here is a link so you can see what it looks like.

http://www.preval.com/shopping/preval-spray-system

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 10-06-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:04 AM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Jack,

What vinyl repair kit did you end up using and where did you purchase it? My dashpads are cracked like yours, but I thought they were too far gone. Was going to replace them, but am re-thinking that.

Steve
Old 10-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default sent email

Originally Posted by raypilot65
Jack,

What vinyl repair kit did you end up using and where did you purchase it? My dashpads are cracked like yours, but I thought they were too far gone. Was going to replace them, but am re-thinking that.

Steve
Hi Steve, sent you an email.

The kit is by Permatex ? Available at hardware or VIP or any auto store.

My email goes into detail, but you must close or fill all cracks. It is not a filler. Just a top coat to blend repair. You can use any good adhesive , soft type , but do not leave a deep crack , it will not fill it.

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 10-06-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Seat frames restore

Here are some pictures of my seat frames before and after I restored them. Larry Woods recovered them for me last week.

You can see what 40 plus years of wear and tear can do to the springs and old foam

Jack

Old 10-07-2011, 01:42 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I have typically topcoated the color coats with SEM semi-gloss clear vinyl paint and it leaves a very mat finish. It also provides additional protection from wear to the color coats.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I did use SEM paint

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I have typically topcoated the color coats with SEM semi-gloss clear vinyl paint and it leaves a very mat finish. It also provides additional protection from wear to the color coats.
I used SEM paint to do the dash and it did have a matt finish. I did not know they had a clear coat.

Jack
Old 10-07-2011, 04:02 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The dash came out looking great and for sure the seats that Larry did Great job of both of you

I also noticed a very good looking window frame with no rust
Old 10-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by TheSaint
The dash came out looking great and for sure the seats that Larry did Great job of both of you

I also noticed a very good looking window frame with no rust
The reason for no rust is good caulking job. My car never leaked thru the trim or windshield gasket. I will post pictures of the back of the trim, it still has the caulking in place between the clips. All the sealant used was the soft type. It still was putty like even after 40 + years.

When I put the trim back on , I will use the 3M strip caulk to seal it just as I found it .

My 3rd latch solved the water leak problem of convertibles between the top and trim. That was the only place water would come in.

Too bad it took me forty years to find a $10 latch to solve the problem.

Starting to get chilly here , must be the same in Oslo, I may have to start wearing a jacket when I go for a ride

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 10-07-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default windshield install and trim update

Here are some pictures of my windshield / dash / trim install.

As you know , my windshield was broken by a rock on my trip. Pictured below is the back side of my trim. It shows the strip caulk that was used to seal water out under trim.

My car never leaked from the windshield and my birdcage as seen in other photos is almost rust free.

I believe the good use of the strip caulk kept out the water . The good use of soft bedding material that was still soft when rubber gasket was removed kept the water from passing from glass outside of cage to inside of cage in the pinch weld area.

Back of trim as removed, notice placement of black strip caulk , if it was not on trim , in was stuck on birdcage. Once continuous ribbon around all of the outside part of trim.

Notice the condition of my original clips, no rust, still green with a "p" in the center of pin

glass guys come tomorrow to put in glass, I will do the trim later

Jack

Back of trim just taken off

Good idea to mark where clips are with trial fit

ready for windshield

Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Windshield Installed

I had the glass shop order the glass and all they are doing is putting the glass in the gasket and installing the window into the frame.

Brian, from Safelite, used the rope method, he laid down a bead of the 3M Bedding material that I supplied, and we picked up windshield and put it in. Two people are needed, the rope worked without any problems, he used just glass cleaner to lube channel.

The corners are difficult and take some work to get the window in the right position. I think the problem is that our cars have settled and the birdcage is not the same as it was 46 years ago. The glass is the same size.

He then put a rubber sealant between the glass and rubber.

It took no more then an hour for us to get the window in.

It took me about 3 hours to get the trim on. The new gasket is bigger then the old shrunken one , so the clips worked but I still need to work on the ends of the lower trim. I also did bend the trim a bit on my first disassemble a few months ago.

Unfortunately, that knowledge is gained at the cost of bent trim , once you have it off, you can see how easy it is to do next time.

It was raining today so it was a good day to test for leaks...

No Leaks , not from glass or top

The 3rd latch also helps, but I could not find any water in the car on the edges of glass, or kick panels .

Pictures

Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 AM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Jack,

Excellent write up WITH detailed pictures!!

I know I'll be addressing my windshield replacement down the road.

Again, nice work AND kudos to Larry (Woodsdesign) too!

Jim
In God We Trust
Old 10-14-2011, 08:15 PM
harley7453
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow.... looks GREAT.LOVE THE COLOR.....

Get notified of new replies

To Dash pad restoration

Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by harley7453
wow.... looks GREAT.LOVE THE COLOR.....
After 46 years of original stuff, I thought it was time for a change. My son is 6'6" and he will get the car at some point. So, smaller wheel, my car as a 66 , came with a dark saddle dash and console. Don't ask me why? Late production or ran out of light saddle that day at factory.

This year I decided to go two tone, Dark and light saddle. The seats , rugs and door panels are same as factory when I got car, I just did the seat backs and floor mats , qt panels, kick panels and rear deck trim in dark. Don't know if I like the wheel yet, but it is easier to get in car with new seats, it is the legs and not the belly that gets in the way. I will take the other wheel with me in case I ran into a tough NCRS corvette crowd.

Jack
Old 10-14-2011, 09:01 PM
harley7453
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the wheel... I like it alot....
Old 10-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Mid america motorworks

Originally Posted by harley7453
Where did you get the wheel... I like it alot....
about $199 in six colors and fits all mid years without any adapters .

Link to the page

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=4.7024

Once I can drive , (knee operation today) in a week or so, I will know more on how I like it. I was able to take a drive this morning and liked the feel.

Jack

Quick Reply: Dash pad restoration