C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Turn signal cancelling switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:04 PM
wsevila
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal cancelling switch

I am replacing my turn signal cancelling switch and the Turn signal switch spring on my '62 Corvette and wanted to see if there was any literature on proper installation of these as well as rememdies for the well known problem with the switch not centering properly causing one of the tail lights not to light. I have the service manual and the assembly manual but there isn't anything specific on the turn signal. The service manual refers to the '61 full size car for the turn signal.
Thanks in advance - Ward
Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Here ya go:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1960TurnSignalMechanism.pdf (439.2 KB, 247 views)
File Type: pdf
Turn_Signal_Switch_Repair.pdf (375.8 KB, 610 views)
Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 PM
wsevila
6th Gear

Default Turn Signal Switch Repair

Hey Frankie - appreciate the quick response. But for some reason I am unable to open your files - my adoble reader does not recognize your files.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

They open for me and I've uploaded dozens of PDFs to the forum with no complaints...thinking it may be your computer. Do you get an error ? If so what ?
Old 11-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Ward, go to www.rarecorvettes.com and open the tech article on signal switch repair. It was written by Joe Calcagno and is very good, along with the rest of the articles.

John F
Old 11-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Redbird
Ward, go to www.rarecorvettes.com and open the tech article on signal switch repair. It was written by Joe Calcagno and is very good, along with the rest of the articles.

John F
That's the second PDF I attached above...be interesting to see if it opens for him on the original web site. Here is another article with more info on turn signals than you ever wanted to know:

http://www.socalsacc.com/C1%20Signal%20Lights.htm
Old 11-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

All of the pdf files shown above opened for me, but I use Foxit Reader (free pdf reader that is much faster than Adobe, and no constant bandage updates upon updates).

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

Plasticman
Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM
wsevila
6th Gear

Hey guys thanks for all your help. For whatever reason the pdfs opened today. I haven't read thru the info yet but does it say anything about the problem I mentioned - i.e., turn signal lever having to be adjusted to center it when tail lights don't light on one side or the other?
Again, really appreciate the help.
Ward
Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

As I have written in a thread previously:

Since I repaired my switch a few years ago, it has been trouble free. At that time, I found that the flat lever spring (vertical flat spring that centers the turn signal lever) needed to be a tad stiffer. But actually, just shimming that spring to the left did the trick, which then exerts more force on the lever. This spring ensures that the turn signal lever is normally centered. If your lever does not return exactly to center (with no "play"), you will end up with one brake light "out" often. The previous "fix" was to wobble the turn signal lever up/down slightly..........get's old after a while.

Plasticman
Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You can shim the flat spring as Plasticman does and/or put small brass 'bushings' on the cancellation posts as one of the article suggests.
One reason for the non-centering is that if you are using repro stuff its just not as good as the original item.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
wsevila
6th Gear

Once again, thanks for all your help. I did read thru the article and saw the piece about using brass tubes as well as Plastic Mans comment about shims. Really appreciate it guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn signal cancelling switch

Quick Reply: Turn signal cancelling switch