C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best electronic ignition.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Mmorningstar7wn
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic ignition

Originally Posted by ikkarus1
I am thinking about changing over to electronic ignition. Those of you who have made the change, are you happy, and do you have any suggestions... products or gotchas either way.
Curious if you chose one of the electronic ignition upgrades....if so, which one, how was the installation, is it worth the work & cost, also what year do you own?
Old 09-25-2017, 01:58 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Mmorningstar7wn
Curious if you chose one of the electronic ignition upgrades....if so, which one, how was the installation, is it worth the work & cost, also what year do you own?
That's a seven year old thread. You'll probably get more interest if you start a new one.
I installed the SE Breakerless ignition on a 72 and on my 60. Super simple, remove points and condensor. bolt in module where points were, attach black wire from coil, attach "vanes" under rotor cap and reinstall. Put cap on, check timing. All done. Never have to worry about dwell, points wear, condenser failure, or distributor lobe wear again. It also eliminates the problem of shorting 12v to ground if you leave the ignition in the run position without engine running (if points happen to be closed). You can't tell it from stock with the distributor cap on, and no added or removed wires.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:43 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
That's a seven year old thread. You'll probably get more interest if you start a new one.
I installed the SE Breakerless ignition on a 72 and on my 60. Super simple, remove points and condensor. bolt in module where points were, attach black wire from coil, attach "vanes" under rotor cap and reinstall. Put cap on, check timing. All done. Never have to worry about dwell, points wear, condenser failure, or distributor lobe wear again. It also eliminates the problem of shorting 12v to ground if you leave the ignition in the run position without engine running (if points happen to be closed). You can't tell it from stock with the distributor cap on, and no added or removed wires.
And it works with ALL of the stock components, no trying to figure out ballast resistor in or out, what kind of plug wires/coil to use or how to gap the plugs. Its all I recommend now.

Too bad because the Ignitor III rev limiter is a nice touch...
Old 09-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian@Keen Parts
We sell the BreakerLess kit from M&H, and I've sent many a kit out the door, as well as using them personally, and have yet to hear a negative word about one. Nice thing, it's a one wire operation that keeps a 100% stock look, with no extra wires needed other than the factory points wire. Literally as easy as it could possibly be to install.

If you're going the route of sticking with the stock look, It's what I'd reccomend. Added bonus, it qualifies for free shipping right now as well!

http://keenparts.com/pages/search.ph...20028&year=ALL

-Ian, Keen Parts
Breakerless is the most simple and easy to install. 71,000 miles in the last few years without a problem.

Jack

Quick Reply: Best electronic ignition.