C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 door shim guestion

Old 12-11-2011, 12:17 PM
jpaul
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Default C1 door shim guestion

I decided to remove the drivers door for two reasons, fix the fiberglass at the hinges, 30 years ago the wind blew the door open and it went past the stops and broke the glass. Also the there is 0 gap at the windshield, been this way as far as I can remember. So I took the door off to repair the glass.

My dumb question is: there were no shims adjusting the door in or out, I am assuming that I will have to shim the top out, what do these look like. Are they shaped like the arm of the hindge ( retangular with 3 holes ) ??

Thanks
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 PM
steampunk c1
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Adjust with door on car lossen hinge screws and 2 bolts insede hinge and it will move in and out sligtly. the hinge bolts in the door adjust door gop at rear of door.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:36 AM
jpaul
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I already tried to adjust the door ( in/out ) by lossening those bolts, but I would only move the door up/down. The tips I read about removing the door indicated that shims could drop down the inside of the door if not careful when removing the three bolts, thats why I asked what the shims looked like.

Since the door is now off , I quess I'll have to free up the hinge itself for more adjustment

Thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I don't think that there are any "specific" shims for the C1 doors. You can only shim the door "out" not "in". I usually use a standard "U" shim of the thickness needed. If you loosen the three bolts on the hinge that you want to shim, you can slide a shim between the front side (outboard) and the nut plate that is in the door. There is not a lot of room, but you only have to get the shim between the hinge and the nutplate. When you tighten the bolts, tighten the rearmost bolt first and then the front. The hinge arm will now be pitched inboard, causing the door to move away from the car. It only takes a small amout of shim to move the door outward. Usually a 1/6" or 3/32" shim is sufficient to move the door 1/4".If you try to shim all three bolts, the hinge will remain flat, and not give you as much outward movement.

Good luck.
Mike Coletta

Get notified of new replies

To C1 door shim guestion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C1 door shim guestion