C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Update on cruise control for the 56

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default Update on cruise control for the 56

Well, I bought a Rostra unit, which as I understand is what Dakota Digital buys from Rostra and sells.
There are three components that make up a complete cruise control: the basic unit, controler, speed sensor.
The controler is seperate because there are various options such as turn signal handle, dash mount, etc.
The speed sensor is seperate because of various methods to determine vehicle speed.
I got the dash mounted controler and the adaptor that goes between the speedometer fitting on the tranny and the speedo cable.

This is the basic cruise unit and a bunch of spegetti that come with it.
spegetti.

This is the speedo adapter---------it appears to be an excellent method of sensing speed.

This is the universal mounting bracket for attaching the accelerator cable to the throttle linkage. The one on the right is what comes in the kit. It can be bent, shaped and cut off as needed. I used it as a prototype to determine how to install the accelerator cable, then I made my own bracket out of heavy gauge stainless steel, bent it as needed, then polished it.

These two pictures are after the bracket was installed and then the cable attached to the bracket. I ran the cable through a stock, existing grommet and it will be the ONLY cruise component visible under the hood.

This is the dash mount controler which has On/Off-Resume/Accel.

The installation is not yet complete. I spent the day determing how/where to install and route everything and making the brackets. Basically all that's left is installing the remainder of the parts, hiding the cruise module up under the dash somewhere (maybe on top of the heater) and connecting all the wiring.

Tom Parsons
Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

I have had that exact unit in my 62 for a number of year I beleive I opted for the same options as you, and I have loved it. Originally I mounted the unit behind the trey and above the heater. I later added Hot Rod air and moved the cruise behind the kick panel on the passenger side. The mounting was easy, if standing on your head in a
C1 is easy, and I had plenty of cable to reach the carb linkage.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

it will be interesting to see how you like it and if it meets your expectations.
Bill
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default You'll love it!

Tom,

As I've told you before you're going love the CC. The speed signal generator seems to be what makes this unit work so well. It's the same method that almost every car on the road uses today except that the generator is hidden inside the tranny on the newer cars.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:25 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

I called Rostra Tech support today to get clarification on the wiring. The instructions are generic and I needed some specifics. The person on the other end was GREAT!!!!
So, today, I got all the wiring worked out (two of the wires are NOT used).
I wrapped the 2 wires from the speedo cable adapter with black elec tape so that they will be more compatable with the original wire harness that goes down the right side of the firewall, behind the engine. Then I shoved those wires through the grommet for the ign/starter harness. It is virtually undetectable. The speedo generator was simple to install between the speedo fitting in the tranny tail housing and the speedo cable.
I pulled the right kick panel and determined how I would mount the cruise unit. Now it's just a matter of routing all the wiring and making all the connections.
The whole cruise install will be on hold for a while because I have to send the windshield wiper motor for repair and if I install the cruise bracket/cable, it will only be in the way when re-installing the wiper motor. So when the wiper motor returns, I'll finish the cruise installation. It should be a snap because I have all the wiring/routing/installation worked out.

This is the firewall grommet/harness where I put the wrapped wires through that goes down to the speed generator.

This is the supplied mounting bracket (universal mounting) for the cruise unit, after I put a 90deg bend in it.

This is where I'll install the bracket. The location is forward of the upper, right door hinge anchor position. The fiberglass structure at this location is very thick and sturdy.

This is the positioning of the cruise unit/mounting bracket when it is bolted together.

When finished, the ONLY parts that will be visible is the bracket/accelerator cable under the hood and the dash mount controler under the dash.

Tom Parsons
Old 11-07-2011, 11:55 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Also looking to install cruise control in my car. The Rostra CC unit looks like a good way to go with a minimum number of parts needed that make up the works. The slim profile of the speed control actuator and hiding it away fairly easily..........a big plus! ..
Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrg
Also looking to install cruise control in my car. The Rostra CC unit looks like a good way to go with a minimum number of parts needed that make up the works. The slim profile of the speed control actuator and hiding it away fairly easily..........a big plus! ..
They have various controlers to choose from, including some replacement turn signal handle models. And I COULD HAVE installed one of those, but I wanted to keep things as inconspicious as possible, so that's why I chose the dash mount controler. At any time I can simply remove 2 screws/nuts, unplug the controler from the harness and take it out of the car. Not so easy with a turn signal handle.
When I called the Rostra Technician, he told me which wires to use, which ones not to use and which ones to splice together. The wires that were to be spliced together, I simply used crimp-on male/female connectors which will permit quick and simple unpluging of the controler harness.
Just too darn easy!

