C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is the correct number for a 1962 starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I never saw so many grown people acting like children, until I found the Corvette Forum.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:15 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Default Inside your head now, eh?

[QUOTE=MikeM;1579087097] I just spent about an hour going back through his posts over the last couple years on this forum and his posts reflect almost NO personal experience or technical advice not commonly found anywhere.

QUOTE]

Hi Mike - Sorry to take so long in getting back to you, but I spent the afternoon doing something productive - rebuilding one of the SU fuel pumps on my '73 XJ6. Took you off of "ignore" just for fun this one time to give you a little insight into my experience beyond what you have read in my profile, since you seem so interested and actually spent an hour checking up on me. I've owned my C2 for 40 years last month; 2nd owner , bought it from my college room mate. 3 engines, 2 transmissions since then. So, I do have a modicum of experience there. You?

Admittedly I don't know everything or have it all memorized, so I do use references frequently. Is there something wrong with that? Do you know it all by heart?

Tell you what, this crap between you and I has gotten way out of hand. In another thread, you suggested I look in the mirror. While I didn't care for him personaly there's a quote from a Michael Jackson song that seems appropriate here:

"I'm looking at the man in the mirror,
I'm asking him to change his ways"

Are you willing and able to do the same?

PS - railroads were actually designed by Civil Engineers, so thanks for the compliment!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 10-29-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Funs over, now back to serious business (Corvettes)

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I never saw so many grown people acting like children, until I found the Corvette Forum.

OK, since I started this thread maybe I can end it. Your right, I was acting like a child, but when he called me an expert, (meaning it sarcastically) it rubbed me the wrong way. I was only giving my opinion. But he was right about one thing. I am a taker, simply because I’m not C1 smart enough to be a giver, at least not yet. BTW, MikeM, thanks for your support.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Hi John -

Just out of curiosity, do you think that the two sources discussed above about the 889s being used in early production '62s are incorrect, or is it just that NCRS recognizes only the 233 for judging purposes even if the 889 was used in early production cars?
Thanks,
Glenn
The starters shown in the NCRS JG (and in the NCRS Pocket Spec Guide) are there because that's what's shown in the Engineering specs, the Assembly Manual, and what's been observed in hundreds of known-original judged cars over the last 37 years.

It's impossible to use an 889 starter in a '62 Powerglide car; the 889 starter bolts to the bellhousing, and all '62 Powerglide cars use a completely different starter (the 242) that bolts to the engine block.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:54 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Enough of this BS. I'd recommend the two members bickering back and forth to have a Coke and a smile and grow up or I'll arrange a vacation from the forum for both of you.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:02 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi John -

Just out of curiosity, do you think that the two sources discussed above about the 889s being used in early production '62s are incorrect, or is it just that NCRS recognizes only the 233 for judging purposes even if the 889 was used in early production cars?
Thanks,
Glenn
Originally Posted by JohnZ
The starters shown in the NCRS JG (and in the NCRS Pocket Spec Guide) are there because that's what's shown in the Engineering specs, the Assembly Manual, and what's been observed in hundreds of known-original judged cars over the last 37 years.

It's impossible to use an 889 starter in a '62 Powerglide car; the 889 starter bolts to the bellhousing, and all '62 Powerglide cars use a completely different starter (the 242) that bolts to the engine block.
Thanks, John! I'm still not sure I understand, 'tho. I realize your response was couched in your usual high standard of both technical knowledge and diplomacy, but since these two other sources both state that the 889s were used on early production manual transmission cars, I'm wondering if that is still a possiblity?

For example, the AIM apparently also inclued a reference to the 219 with a PG '62, but that evidently never went into production.

I'd be interested in what you think personally, if you care to elaborate further.

Thanks!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 10-30-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-30-2011, 03:02 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by H P Bushrod
Enough of this BS. I'd recommend the two members bickering back and forth to have a Coke and a smile and grow up or I'll arrange a vacation from the forum for both of you.
10-4

Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by H P Bushrod
aye aye sir
Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM
gofastvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What difference does it make, you can make any one of case numbers fit all of the engines and transmissions mentioned....all you need to do is change the nose that suits the bellhousing or block as a PG nose is differemt than a standard......Do these NCRS experts get underneath a car to check a number? And if they do, what difference dose it make.....For the most part rebuilders dont match numbers on cases to a particular nose........any one of the cases mentioned here might find a home on any GM car or truck with the proper nose, there not exclusive to fitting a Corvette.......

END
Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, John! I'm still not sure I understand, 'tho. I realize your response was couched in your usual high standard of both technical knowledge and diplomacy, but since these two other sources both state that the 889s were used on early production manual transmission cars, I'm wondering if that is still a possiblity?
The '61-'62 Judging Guide (which I don't have) will indicate what starters were used for both manual and Powerglide applications, including any "early" or "late" usages that were different than those that were "typical" for the model year, if applicable. '61-'62's have been judged for 37 years, so there's good history on them.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:14 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gofastvette
Do these NCRS experts get underneath a car to check a number?
Yes, we do - starters are checked as part of the "Chassis" judging section. If the car isn't going to be judged, it doesn't matter - if the appearance of originality is important, it does.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Wow - glad I took to the sidelines early on this one.
Don't know if its the approaching holidays or what but
the forum has gotten super contentious lately. My 'ignore list'
has doubled in size this month.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:44 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Wow - glad I took to the sidelines early on this one.
Don't know if its the approaching holidays or what but
the forum has gotten super contentious lately. My 'ignore list'
has doubled in size this month

Hey Frank -
I actually tried reducing my ignore list, but so far it doesn't seem to have paid off....................

Quick Reply: What is the correct number for a 1962 starter