C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Are you "old school"

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:33 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

31 years old- I refer to Chilton and Haynes before starting the job to get the basics, but almost always search on this, the BMW forum or Triumph forum before I do the job.

The manuals have always made things a little overly-simplistic in my mind- like "remove the bolts and remove the ______" not mentioning that one of the bolts will require a 3/8 wrench ground down to the half it's original thickness to reach...

But the guys online (including a lot of our members) can prepare you for that stuff.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
MANY years ago, I learned EVERYTHING. Now I know it all. So when I need to work on something, I just resort to memory on how to fix it! Oh ya, and I know how to use hand tools and an oil lamp when lying on my back on a dirt drive.

Tom Parsons
FYI: I know enough to convert most of my 45 years of memory to CD and several 4 GB memory sticks. I did this the day four years ago after I couldn't remember what my wife wanted me to get her from the store.

Caught hell, but was glad I remembered to store my accolades & reminiscence. My wife was upset about her pantyhose.... I had to run back out..... The shame of it all!

rustylugnuts
Old 12-15-2011, 02:42 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
31 years old- I refer to Chilton and Haynes before starting the job to get the basics, but almost always search on this, the BMW forum or Triumph forum before I do the job.

But the guys online (including a lot of our members) can prepare you for that stuff.

I have found the forums to be the single greatest internet contribution to my mechanical life.

And with the new tablets. It can be right in the front seat with you. I do have an affection for my Chiltons. Mine only go back to the 70s.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 12-15-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:03 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My shop manuals are annotated with info needed to make the job easier when repeated. My 40+ year old parts manual has the part numbers needed to identify the old stuff, including insert pages to identify GM racing and performance parts. It has come in handy more than once to get a part from a GM warehouse that does not appear in the Chevy dealer's computer terminal.

I did server support and programming for over 30 years and know how to search on the web, but manuals seldom frustrate you with redundant entries, partial data, incorrect data, and missing data. I used manuals to do computer support, instead of the DVDs provided by vendors. If necessary, I printed the DVD content to work with.

My coworkers called me the King Of YesterTech. I took it as a compliment, since I was the one they came to asking for help.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:12 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of the online info I've collected is from this Forum. I then take the "How to" info and cross-reference it with my '62 shop manuals. I'll say it again, the knowledge contained on this Forum is astounding!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
I have found the forums to be the single greatest internet contribution to my mechanical life.

And with the new tablets. It can be right in the front seat with you. I do have an affection for my Chiltons. Mine only go back to the 70s.
What he said..
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

At 64, I'm old school laced with new school. Great info on the internet via my laptop and this web site. I seldom use my manuals (except for specs) because so many old school automotive/mechanical efforts come natural to me from 47 years of playing with mechanical things. I really enjoy these times. Dennis
Old 12-15-2011, 03:39 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Being my early sixties, I too like the printed material ( still have Chilton manuals from 1959) but must admit I do love the internet for the once in awhile stuff. The rear passenger power window went out last week in my wife's Olds Intrigue. I didn't have a clue how to get the door panel off without destroying it. I checked YouTube and sure enough A1Auto had a video up on 1998-2002 door panel removal and also regulator and motor replacement. Piece of cake with the videos and saved me a couple hundred ( that I can now spend on the vette's Christmas present).

Don
Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well now....I dunno, I was gonna contribute something but I forgot what the subject was.

Bud.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 251 Posts

Well, none of ya are TOO Ol' School if you are sitting there reading this!!!! LMAO ;{ )
Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I'll be 71 in February, and I'm a blend of old-school and computers. I use my extensive printed resources (assembly manuals, shop manuals, parts books, owner's manuals, etc.) 90% of the time; I've used them for decades, and I know exactly where to find anything I need, much faster than hunting around on the Internet, with my notes and tips added where they help.

I'm a computer power user too (my wife has two, and I have three); they're great for research and forum activity, but I prefer printed references while working on the cars. When I find something of technical or historical interest on-line, I print it and add it to my equally extensive and well-organized technical files (two file cabinets, organized by car type and UPC Group).

