C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Radial Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 10:03 AM
9t6t7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Radial Tires

Other than Coker, what other makers sell redline radials and how do they rate (best to worst).
Old 05-09-2002, 12:38 AM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Radial Tires (9t6t7)

I recently purchased a set from Diamond Back Classics in SC
http://www.widewhitewalltires.com

These are Dayton Daytona SR radials (215:65R15 for me) and will roll under me from FL to Monterey CA (and back) in August.

They can make you whatever you want. (I too did not want Coker tires for a driver.)

[Modified by SebringBill, 11:41 PM 5/8/2002]
Old 05-09-2002, 12:49 AM
nolandadams@d-web.com
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Radial Tires (SebringBill)

Bill,
Just curious- why didn't you want Coker radials? Is there a problem, or appearance, or what?
Thanks, Noland Adams
Old 05-09-2002, 06:31 AM
67435animal
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Radial Tires (nolandadams@d-web.com)

Hi, Noland, I ran a set of Coker Classic Redline Radials on my 67 442. They stayed on for 8000 miles. They looked great but rode terribly. For 140.00 per tire, I expected a smooth ride with no vibration. What I got was severe vibration above 50, about 6 trips back to the tire place for balance and alignment, and loads of frustration.

When I noticed that the inner sidewall on two tires was swelling and that there was pretty noticeable wear on the edges of all four, I had had enough.

We removed the Cokers and sent them back. I received a percentage of what I had paid but no way I covered all the expense.

I have had a set of Michelins on since without one shake, no abnormal wear. They ride beautifully.

I have made a point to ask every owner whose car has Coker Classic Radials installed how they ride and most, but not all, have said they vibrate. So, it's not just me.

I did complain to Mr. Coker via e-mail and he was very responsive.

[Modified by 67435animal, 5:33 AM 5/9/2002]
Old 05-09-2002, 12:02 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Radial Tires (67435animal)

I have a set of Coker Classic wide-whitewall radials (205/75-15) on my '57; bought four years ago, about 5,000 miles on them since then. No problem balancing them, excellent ride and handling, no out-of-round or vibrations. They're not speed-rated, but I don't drive it at 90+; if I did, I'd put speed-rated Michelins on it and forget about the wide whitewalls.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:54 PM
thunder67
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Radial Tires (9t6t7)

I must agree with 67435animal, I have heard nothing but horror stories re: the ride that you get from the Coker radial. While restoring my '67, I had talked myself into wanting to go that "original" route but after talking with many people, chose to go belted. I am running a 3/4" white wall American Silver Premium Edition (I believe that they are the Tire Pro chains house brand) tire and could not be happier. They perform and ride great. Out the door, they ran me about $110 a piece. On top of general performance/cost, don't neglect to factor in the shipping costs which I figured to be about $100. as they only have one wherehouse back east and I am on the west coast. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2002, 05:19 PM
allenz
Pro

Default Re: Radial Tires (thunder67)

gents,

Just to add another 2 cents....I had Michelen radials on my 66 (white walls) pre restoration, and it rode terrific. I wanted gold lines, so I bought a set of Cokers. I thought something happened to the front end; it was terrible - must have been the Cokers.....of course I sold them and now have belted gold lines.
I never learn.....:)

Old 05-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Curtis
Racer

Default Re: Radial Tires (allenz)

I am running the same tire as JohnZ Coker radial wide whites. They ride fine with no vibration and I have had my car up over 100mph. :D I don't know about the other tires that people are talking about however. JohnZ and I are driving the same tire and are having good results.

Good luck,
Curt
Old 05-09-2002, 08:02 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

Default Re: Radial Tires (allenz)

Had goldline bias ply repros on my '65...wanted a better handling radial tire.
Went with Coker goldlines at the same time I installed bolt on knockoffs. They ride just fine...no shakes or vibrations at least up to 85mph. Had them balanced right at the Chattanooga offices of Coker...very nice folks.
:seeya
Old 05-12-2002, 03:12 AM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Radial Tires (nolandadams@d-web.com)

Hi Noland,

Every car I've been in with Coker radials had a terrible ride. IMHO Coker makes great looking square tires. Since my 57 came with Michelin X redwall radials (TR-6 OEM type) and "has had no choice but to be driven hard" (quote from a letter to me from the original owner) and will only see a trailer when stolen or broken I wanted to keep radials on the car. I found a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring Edition SSE redlines about 11 years ago in Hemmings but they have reached their useful life as first-line tires (can't imagine that my right foot had anything to do with it :jester ). I looked around for a while and found Diamondback both via the web and Hemmings. The new tires are the same size as the Uniroyals (215.65R15) and, of course, redwalls. Cost per tire including shipping was, as I recall $139. I'll letcha know at the SACC convention how I really like 'em 'cause I'll have put a few thousand miles on 'em getting out there!

Old 05-12-2002, 08:45 PM
67435animal
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Radial Tires (SebringBill)

As I said, it is not just me who has had problems with Coker Classics Radials.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Radial Tires

Quick Reply: Radial Tires