C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Was the Corvette a good investment? Here's a snapshot from 1977.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 10:40 AM
ARed64
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Was the Corvette a good investment? Here's a snapshot from 1977..... (67HEAVEN)

In 1975 I bought my first Vette, a '63 convertible NOM car. Traded a guy my '40 Ford Deluxe Business coupe (389 Pontiac Tripower, 4 speed, 411s) plus a little cash. The Vette cost me about $2K based on the cash I paid and money in the '40 Ford (doesn't include many hours of my labor). Drove the hell out of the '63 for two years and sold it in '77 for $2k. I thought that was a great deal at the time. Drive a car for two years and sell it for what you paid.

I think the prices for mid years are a bit high from what I remember. I also remember it was very hard to sell a BB back then.

As for Corvettes vs the stock market, who knows? The Dow doesn't mean you would have seen the same returns as an individual investor. Look at the companies that were on the Dow in 1977 and look at the ones that are there today. I would bet few are the same.

I don't think anyone ever had inscribed on their headstone how much money they made in the stock market but I believe people have been buried with their Vettes!
Old 05-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Was the Corvette a good investment? Here's a snapshot from 1977..... (ARed64)

it all comes down to storage space. i have a 4 car garage, room for 1 more, a C6? GT40?, but not both. :cry
But, if i buy 20 stocks, it is only 1 page on my statement :yesnod: And headquarters is a great place to visit, and i sometimes call the CFO or CEO to talk about business. Sometimes they use my ideas, but if they do dumb things i fire them by selling the stock. :mad Last week i drove the price of a micro-cap down 20% by selling with a vengance. Made 52% in 6 months anyway.
And if i change my mind i can get the same stock back in a flash. :cool:
Old 05-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Default Re: Was the Corvette a good investment? Here's a snapshot from 1977..... (drives61)

I was stationed in Lemoore Ca 1977 and a friend picked up a clean 65 Conv for $2200.00 And even that was alot of money back then for a E-3. Wonder if he still has that car??

Quick Reply: Was the Corvette a good investment? Here's a snapshot from 1977.....