I'm always amazed by folks who buy 40-50-year-old cars and have virtually zero technical libraries to go with them (not even an owner's manual), when the correct factory manuals and references are readily available; do they really think that anywhere they go to get their car fixed is going to have correct references for a 50-year-old car? When someone spends a year's salary for a "weekend" car, what's a couple hundred bucks for the correct technical references that go with it? What do you suppose those of us who have been restoring these cars for the last 40 years did for information before the Internet?
I'm trying hard to be less critical with the younger, less knowledgeable generations because I often p!$$ them off-------------------------and that's not always my intention (although, sometimes it is).
Sooooooooooooooooo, I'm extremely thankful that John made the above comments-----------------because I've often wanted to express those same thoughts out loud, but didn't dare.
John, THANKS for making those observations/comments so that the unknowledgeable youngins don't get bent out of shape with me!!!

I'm continually amazed that basic, fundamental mechanics are now rocket science to many people. Today's "technicians" (no longer mechanics) R&R stuff until the computer gives a good code. I learned, and still do, to remove, disassemble, repair and/or rebuild a part and put it back on and go on down the road with a like new part re-installed. One very simple example, I NEVER replace a leaking wheel cylinder. I buy a kit, hone the cylinder, rebuild it and put it back on.

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 12-15-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:47 PM
aclassicnut
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Veteran

I still refer to my pair of "MOTOR MANUAL"s,dated 64-70 & 71-76. It has all of the greasy fingerprints on some pages from days gone by. From AMC cars to Voltzwagen.

Has anyone else still uses this great american book?

Max
Greensboro, NC

PS if anyone needs something scaned, let me know and I'll try to send it to them
Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 AM
Curvette1
Safety Car

Received 182 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I am old school.
I like to use books, but sometimes, (often) I have unusual questions and KNOW I can find an answer on the internet.
It IS pretty amazing that we can view videos, photos, from around the world at our fingertips, basically anything we want to know we can find out.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 AM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by aclassicnut
I still refer to my pair of "MOTOR MANUAL"s,dated 64-70 & 71-76. It has all of the greasy fingerprints on some pages from days gone by. From AMC cars to Voltzwagen.

Has anyone else still uses this great american book?

Max
Greensboro, NC

PS if anyone needs something scaned, let me know and I'll try to send it to them
I have the one my dad got in the '60s. Learned to ID every car on the road based off of the front end pics of the various makes/models. Great resource book.

I like using both. I'll refer to the books/manuals first, then if I get hung up, refer to you all first. Books are easier to throw around in the garage, and to get greasy. Also eaier to take to the "library" for studying right before bed
Old 12-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I have an extensive technical library on my '61 (and C1s in genera)l on my computer. It includes on-line versions of tech manuals, downloads from tech web sites, stored emails from pros that gave me tips....posts from here from experts. I hardly ever need to go beyond that anymore.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:15 AM
isac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Hello
I was looking at my Chiltons and General mechanic book from 1969. Both are over 40 years old now. The neighbohood kid came over to chit chat and then asked me my I was reading a "old book" and not looking on the internet for answers? I always had a chilton or other some kind repair manual in my hands to find and answer. I guess print is really dying out and younger people will use the internet instead of a repair manual. I guess sign of the times and the kid thinks I'm and (gulp) old man. I guess I am old school at 43
At 48 I'm not so old school but I think old's cool
Old 12-18-2011, 05:24 PM
mike16
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have chiltons manuals that date back to the late 40's. theres alot of troubleshooting and repair proceedures that are absent from manuals by the early 60's.

How many of us know how to rebuild an old lead acid battery....or even that it could be done?

How do you user a vacuum guage? or adjust a voltage regulator, or reline brake shoes.

I love the most the vocational high school autoshop manuals from the early to late 50's.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:39 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm probably more new school than old even though I'm 63. I'm an engineer and been using computers since....well, can't remember that far back! I still have my Motors Auto Repair manuals for most of the 60s and 70s but frequently just turn to my iphone for any quick reference for what I don't remember or am too lazy to find in a manual.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Availability of information online has not eliminated the "Bubba improvements" I find on used cars. Maybe they're gaming or viewing **** instead?

Quick Reply: Are you "old school"