Tom Parsons
Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

i prefer convenience over inconspicuous...

Bill
Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

By the way, for those of you who have installed this type of cruise control.

The installation instructions list several locations NOT to install the cruise unit (pg 9 of instructions).
One of those locations is to NOT install it inside the passenger compartment because of noise. For those of you who have installed the cruise INSIDE the car, such as under the dash or behind the kick panel, does the unit produce offending or annoying noise?

Tom Parsons
Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

sorry Tom, i can't resist.. lol... it would have to be louder than a diesel locomotive to be objectionable in a C1...

Bill
Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 AM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

I have never heard mine. There,s enough noise in a c1 to drowned it out but with it installed behind the right kick panel I doubt that you would hear it under the best conditions.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Good move Tom - I had the turn signal mounted cruise control in my '66 Mustang when I bought it and hated the way it looked. Replaced it as soon as I could.
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2011, 11:58 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
They have various controlers to choose from, including some replacement turn signal handle models. And I COULD HAVE installed one of those, but I wanted to keep things as inconspicious as possible, so that's why I chose the dash mount controler. At any time I can simply remove 2 screws/nuts, unplug the controler from the harness and take it out of the car. Not so easy with a turn signal handle.
When I called the Rostra Technician, he told me which wires to use, which ones not to use and which ones to splice together. The wires that were to be spliced together, I simply used crimp-on male/female connectors which will permit quick and simple unpluging of the controler harness.
Just too darn easy!

Tom Parsons
From what I've seen it appears the wires that go to the stalk switch run along the outside of the stalk handle, and then run along the outside of the steering column to go underneath the dash. Seems a little too conspicuous though some might not mind it. The aftermarket stalk handles look to be too skinny to hide any wiring behind it without being too noticeable.

The pic Frankie shows of the stalk mounted in the Mustang looks like a clean installation but appears a bit large being mounted in a vintage car.

The dash controller looks like a pretty clean install. That's the way I'm gonna go too. Maybe mount it on hinged flip out panel to hide it away under the dash when not in use.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrg
The dash controller looks like a pretty clean install. That's the way I'm gonna go too. Maybe mount it on hinged flip out panel to hide it away under the dash when not in use.
DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why didn't I think of that! Oh well--------------------

Tom Parsons
Old 11-08-2011, 11:22 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Here's the cruise unit hidden behind the right kick panel.

This is the speed generator between the tranny speedo fitting and the speedo cable.

Tom Parsons
Old 11-09-2011, 04:37 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Looking good Tom!

As a point of information I was wondering what model number Rostra CC unit did you go with?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Much better rig for speed sensing than my Mustang had. It used one (maybe two) magnets strapped to the driveshaft with a big screw-type hose clamp and a separate sensor. Cheesy and came loose more than once.

I snatched the whole cruise control out after a couple of months of owning the car right after it 'ran away' one day. Very exciting for a few seconds.

Get notified of new replies

To Update on cruise control for the 56

Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrg
Looking good Tom!

As a point of information I was wondering what model number Rostra CC unit did you go with?
Here is everything I ordered.
250-3593 Dash mount controller
250-4160 Signal (speed) generator
250-1223 Cruise control unit

It takes a little bit of doing, but you can surf around their web site and download information and instructions.
Again, their tech support people are GREAT! (they just request you THOROUGHLY read and study the instructions before calling)

Tom Parsons
Old 11-10-2011, 02:58 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Here is everything I ordered.
250-3593 Dash mount controller
250-4160 Signal (speed) generator
250-1223 Cruise control unit

It takes a little bit of doing, but you can surf around their web site and download information and instructions.
Again, their tech support people are GREAT! (they just request you THOROUGHLY read and study the instructions before calling)

Tom Parsons
Thanks Tom ..
Old 11-10-2011, 06:48 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Great write up and pictures. Keep them coming.

Quick Reply: Update on cruise control for the 56