C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

tach cable for 64

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:30 PM
CP64365
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tach cable for 64

I just pulled my tach cable from my 64 coupe. The cable is in a spiral wound gray metal casing and is only 23-23" long. The connector at the distributor had a metal knurled fitting, while the connector at the tachometer meter had a metal hex nut. I do not know if this could be original, but my concern is the length of replacement cables. From those reproduction dealers that actually list the length of the cable, they seem too long (e.g., 27"). Done anyone know who sell a cable that is closer to 23-23"? Would the longer 27" cable work. I am planning on installing the 90 degree adapter at the distributor Corvette America shows a photo of their cable which appears to have the same fittings on the end, but they do not list the length of their cable. Will have to call them Monday. Any suggestions? Thanks. Dave
Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Paragon, who I definetly trust BTW, shows a 64 tach cable for 24 3/4" long.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by CP64365
I just pulled my tach cable from my 64 coupe. The cable is in a spiral wound gray metal casing and is only 23-23" long. The connector at the distributor had a metal knurled fitting, while the connector at the tachometer meter had a metal hex nut. I do not know if this could be original, but my concern is the length of replacement cables. From those reproduction dealers that actually list the length of the cable, they seem too long (e.g., 27"). Done anyone know who sell a cable that is closer to 23-23"? Would the longer 27" cable work. I am planning on installing the 90 degree adapter at the distributor Corvette America shows a photo of their cable which appears to have the same fittings on the end, but they do not list the length of their cable. Will have to call them Monday. Any suggestions? Thanks. Dave
The cable isn't original - it's some sort of replacement; originals didn't have the spiral metal casing or hex ferrules. Paragon has a correct cable, and there's no need for the Bubba 90* adapter if the distributor is installed/oriented correctly - the tach drive will point directly at the cable hole in the firewall.

Get notified of new replies

To tach cable for 64

Quick Reply: tach cable for 64