C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Coupe body support while replacing windshield frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Bdeliman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Coupe body support while replacing windshield frame

Doing a frame off on a 65 coupe and I need to have the lower left, lower right and center windshield frame replaced. I've read several articles from folks who have done similar work, but have a question. The windshield frame appears to be a major body support component. If one or more pieces of the frame are removed for any length of time, does the body need to be supported in some way so that it does not sag/bend until the frame is back in place?

Bill D.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:41 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdeliman
Doing a frame off on a 65 coupe and I need to have the lower left, lower right and center windshield frame replaced. I've read several articles from folks who have done similar work, but have a question. The windshield frame appears to be a major body support component. If one or more pieces of the frame are removed for any length of time, does the body need to be supported in some way so that it does not sag/bend until the frame is back in place?

Bill D.
Your body dolly should support the body in the same manner as the frame does, at the radiator support, #1, #3, and #4 mounts.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Bdeliman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Support

My question was not how to support the body after it is off the frame. My question is, the windshield frame seems to be a critical compenent in supporting the body/roof. If you remove part of the windshield frame, do you have to support the roof/A piller so it doesn't sag, until you can replace the windshield frame.

Bill D.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

I just had this done on my 65 coupe last winter. Yes, you should support the roof. I only had to do the lower frame, A piller cap, and the right w/s support. Obviously, take boocoo measurements. The job went very well. Pleased with the results.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Only remove and repair one section at a time. Pull measurements before you cut anything and then do the same after each repair is completed.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Tach weld some steel rod in place in an X pattern top to bottom and joined in the center with a weld, then you can remove and work on those sections safely without any undesired movement. Pilot Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe body support while replacing windshield frame

Quick Reply: Coupe body support while replacing windshield frame